Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• vhbredehoeft
    vhbredehoeft Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of hearing about people's weight loss shake powder, or recipes and to replace a meal a day with them.

I like to chew my food, thanks. And the powder tastes chalky. Bleck. Lol
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »
    smis92103 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

They make you as fat as protein does. And less fat than fat does. But who's counting

Carbs don't make you fat, take it from a fat guy @clobern80

Here are pretty pictures for those of you having a hard time with words:

bh69gt74ybdd.jpeg

This is satire, right? Please, tell me this is poorly done satire. You don't really believe this, right?

:no_mouth:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights." A coworker once told me I lifted heavy because I "want to be a man."

Ugh god. So many women don't understand why I lift. Or they "worry" about me. So glad I have friends on here I can talk to.

wow....I look at you and really wish I could do exactly what you do!

:* Thank you

Also-you can! lol.

I have been advised to only lift 10lbs by my doctor who is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. He said to just do more reps. :/ I have arthritis in my hands that radiates down my arms and in my back and neck also. Lumbar stenosis and radiculitis. I also compressed a vertebrae in 2014. Physio didn't seem to help. I really do want to lift and will see my doctor again this year. I'm ordering New Rules of Lifting for Women. I will talk to him about it again this year before I start any program.

I would say, given your specific medical conditions, to listen to your Ortho. Like someone else said, body weight training might be better. I'm glad you're planning on talking to him first ... sometimes medical conditions do cause the need to make exceptions. (I would be super bummed about not being able to lift, too) :heart:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

They make you as fat as protein does. And less fat than fat does. But who's counting

bh69gt74ybdd.jpeg

This is satire, right? Please, tell me this is poorly done satire. You don't really believe this, right?

Sadly, he believes it. And...he called an MFP member a fatty for disagreeing with him.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A family member of mine has always been thin, and he likes to tell me "All you need to do is workout more." Really? So I can keep eating 3,500 calories a day and hop on the treadmill occasionally, and I'll miraculously become thin? Sweet! This is the guy who chooses not to take his heart medication when he is going out to drink because "you aren't supposed to mix the two." LOL!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

Carbs make you fat

They do.LOL

bh69gt74ybdd.jpeg

Sadly, he believes it. And...he called an MFP member a fatty for disagreeing with him.

I doubt anyone really believes that nonsense. Probably trolling.
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Anyone who pulls the "Just stop being picky and be an adult" thing on you. If I don't LIKE what I'm eating, I'm going to give it up and find something I do like. Now I do think it's ok advice for anyone who refuses to even try new recipes, but if you're trying stuff and just not liking it you're going to go back to bad habits.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Anything they want to charge me for.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    [

I doubt anyone really believes that nonsense. Probably trolling.

That's what I though too but his profile is all about Ketogenic dieting. He truly believes it.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ohustins wrote: »
    "Oh make sure you don't lose too much weight. You're starting to look really thin."
    I know what a healthy weight looks and feels like, thank you.

Yeah basically this one, 10 pounds to goal weight and all of a sudden my friends are saying "you don't need to lose anymore, you're skinny enough now" or "here, have this chocolate/doughnut/cookie, you don't need to diet anymore". Surely as an adult who has done a ton of research into this change of lifestyle which will take over a year to achieve, I'm capable of choosing when to maintain!
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    ohustins wrote: »
    "Oh make sure you don't lose too much weight. You're starting to look really thin."
    I know what a healthy weight looks and feels like, thank you.

Yeah basically this one, 10 pounds to goal weight and all of a sudden my friends are saying "you don't need to lose anymore, you're skinny enough now" or "here, have this chocolate/doughnut/cookie, you don't need to diet anymore". Surely as an adult who has done a ton of research into this change of lifestyle which will take over a year to achieve, I'm capable of choosing when to maintain!

