Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• owlprincess1234
    owlprincess1234 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A coworker just told me
    "The body only needs 2 grams of sugar a day, the rest protein"
    Not sure what to say.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It has no doubt been said in various different ways, but when someone who is a healthy weight with a healthy appetite says "Just eat what you want but eat less of it"... yeah, that works, as long as you haven't first got enough of a sugar reliance that you would sell your grandmother for a Terry's Chocolate Orange (Note: I would never sell my Nan... she buys me the Chocolate Oranges!).

When your appetite is insane, and you always pick too much of the more damaging things (for yourself; everyone is different), that advice will not work!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh and log all your food.
  • RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    The one that drives me crazy is the "you should try x diet, so and so lost a ton of weight on it!". I'm always tempted to ask, "Yes, but how long did they keep it off?". I'm not interested in making my weight loss temporary and I'm not going to cut out carbs, meat, etc. for the rest of my life so no extreme diets for me.

EXACTLY!!! :wink: Sorry, I'm not yelling.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights." A coworker once told me I lifted heavy because I "want to be a man."

I was told a woman shouldn't lift more than 3 pounds....I was STUNNED.
    Last I checked, most healthy newborns were more than 3 pounds!

Hell, most women's purses probably weigh more than that.

I had a horrible talk with a woman in the gym locker room that she lost 30lbs by cutting sugar and eating "clean". She was going to be a runner now that she'd lost the weight. I just smiled and nodded. Strangely, I have not seen her back at the gym since...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    More of a comment about how I look than advice: "You look amazing (for your age)." <--F* you.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    "You really shouldn't run. It's bad for your knees."

This, usually offered by people whose exercise routine consists mostly of getting up for another snack.

I really hate this, too. And nowdays there is evidence to support the idea that running is GOOD for our knees, so you can respond with that!

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/running-might-protect-against-knee-osteoarthritis
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    if you feel hungry, its working"
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My dad once got mad at me because he he heard me telling my husband that the drink I had the night before was 1100 calories for 2 servings (or, one glass) and I wouldn't be having it again!!! Anyway, my dad got mad and started yelling that i had an eating disorder, and explained to me that everything burns calories. I probably burned 500 calories just walking from my kitchen table to my stove. (10 feet). He also liked to lecture me that running would ruin my knees. And, that I was married now, I didn't need to worry about my weight, and I didn't need to lose weight.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Eh I wouldn't say that to everyone if they are losing weight easily without, but when someone comes and say that they're not losing when clearly they're not weighing or measuring, well, it's pretty good advice, I think.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i love my husband, but God love him, he doesn't understand my troubles with weight. he's stick thin, has a very active job, and just doesn't have to worry about weight. I try to explain my troubles and he says "i don't undertand why you can't just do what you have to to lose weight. just decide to do it and just do it." NOT THAT EASY for me, bub.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    All advice is annoying, like I don't ask for advice and I've lost 64 pounds so far yet everyone wants to offer advice! "You shouldn't eat bagels, you should quit carbs, you should detox, walking doesn't really count as exercise"

I never ask for advice yet I'm always given it! And if I ask I do it on here where people know what they're talking about.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    More of a comment about how I look than advice: "You look amazing (for your age)." <--F* you.

oh this is right up there with "you look great for someone who has two kids", that's not a compliment in my opinion.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I'm looking at recipes on Pinterest and something called fat flush soup came up. :s

Lol. @CooCooPuff, I'm picturing the cat in your avatar looking at the fat flush soup...

Fun thread! I'll pop back in when I have things to share! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Eh I wouldn't say that to everyone if they are losing weight easily without, but when someone comes and say that they're not losing when clearly they're not weighing or measuring, well, it's pretty good advice, I think.

The question was about advice given me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Menix8 wrote: »
    You'll get bulky or injured from lifting heavy.
    You'll get just as strong doing body pump as strong lifts.

Lol. I love when I tell people I lift weights and they respond with, "Have you tried Body Pump?"

I get this too. I'm baffled by it.

Omg a women at the gym today told me I should try body pump..... Right after she saw me deadlifting 170x5 ( I suck at deadlifting) at 135 lbs body weight as body pump is better. Maybe I should wait outside at the end of body pump class and tell them all to try heavy lifting ;)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »
    Oh, and the "You are supposed to feel hungry when you lose weight, that's how you know you are eating less"... Why isn't this girl making a cure for cancer as well?

Hmm. For me, this advice holds true. If I'm not a little bit hungry at bedtime, I either went past my calorie goal, or forgot to enter something. I'm aware that this isn't true for all, but it is for me.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It has no doubt been said in various different ways, but when someone who is a healthy weight with a healthy appetite says "Just eat what you want but eat less of it"... yeah, that works, as long as you haven't first got enough of a sugar reliance that you would sell your grandmother for a Terry's Chocolate Orange (Note: I would never sell my Nan... she buys me the Chocolate Oranges!).

When your appetite is insane, and you always pick too much of the more damaging things (for yourself; everyone is different), that advice will not work!

Well, I started at 320 lb and didn't exactly get there with a healthy appetite, and I'm 75+ down now by doing exactly that. I plan in advance how much I can eat and I stick to the plan above all else.

Though giving up specific treats is fine if it helps; I think the advice is mainly for those who think they should only eat veggies and chicken breast their whole lives.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    saltysurf6 wrote: »
    Honestly, any unsolicited advice irritates me right now.

I'm 44 years old, not a stupid person, and I'm certainly not afraid to ask for help when I need it. I haven't been obese my whole life, and I'm very well aware of how I got fat in the first place. With that said, I have so much to learn... so much! I just wish people (especially the ones who have zero experience or success rate with losing weight) would keep the unsolicited advice to themselves.

I agree. I can't remember a single occurrence of receiving unsolicited advice that I was grateful for.