Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• PunkRockChris
    PunkRockChris Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Running over 1 mile is simply unhealthy :D
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    anything without thinking you have already tried. unsolicited advice is never appreciated.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It doesn't annoy me, but "I bet you can eat whatever you want" is the silliest assumption that people make. Since when did I want to eat anything but bread, cheese, and dessert, all day long?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Running over 1 mile is simply unhealthy :D
    ...That disgusting 5k culture trying to ruin our children's future. XD

The only thing that's ever been annoying is the idea that to lose weight, I had to stop eating "bad foods". It go to the point to where if someone invited me somewhere, another person would answer for me, saying "No, CoocooPuffs can't eat there. She doesn't eat bad foods"

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Anything I eat after 7:00 P.M. turns straight to fat.For me that is 300 calories a day that turns straight to fat,
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    "Eat meat."

Pffffft. Because that magically solves every problem in the book.
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    "Eat meat."

Worst advice: "Don't eat meat! Save the animals!"

• smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

They make you as fat as protein does. And less fat than fat does. But who's counting
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose weight, you look great."
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    firead wrote: »
    The most annoying for me is people telling me I shouldn't lift until I lose more weight, because any muscle I put on might keep the pounds from falling off. Makes me want to shake people because, even though I do have a lot of pounds to lose, my main goals right now are building strength and endurance for a job that requires both.

This usually stops when I tell them I'm a firefighter and will be training to be an EMT also, and my main priority is being able to lift people onto stretchers or drag/carry them out of buildings if need be, not to squeeze into a bikini sooner.

Thank you for your dedication to doing your job well!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Why do you not just eat less?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Any amount of claims from people who spend their days drinking alcohol and eating snack food that diet coke will make me fat. If that were true, I'd be fat by now.

Yes! You can have my diet coke (and diet mt dew) when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Anything and everything related to organic/GMO/eating clean.

Yes! Hand in hand with all the folks who think eating vegan will make them lose weight (i.e., my inlaws).

I keep the fact that I'm losing weight largely to myself. My one supportive friend I am really honest with and she knows I struggle with overeating and she never gives me stupid/crazy advice, she's just really supportive all the time, especially of my exercise (she is a PT) which I think is a good approach, because for me personally that's something I have more control over. My parents who mean well will say things like "why don't you just pack a lunch every day" and I have to explain it's all mental and not that I fail to plan. In fact I do pretty well restricting my calories during the day, and don't even feel hungry after whatever I've planned for lunch. It's dinners/desserts when I'm tired. It's not driving into fast food and going home and taking the time to make the dinner I planned instead of the easy/more delicious (to my addicted brain) option. It's not that I am just too stupid to figure out meal planning, sheesh.
  • happyscruffy
    happyscruffy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    After publicly humiliating me about my weight in front of a room full of people someone went on to try and sell me alo vera gel insisting it will cure me
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just eat smaller portions.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I saw this and not much to contribute, but I would like to know who the "he" is.. Just a guy friend? It seems something may be there that you take to heart and that his guy friend is making you think a a lot about things that really may not matter in the scheme of things..

Most people either do not know or do not care and I see this as wanted comments. I don't think in your case it up to debate, not warranting a heated conversation that needs to move in a direction other than to say, "ok, I see your point of view".

Why try to explain anything to anyone other than yourself about why and what you are doing.

And if you gained it back, you know you can loose it, and if you don't want to gain it all, just don't eat it and make choices you know that will not end up on waistline.. This is not rocket science even to the guy friend who is fit and in shape.. he knows what is really going on, he is trying jerk some kind of chain for some reason..

Perfect example
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    smis92103 wrote: »

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

They make you as fat as protein does. And less fat than fat does. But who's counting

Carbs don't make you fat, take it from a fat guy @clobern80

Here are pretty pictures for those of you having a hard time with words:

bh69gt74ybdd.jpeg

Or maybe you just eat too much.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    After losing a significant amount of weight: "Don't gain it back!"

Um, thanks? I hadn't thought about that at all.

And then I gained it all back.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Just eat X Y and Z
    me: I cannot eat gluten

Then eat A B and C
    me: I still cannot eat gluten

Then have some couscous
    me: I cannot eat gluten!!!
    Him: But it is couscous! (me: "facepalms)

But why do you not eat fish and chips?
    Me: I cannot have gluten and I am trying to loose weight.
    But it is fish?
    Me: Yes, covered in a wheat batter!
    Why do you not just peel off the batter and eat just the fish like I do?
    Me: It will make me ill, I cannot have gluten, wheat is gluten-filled! Besides I am on a calorie controlled diet.
    Just eat the chips then??
    Me: I am trying to loose weight and the chips is fried with the fish so I cannot eat it.
    But surely the oil fries off the gluten so you can eat it?
    Me: "facepalms"

At this point I walked off.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It's not so much the what but the who.....overweight and/or unfit so & so's preaching at you about what you should do according to them....