So much this. Where I work a lot of the people are over weight so when I push away the cake for the monthly birthday parties and things I get a lot of "But you're thin already!" ...actually, I'm overweight, I just have a body that hides it a bit better than some other shapes. For right now pointing out I'm getting married soon has gotten people to leave me alone (and surprisingly even encourage me about eating a bit better - one person offered to split a cupcake I kept eyeballing so my calories wouldn't go too high). The worst is getting family members that one moment tell me I may need to watch my weight and the minute I actually start losing freak out and tell me to slow it down.
  • Christmasrum
    Christmasrum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »
    That I could just stop being lazy and start exercising whenever I wanted. Yes, I'll be on my way to marathon once I'll find proper depression meds...

Depression gets in the way of a lot of things we want (and need to do). You look a lot younger than I do but I know it's a struggle to just get up somedays. Hang in there......
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I could literally write an essay on the annoying things people say to me when I am on track. I'm over here eating clean, counting my
    Calories and working out and feeling AMAZING and proud of myself and I get bombarded with "you know,
    You can have cookies in moderation" actually, I can't I'm addicted to food and I can have one cheat meal or cheat day because it unhinges me. Or ofcourse "why do you eat vegan cheese and gluten free, whole wheat and skim are just as good for you" because I'm gluten and dairy sensitive and just because I used to eat it before and it would make me feel sick doesn't mean I want to eat it now. Or when I tell people I've lost X amount of weight and I'm super excited and happy and a week later they are like "are you still eating good and going to the gym?!" Um I got this I don't need you to be my personal watch dog. Or when people rattle off ridiculous diets and gimmicks at you. Or when my mom says "a moment on the lips a life time on the hips" like all of these things make me crazy I get so mad. Like you tell people you're eating clean and working out and you don't ask for advice and suddenly everyone around you is a damn nutritionist and fitness coach. And the worst is most of them don't know what they're even talking about. Gahhhhhhhh
  • lau4491
    Options

Carbs make you fat

Carbs make you fat

Omg Yessss this one. Or that "you shouldn't eat fat, like avocados are loaded in fat" OMG NO.
  • lau4491
    Options
    My friend told me if I start to eat "whole food" I no longer have to count calories. She has lost 80 pounds following a super strict diet that lays out how much of everything she eats every day. There is no gluten, no dairy, all organic, no gmo, no sugar...blah blah blah. I give her credit for doing that and losing the weigh but she doesn't understand that she is following a specific diet that keeps her calories under so yes, she is losing. She posts so called studies that support her claim to her FB page. It drives me nuts. I want to say NO NO NO. You still have to pay attention to calories!!!

Omg yes' my friend just yesterday was like you can eat whatever you want in moderation like you're not going to be counting calories forever , just eat what you want and work out. OMG
  • lau4491
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    "Counting calories is an eating disorder. "

So I guess making sure your checkbook is balanced is a financial disorder with this logic.

Omg I literally cracked up from this. Best response ever!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    my husband loves to tell me I can eat whatever I like as much as I like as long as I exercise more.

Great - but how am I going to be able to exercise 24/7 as well as work, sleep, care for daughter, house, etc?

HA!

(he's one of those lucky fast metabolism people)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    "Counting calories is an eating disorder. "

So I guess making sure your checkbook is balanced is a financial disorder with this logic.
    It's certainly convienent for someone with an ED. I weighed and logged 800-1000 calories a day on pen and paper. I still count, but in a way to properly fuel myself.

Of course, people can misuse anything. Heck, people would get high on cough syrup and sniff glue.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Two recent ones for me were a conversation where someone was asking me how much I'd lost (75lbs), how I'd done it (CICO, 80/20ish) and how long I'd been on track for (2 years), then proceeded to tell me I should try this woo-filled no grain no dairy miracle diet thing they were going to try. Um... didn't I just make it abundently clear that what I'm doing is working? Like... really well??

And bless her, the lady at work who thinks I'm going to bulk up like Arnie because I started StrongLifts.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So-called MFP "friend" who would peruse my food diary daily and then advise me what I was doing wrong. I usually eat a little something light before a workout or I can get really dizzy and lightheaded. She said I should never eat anything before working out because I wouldn't burn any fat that way. That I should just keep going and the dizziness would pass. Right. I'd love to just pass out and fall off the treadmill. :p

Before I had the chance, this person "unfriended" ME for not listening to her advice! Blessing in disguise!