Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options
I have been on MFP for years. Succeeded in 2012-2014 (5'9" was 145 pounds) and then I got pregnant and let myself go, so here I am again (185 pounds, 9 months post-partum). Anyways, I have a guy friend who is in good shape and tells me "you know it's just as easy losing weight as it is putting it on." No, I'm sorry - that isn't the case for me. It's way easier for me to get fast food for lunch than to plan my meals ahead of time and weigh my food. I told him I've been under my calorie goals too which I was proud of myself for and he said "if you want to eat something, just eat it." Which is true in a sense, but it's still hard trying to ignore all my old favorites. I just feel like he doesn't understand. Ok, I'm done ranting :smile:

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I saw this and not much to contribute, but I would like to know who the "he" is.. Just a guy friend? It seems something may be there that you take to heart and that his guy friend is making you think a a lot about things that really may not matter in the scheme of things..

Most people either do not know or do not care and I see this as wanted comments. I don't think in your case it up to debate, not warranting a heated conversation that needs to move in a direction other than to say, "ok, I see your point of view".

Why try to explain anything to anyone other than yourself about why and what you are doing.

And if you gained it back, you know you can loose it, and if you don't want to gain it all, just don't eat it and make choices you know that will not end up on waistline.. This is not rocket science even to the guy friend who is fit and in shape.. he knows what is really going on, he is trying jerk some kind of chain for some reason..

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's much harder to lose weight than to put it on. But I love to eat. I love to eat whatever and how much I want. I love to not have to think about stopping because I might go over my allotted calories. It amazes me how some people have a hard time gaining. But it's all dependant on the person. If someone told me I had to eat 3,000 calories a day, I'd be in heaven. But if I want to stay at my current, maintenance weight I know I have to eat no more than 1,900 calories. Reality bites.

Worst advice: Hmmm, I've had lots. I think the one about having to eat very low carb to lose weight. I lost 50lbs by drinking beer, wine, eating ice cream and bread and kept it off for almost 4 years. But somehow people believe they are "special snowflakes" and science just doesn't work for them.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's much harder to lose weight than to put it on. But I love to eat. I love to eat whatever and how much I want. I love to not have to think about stopping because I might go over my allotted calories. It amazes me how some people have a hard time gaining. But it's all dependant on the person. If someone told me I had to eat 3,000 calories a day, I'd be in heaven. But if I want to stay at my current, maintenance weight I know I have to eat no more than 1,900 calories. Reality bites.

Worst advice: Hmmm, I've had lots. I think the one about having to eat very low carb to lose weight. I lost 50lbs by drinking beer, wine, eating ice cream and bread and kept it off for almost 4 years. But somehow people believe they are "special snowflakes" and science just doesn't work for them.

Worst advice for me? Moderation? I don't do low-carb because I'm a special snowflake, I do it because I'm insulin resistant. It gives me appetite control. Yeah, I lost lots of weight eating ice cream and bread when I did it that way, but I was ALWAYS HUNGRY. It never lasted. Now, I'm no longer hungry. Low carb works for us who are diabetic/prediabetic/insulin resistant.

I guess I forgot to mention about people that actually "should" eat that way for health reasons. Sorry. I meant general public, not people that have health issues. Go on with your bad self and I wish you the best of luck!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Any advice at this point is really annoying. Even though I've lost close to 80 pounds, people still feel like they know more than I do about my body.

It's really hard to listen to people when they say to eat more to lose weight. Go crazy at a buffet once a week. It doesn't work for me, unfortunately! And definitely now that I'm at the home stretch. I could definitely out-eat my deficit with one big meal!
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't like much advice by random people but the most annoying advice is advice given in the guise of trying to relate or normal conversation. "Oh, I did something similar too (describing something not similar) and have you tried (insert type of behavior)."
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That I could just stop being lazy and start exercising whenever I wanted. Yes, I'll be on my way to marathon once I'll find proper depression meds...
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Watching Dr. Oz and buying so called magic pills.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    My friend told me if I start to eat "whole food" I no longer have to count calories. She has lost 80 pounds following a super strict diet that lays out how much of everything she eats every day. There is no gluten, no dairy, all organic, no gmo, no sugar...blah blah blah. I give her credit for doing that and losing the weigh but she doesn't understand that she is following a specific diet that keeps her calories under so yes, she is losing. She posts so called studies that support her claim to her FB page. It drives me nuts. I want to say NO NO NO. You still have to pay attention to calories!!!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Any variant of "That doesn't work" which I hear surprisingly often when people ask me what I'm doing to lose weight and I tell them I'm calorie counting. Theoretically, if they've noticed I'm losing weight, it's working :#

Any variant of "this will definitely make you lose weight" when people tell me what works for them/their friend/some guy on the internet. I've tried enough things and failed enough times that when I say "nope, not for me" it's probably the voice of experience speaking :p
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    All the detoxes and the WRAPS. Oh, the wraps. So annoying.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Worst advice for me? Moderation? I don't do low-carb because I'm a special snowflake, I do it because I'm insulin resistant. It gives me appetite control. Yeah, I lost lots of weight eating ice cream and bread when I did it that way, but I was ALWAYS HUNGRY. It never lasted. Now, I'm no longer hungry. Low carb works for us who are diabetic/prediabetic/insulin resistant.

I guess I forgot to mention about people that actually "should" eat that way for health reasons. Sorry. I meant general public, not people that have health issues. Go on with your bad self and I wish you the best of luck!

Ok good, whew. It has helped me so much. Thanks. :-)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    All the detoxes and the WRAPS. Oh, the wraps. So annoying.

Yes, the wraps! Why is it that whenever I see a vehicle driving around with all that advertising for the wraps, it's an overweight person in the driver's seat? I mean not that I care about a person's weight, but when you're touting a weight-loss product, shouldn't the seller be a ringing endorsement?
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    To eat breakfast because it will boost my metabolism. What? No. I hate breakfast. I despise breakfast. I don't want to eat breakfast. Not only that, there has been no research to show it does anything to your metabolism. So leave my breakfastlessness alone!

Haha! +1 for this! Leave my breakfastlessness alone! Lol, made my day.