Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have one friend, who when she knows I'm watching my food intake, will question me when I choose to make a 'not so good' choice (ie. should you be having that?). I know it comes from a good place, but it's annoying. I'm in control, I decide when I go off-plan a bit or not.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A guy I work with told me you can't lose weight eating cereal. :neutral:
    He also eats fast food EVERY SINGLE DAY for breakfast AND lunch.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights." A coworker once told me I lifted heavy because I "want to be a man."

Ugh god. So many women don't understand why I lift. Or they "worry" about me. So glad I have friends on here I can talk to.

wow....I look at you and really wish I could do exactly what you do!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I should try "clean eating" to which I replied "I wash my fruit before eating it, does that count?" Surprisingly, that person doesn't talk to me about nutrition advice anymore.

this made me LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights." A coworker once told me I lifted heavy because I "want to be a man."

Ugh god. So many women don't understand why I lift. Or they "worry" about me. So glad I have friends on here I can talk to.

wow....I look at you and really wish I could do exactly what you do!

:* Thank you

Also-you can! lol.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    My most hated advice:

After I tell someone about Ketogenics:
    Are you serious? Carbs are healthy! You can't live without rice, pasta, bread, pizza, doughnuts, and crack!

Well, maybe you can live without rice, bread, pizza and donuts but me, I prefer to eat them and still lose weight. Countless others on this site have been very successful at losing weight eating while still eating carbs.
  • kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "You should try this cleanse! My chiropractor recommends it."

That's nice dear. It sounds very exciting for you. But you have the necessary organs to cleanse yourself, without going hungry on whatever juice she's sold you on this time.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

How does that work exactly? I must be a special snowflake because I eat carbs at every single meal (and snack) and I've managed to lose weight. I must be an anomaly.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    All the detoxes and the WRAPS. Oh, the wraps. So annoying.

Yes, the wraps! Why is it that whenever I see a vehicle driving around with all that advertising for the wraps, it's an overweight person in the driver's seat? I mean not that I care about a person's weight, but when you're touting a weight-loss product, shouldn't the seller be a ringing endorsement?

This made me laugh as soon as I saw it. There is a girl I work with who sells the wraps, and is always claiming how passionate she is about the products. She KNOWS they really work because she's done wraps on so many people! The catch is, she's probably at least 100 pounds overweight, if not more, and has been for as long as I've known her (several years). If weight loss was as easy as doing wraps and she's so passionate, wouldn't they be working for her, too? Food for thought....

It's annoying when I get people who tell me not to lose more weight because I'm not overweight anymore, even though I'm 5'6" and 180. Thanks for the advice, but I'd like to be at a healthy weight....

I also like the people who try to tell me they can't lose weight because they're addicted to drinking Diet Coke. You know, because it has so many calories. You can't make this stuff up...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another coworker keeps telling me the only real way to lose weight is to eat clean and cut out sugar for your diet. I usually just change the subject.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Anything that comes out of my mothers mouth. She is on that Dr. Oz magic beans time and is quick to make a comment if I put a few pounds on.

Or when someone tells you how a certain diet is the only way to go because it works for them. My diet is so ridiculously unhealthy I would never recommend or even spell it out for someone LOL.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yeah at 295 lbs the beginning of my journey, someone I know, said you don't need to count calories, just eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. I said have you ever been overweight I have well over 100 lbs to lose so yes I need to track maybe one day I won't need to. Plus I am always hungry and never full. I had to educate myself on food and what I should and should not be putting in my body. Carbs do not make you fat, I eat anywhere between 80 to 200 grams of carbs a day and I have lost just over 60 lbs so far, very close to 70. I get most of my carbs from veggies and fruits and I still eat bread, not as much as I did before but I still like toast once in a while.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

Just as annoying this time as any other time.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hate when people still tell me to stop eating bread!!!! Umm, I've lost 60+ lbs eating lots of carbs, I think I'm okay LOL.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    To eat breakfast because it will boost my metabolism. What? No. I hate breakfast. I despise breakfast. I don't want to eat breakfast. Not only that, there has been no research to show it does anything to your metabolism. So leave my breakfastlessness alone!

+1
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yeah at 295 lbs the beginning of my journey, someone I know, said you don't need to count calories, just eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. I said have you ever been overweight I have well over 100 lbs to lose so yes I need to track maybe one day I won't need to. Plus I am always hungry and never full. I had to educate myself on food and what I should and should not be putting in my body. Carbs do not make you fat, I eat anywhere between 80 to 200 grams of carbs a day and I have lost just over 60 lbs so far, very close to 70. I get most of my carbs from veggies and fruits and I still eat bread, not as much as I did before but I still like toast once in a while.

LOL. In the beginning its super important to count calories because you need be able to judge calories in the foods you eat. On the other hand people who weigh their food for the entire duration of the diet are setting themselves up for failure when they hit their goal weight. BRB bringing a scale to the restaurant for the rest of your life.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The first is when someone comments on my food diary without my asking them to. And I mean telling me what I should eat differently. This is my journey. Sometimes I experiment with different foods or plans to see how they affect me. And sometimes I just need a damn bowl of ice cream!

The second is my husband constantly telling me that I cannot lose weight when I eat at night. Bullsh*t! I have actually lost 16 pounds in the last month and I eat almost every night. This coming from a very unhealthy man who hasn't read one iota about weight loss maybe in his entire life.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    To eat breakfast because it will boost my metabolism. What? No. I hate breakfast. I despise breakfast. I don't want to eat breakfast. Not only that, there has been no research to show it does anything to your metabolism. So leave my breakfastlessness alone!

LOL yes! Thank you! This is my mom...Every morning she calls me...did you eat your breakfast yet?? Good god mother I'm 30 years old I eat when I want lol
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My most hated advice:

After I tell someone about Ketogenics:
    Are you serious? Carbs are healthy! You can't live without rice, pasta, bread, pizza, doughnuts, and crack!

Carbs don't make you fat ... keto works great for some, not so well for others.

I hate the "this is THE way to lose weight" ideas. All you need is a calorie deficit. There are many ways to achieve that. Some people do better on low carb, some need to low carb for other medical conditions. Other people don't want or need it. Same for other eating styles (paleo, HCLF, etc).
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Any advice at this point is really annoying. Even though I've lost close to 80 pounds, people still feel like they know more than I do about my body.

This ^ Unless it comes from my fifteens instructor or doctor.
    seems like most who give me "advice" never lost weight themselves and are just telling me something they heard on tv or read on the internet or magazine.