Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    That I won't lose weight eating as much as I do. I've lost over 80 lbs eating like 2500-4000 calories a day. I'd sooner be happy with my food AND weight loss than be miserable.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Last year, I signed up for a different forum around weight loss when I was thinking of starting a health regime, and someone just kept sending me (and various other people) shouty messages like "WE CAN DO THIS!!! BURN THAT FAT OFF!!! LETS GET MOVING!!!".
    I left the forum pretty much straight away. Some people respond to that kind of thing, but I can't stand people who are unnecessarily aggressive. I didn't want to be on a boot-camp style forum (which it probably wasn't looking back), which is why I've found MFP so useful. Its friendly and supportive, and fun.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    So-called MFP "friend" who would peruse my food diary daily and then advise me what I was doing wrong. I usually eat a little something light before a workout or I can get really dizzy and lightheaded. She said I should never eat anything before working out because I wouldn't burn any fat that way. That I should just keep going and the dizziness would pass. Right. I'd love to just pass out and fall off the treadmill. :p

Before I had the chance, this person "unfriended" ME for not listening to her advice! Blessing in disguise!
    My biology teacher once told us that you burn double the calories working out on an empty stomach. I believed her for years

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I just want to rant about a guy a work who piped up during a discussion abiut weigjt with his insight that ' men prefer women curvy '. This made my blood boil for the following reasons:
    - Skinny does not exclude curves. Its perfectly possible to be skinny and curvy. Dita von teese is a perfect example. She is tiny very but curvy. ( 33 inch hips)
    - he was implying that women's bodies should be dictated by mens whims. Plus he is generalising. I know many men who prefer extreamly slender body shapes. As many as i know who prefer large breasts.
    - the worst part is that his daughter is annorexic and if he is spouting this bs to her then he is telling her that she should be aiming to please men and that attractiveness to men is important, over pleasing herself.
  • JennAngel001
    JennAngel001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When friends or people I know try to sell me products. Ughhh no
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    "Counting calories is an eating disorder. "

So I guess making sure your checkbook is balanced is a financial disorder with this logic.

darn it. I should not have been drinking coffee while reading this! :D Best response I've read so far!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's funny how everyone becomes an expert to your health.. haha

But a few of my top pieces I despise hearing:

1. you have to eat breakfast, if you don't you'll mess up your metabolism for the day and store more fat
    2. Starvation mode - Eating only lunch and dinner means your body goes into starvation mode
    3. heavy lifting will make you bulky
    4. eating after a certain time makes your body store more fat

I've probably heard them all! I got into a verbal argument with a "certified" personal trainer that was arguing I'd be bulky with heavy lifting.. riightttt, I must hide the bulk well. This isn't really advice I've received, but someone actually said to me that I'm doing a really good job at keeping the weight off. Like what makes you think it's appropriate to comment on my weight?

People. Are. Insane.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    "What are you doing to lose all the weight?"
    *tells them*
    "Oh well I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable."

Who said anything about me being miserable? I'm going out, able to buy clothes, feeling fantastic and confident and strong.
  • fitblackchic
    fitblackchic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The most annoying advice is:
    1. You don't need to lose anymore weight.
    2. You can eat that, you exercise.
    :(
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When friends or people I know try to sell me products. Ughhh no

I have a friend who does that too. I felt bad just saying no, but I don't need special products or workout things to do. I think it was the 21 day fix if I'm not mistaken.. To each their own, but I'm good. lol
  • fitblackchic
    fitblackchic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    An idiot once told me to eat clay.

:o
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I recently left a FB group I was in after 3 days. All I kept seeing from the admin was:

1) Coffee speeds your metabolism.
    2) You HAVE to eat breakfast or your body will go into starvation mode. (If I eat breakfast I will get sick 100% of the time)
    3) If you haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks, go on a 10 day cleanse.

After the coffee one I asked for sources. She had none. I posted a link that said there was no proof it did help in weight loss other than being an appetite suppressant (maybe that's why I can't eat breakfast?) and she went batcrap crazy on me and said "I am tired of arguing with people over this!" Well, if you actually had evidence to back up your BS statements, maybe you wouldn't be arguing with people over it. Just saying.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You'll get bulky or injured from lifting heavy.
    You'll get just as strong doing body pump as strong lifts.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I must cleanse and detox ....its vital for my bowel health and if I don't I'll get cancer and die
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The most annoying advice I've received in more than one occasion and from different people... Don't lose too much weight and gain too much muscle because girls don't like that.

Oh, excuse me, I forgot to mention I'm doing this for myself not for you, or anyone else. If a girl doesn't like it, I could care less. I know plenty of other girls who loves big muscles.
  • strlslvr987
    strlslvr987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I haven't told many people about my weight loss plans. Everyone has a theory and a method they think works. The truth is what works for one doesn't work for all. I resist the urge to tell people what works for me because most of them would shoot it down anyway. Subtle (and not so subtle) sabotage is all around us!
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »
    smis92103 wrote: »
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

They make you as fat as protein does. And less fat than fat does. But who's counting

Carbs don't make you fat, take it from a fat guy @clobern80

Here are pretty pictures for those of you having a hard time with words:

It won't matter how much weight you lose if you stay ugly on the inside. People see that eventually too. Maybe you should try some carbs, you seem grumpy.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I have a favorite few, shared by most of us it seems: the clean food one..if it hasn't rolled in the dirt it's clean to me, the detoxes and the cutting out of entire food groups and demonizing food..those all irritate the hell out of me.
    And when you are losing and feeling good about yourself someone saying it's time to stop when you are well aware of the point in your weight loss and whether you are there yet. Usually made by people who need to lose weight themselves.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    It won't matter how much weight you lose if you stay ugly on the inside. People see that eventually too. Maybe you should try some carbs, you seem grumpy.

Haha, I like you. This is the second thread I have seen him call someone fat on. On another thread, he told a 22 year old recovering from an ED that is afraid of gyms and wearing "revealing" clothing that women in pink yoga pants doing kegal exercises in front of him is distracting...wear sweatpants instead. Classy guy and super supportive.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I haven't told many people about my weight loss plans. Everyone has a theory and a method they think works. The truth is what works for one doesn't work for all. I resist the urge to tell people what works for me because most of them would shoot it down anyway. Subtle (and not so subtle) sabotage is all around us!

Yeah, I didn't tell anyone this time around either. When I tried in the past, I was bombarded with every *kitten* piece of advice already mentioned here and more. So this time around, I kept it to myself. However, now that it's getting noticeable, it's starting up again. >:( You'd think that demonstrating success would mean that I clearly don't need advice, but it never does...