Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    • Whenever someone starts with "Doctor Oz said ..." I just start tuning out at that point.
    • The when and why to drink water memes. Also the lemon or fruit water things. Water is good, fruit is good, but they don't have magical properties
    • The whole alkaline thing ... having to raise the pH in your system by your foods. If the body was that sensitive to pH in what we ate, we'd never have survived to discover fire.
    • I agree with the "women shouldn't lift" thing. Someone told me a woman's body was only designed to lift 35 pounds (and a man 50 or something). Say what?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh! Where do I start? I've been here since April 2011. I lost over 60 pounds and hit my goal weight back in May of 2012. I've been maintaining ever since. I think I've been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, but people keep telling me the following 'facts' that I have found personally to be untrue.

1) Walking isn't real exercise and isn't enough for anyone to lose weight or be fit.

2) Lots of small meals will help you lose faster than eating three normal meals.

3) You need to keep your carbs under 100g a day to lose weight!

4) Fruit is bad for you because it has too much sugar.

5) Fat makes you fat.

6) You should do a cleanse/detox!

7) Drinking water helps you lose weight and flushes away toxins!

8) You can't lose weight if you eat in the evening.

• ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Worst advice for me is "just be happy the way you are.."
    If I was happy I wouldn't be dieting and I would appreciate some support MOTHER!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The first is when someone comments on my food diary without my asking them to. And I mean telling me what I should eat differently. This is my journey. Sometimes I experiment with different foods or plans to see how they affect me. And sometimes I just need a damn bowl of ice cream!

Oh - ME TOO! I actually stopped having my completed diary post to my wall because I had one friend that kept making judge-y comments on my food choices. My diary is still open to friends, but I keep it under the radar because I got tired of their running commentary. I will eat fried chicken if I feel like it - and no, you don't get input!

• OliviaCounts
    OliviaCounts Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "Oh make sure you don't lose too much weight. You're starting to look really thin."
    I know what a healthy weight looks and feels like, thank you.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights." A coworker once told me I lifted heavy because I "want to be a man."

Ugh god. So many women don't understand why I lift. Or they "worry" about me. So glad I have friends on here I can talk to.

wow....I look at you and really wish I could do exactly what you do!

:* Thank you

Also-you can! lol.

I have been advised to only lift 10lbs by my doctor who is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. He said to just do more reps. :/ I have arthritis in my hands that radiates down my arms and in my back and neck also. Lumbar stenosis and radiculitis. I also compressed a vertebrae in 2014. Physio didn't seem to help. I really do want to lift and will see my doctor again this year. I'm ordering New Rules of Lifting for Women. I will talk to him about it again this year before I start any program.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "You really shouldn't run. It's bad for your knees."

This, usually offered by people whose exercise routine consists mostly of getting up for another snack.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    "You're pregnant?? Oh well now you are eating for two, have an extra plate!"

"You know they say counting calories is the WORST way to lose weight."

My BF, even though I love him very much... as never once in his life had to ever think about the amount he eats let alone losing weight. After a year of counting calories and seeing me lose 66lbs he's stopped giving me advice... but every now and then he will want me to read some stupid article about how counting calories does nothing for losing weight... What more do I have to do to prove that wrong, and what do I have to do to get you to stop reading that crap??
  • saltysurf6
    saltysurf6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any unsolicited advice irritates me right now.

I'm 44 years old, not a stupid person, and I'm certainly not afraid to ask for help when I need it. I haven't been obese my whole life, and I'm very well aware of how I got fat in the first place. With that said, I have so much to learn... so much! I just wish people (especially the ones who have zero experience or success rate with losing weight) would keep the unsolicited advice to themselves.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As a female I get a lot of annoying comments about diet/exercise. I get a lot of comments about other people's injuries when they were young and how I'll also hurt myself. (Usually you find out the person over did it and that is how the injury happened.) The other advise I get comes as I start to take off pounds then I get cautionary advise from people that had , had eating disorders. My husband gives me advise on routes to take, how to walk correctly and being friendlier as I'm walking as he feels I look grumpy as I walk. All the advise drives me crazy as a whole because I like to be just left alone to do my thing as it's my time for me.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Worst advice for me is "just be happy the way you are.."
    If I was happy I wouldn't be dieting and I would appreciate some support MOTHER!!

I always call my mom MOTHER when I'm upset at something she's said too LOL
    when she hears the eyes rolling and the "yes, mother" she just stops now-a-days
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1. "Clean" eating, when most people cannot even describe that accurately.
    2. No carbs, no dairy, no sugar, etc. I personally will not sustain that. More power to you if you can....
    3. No eating after 6:00 (or any specific time)
    4. Shakeology.... If I see one more most on my facebook about that I may explode.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    At this point in my journey, I don't pay alot of attention to advice from "outsiders." Unless they can prove 1st hand results, it's not worth my time. I do find it annoying when I hear others talking about short cuts to lose weight; x pill, y drug, abc cleanse (this morning I heard the "Taco cleanse".. on the morning national news..... really????), all organic this, no fat that, no carb.. all grapefruit something or another... It's maddening. I just quietly nod and say nothing. If they ask me how I did it (I'm down almost 70 pounds), I tell them;Exercise and watching what I eat very carefully. It didn't get on there overnight, it's not coming off that way either.
    I've pretty much formulated what works for me... they need to find their own formula that fits their mindset and lifestyle.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Any amount of claims from people who spend their days drinking alcohol and eating snack food that diet coke will make me fat. If that were true, I'd be fat by now.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "You should treat yourself, you earned it" or " You should give yourself a break on counting calories for a bit, you don't want to over do it."
    I have worked so hard for a reason, stop telling me to "treat myself" because I don't need to. I don't deprive myself of things I want. I eat them in moderation within my calories/macros.

^This and add that heavy lifting will make you bulky, so I shouldn't. I should do just very light weights and high reps. I actually got into a full out argument with someone that was a "certified" personal trainer. "So am I bulky? Because I lift heavy." I have big legs, but that's genetics - not from my beloved squat rack.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All the detoxes and the WRAPS. Oh, the wraps. So annoying.

Yes, the wraps! Why is it that whenever I see a vehicle driving around with all that advertising for the wraps, it's an overweight person in the driver's seat? I mean not that I care about a person's weight, but when you're touting a weight-loss product, shouldn't the seller be a ringing endorsement?

HAHAHA this is so true, and I am so tired of all my friends trying to get ME to sell them too!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When my friend told me before our vacation "I know that you have been working very hard to lose weight, so during vacation I'm going to help you to stay on track"

WTF - I just looked at her and said "I appreciate your concern, but I'm a grown-up and I'm not asking permission to eat or drink whatever I want on vacation"
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    As a female I get a lot of annoying comments about diet/exercise. I get a lot of comments about other people's injuries when they were young and how I'll also hurt myself. (Usually you find out the person over did it and that is how the injury happened.) The other advise I get comes as I start to take off pounds then I get cautionary advise from people that had , had eating disorders. My husband gives me advise on routes to take, how to walk correctly and being friendlier as I'm walking as he feels I look grumpy as I walk. All the advise drives me crazy as a whole because I like to be just left alone to do my thing as it's my time for me.

I had people constantly asking me if I was losing weight healthy. "are you being healthy? make sure you're being healthy" yikes..
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hate any diet advice.. do this diet, try that diet, cut out this, don't eat that....

I know it is all well intended but the fact is that we all have to find our own way. We have to find something we as INDIVIDUALS can live with. Just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it will for ME
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

i am one giant carb
    i would be a miserable near death zombie if ihad to eat low carb omg the horror