Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Oh gosh! Where do I start? I've been here since April 2011. I lost over 60 pounds and hit my goal weight back in May of 2012. I've been maintaining ever since. I think I've been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, but people keep telling me the following 'facts' that I have found personally to be untrue.

1) Walking isn't real exercise and isn't enough for anyone to lose weight or be fit.

2) Lots of small meals will help you lose faster than eating three normal meals.

3) You need to keep your carbs under 100g a day to lose weight!

4) Fruit is bad for you because it has too much sugar.

5) Fat makes you fat.

6) You should do a cleanse/detox!

7) Drinking water helps you lose weight and flushes away toxins!

8) You can't lose weight if you eat in the evening.

:smile: Ha! Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Those, and:

9) Sugar is a poison

10) Don't eat GMOs

11) Eat Organic
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'd love to answer honestly but too many sensitive ppl on MFP .........hmmmppphhh
    cldoh2dbwgz1.jpg
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't really find any advice annoying. They are just trying to help. But, then again i don't advertise the fact I'm trying to lose weight. I do find it annoying sometimes when people say to cut out carbs. Carbs are freaking awesome
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    People who tell me about the latest "diet" they are on.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tried slimming world diet.. What a flippin laugh., telling me 'Mrs always been over weight' that I can eat as much pasta, jackets potatoes and as many bananas as I like.. Do you know how much I can eat!! I eat until it's coming back up my neck, I never feel full,I have no cut off switch.. I gained weight. !!!!
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh and.. You're so tall, you carry you're weight well, you're fine as you are! Arghhh! Try telling that to my knees when they are struggling to get me up the stairs.. Been on this 30 days now, lost 10lbs.. Knees are loving it ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Any advice that makes diet more complicated than it should be. Cutting out food groups/reducing certain macros, meal timing, fasted vs fuel cardio, breakfast, number of meals, very particular macro distributions, clean eating, most plans that have a name, magic potions and concoctions...etc. Even if there is merit in anything that makes it more complicated, it's not worth the effort of stressing myself out to achieve 100% of my potential weight loss per week when I'm comfortably happy to achieve 99% without spending most of my energy on that 1%.
  • turtleskates
    turtleskates Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    People who say that it's somehow *only* possible to lose weight by eating certain foods. I've been told more often than I can count that I need to cut this or that out of my diet or I'll never get there. But hey, I'm still eating whatever I want and I've lost 26 lbs so far. How *much* you eat is what makes the difference!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    People ask how I am losing weight so I give a short answer of counting calories.

Immediately their eyes glaze over and they start insisting I have to give up carbs or I'll never lose. I'm sorry but wasn't the topic of the conversation the fact that I've already lost a decent amount of weight without giving any type of food up? I don't shove my method at anyone nor tell them theirs is wrong (well I pipe up a little at the very low calorie mostly to say check with your dr).

One lady got really upset and said I had to give up ALL white foods because that's how she lost 100 lbs. She was frantic. She also wasn't even in my original conversation lol. I think she was angry she suffered and I don't. I told her I have no medical reason to do low carb and she said she didn't either.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights." A coworker once told me I lifted heavy because I "want to be a man."

Ugh god. So many women don't understand why I lift. Or they "worry" about me. So glad I have friends on here I can talk to.

wow....I look at you and really wish I could do exactly what you do!

:* Thank you

Also-you can! lol.

I have been advised to only lift 10lbs by my doctor who is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. He said to just do more reps. :/ I have arthritis in my hands that radiates down my arms and in my back and neck also. Lumbar stenosis and radiculitis. I also compressed a vertebrae in 2014. Physio didn't seem to help. I really do want to lift and will see my doctor again this year. I'm ordering New Rules of Lifting for Women. I will talk to him about it again this year before I start any program.

@Debmal77 I wouldn't look at weight bearing if you've been medically advised against it but at bodyweight
    It's about progressive resistance and doing what you can
    Check with your med team but rather than NROLFW perhaps

You are your own gym
    Convict conditioning
    Or even this ..it's a decent programme but I'd avoid the gallon jug http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Most annoying advice? Really those at work that fall into the bro-science department and start a new fad diet every month or so or follow the next fad diet guru, cut out whatever foodgroup is in fashion at that stage. They then tell me what I am doing is weird and does not work.

Sorry but I am the one consistenly loosing over the last two years. I am healthier and fitter now than two yours ago they are not. Well if that is weird then I'll be weird happily :smiley:
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    This lady at work who wants to re-tell me her eating habits almost everyday. All these archaic fad-diet elements, like "just get the sugar free version, low fat version"

Whatever lady.

How about instead of preaching to me about how much you love all that pre-packaged-artificial sweetener-chemically-garbage, you shut up and let me eat my bowl of chicken and vegetables.

They aren't sugar free, sorry.

This. It is a woman at my work is always doing WW, she loses 20 and puts it back on so goes back into crazy WW points counting. She eats everything low fat or sugar free. No thank you.

She will also look at my meal and say stuff like, "Oh, I bet that would use more than half my daily points!" or "Wow, that is a big lunch you are having. My points would never allow that"

STFU
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    To eat breakfast because it will boost my metabolism. What? No. I hate breakfast. I despise breakfast. I don't want to eat breakfast. Not only that, there has been no research to show it does anything to your metabolism. So leave my breakfastlessness alone!

Preach it brother. The only thing I want in the morning is COFFEE
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "Counting calories is an eating disorder. "

So I guess making sure your checkbook is balanced is a financial disorder with this logic.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    "Counting calories is an eating disorder. "

So I guess making sure your checkbook is balanced is a financial disorder with this logic.

I snorted!

I also often get the don't eat anything after 7 pm and the weight will just fly off. I was raised by a Frenchman, and our meals usually took a good hour and didn't start till after 8 and a lot of friends blame my late eating on my weight....

Oh and "you must not have anything hanging around for motivation. If you hang out a smaller sized dress or jeans you'll lose weight easier." - I HATE than one!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    People who say that it's somehow *only* possible to lose weight by eating certain foods. I've been told more often than I can count that I need to cut this or that out of my diet or I'll never get there. But hey, I'm still eating whatever I want and I've lost 26 lbs so far. How *much* you eat is what makes the difference!

Exactly, @turtleskates !

People love to complicate things for themselves.

I think that's so they can give up more easily. It's stupid.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »
    smis92103 wrote: »
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

They make you as fat as protein does. And less fat than fat does. But who's counting

Carbs don't make you fat, take it from a fat guy @clobern80

Here are pretty pictures for those of you having a hard time with words:

bh69gt74ybdd.jpeg

Oh this ^^^^ hilarious!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!

Premise: You are hungry. Then.....

Your brain "thinks about carbohydrates and secretes insulin"......

So if you are hungry and your brain 'thinks' about Protein or Fat then you "Won't" secrete insulin????

SMH
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hunby's solution---"just buy bigger pants."
  • mallyonlean
    mallyonlean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    worst i advice i get, is really the list of things people run down that are bad for you, when you tell them your on working on losing weight
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Very very little has EVER been said to me about this stuff. I really put off this vibe of like "weight/body stuff is very personal to me, do NOT talk to me about it". I did that always, at 300+ and I do it just as much now at a healthy average weight.

But of the bad advice or "not useful to me" advice that I hear constantly...my personal fave is "just eat when you're hungry" usually said by people who reportedly drink black coffee all morning and then eat 1/3 of a turkey sandwich at 5 pm and somehow have weighed the same overweight amount for the past 30 years. Yeah. Naw.