Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2016
    I am so fed up with wraps and Plexus I could punch someone. There is no magical cure for the bad habits I struggle with and I am so tired of people making excuses for their actions and trying to find an easy way out - ESPECIALLY when they're trying to make excuses FOR me and insist so aggressively.
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    "You need to lift heavy and to failure....bro"
    :no_mouth:
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    I have had some really awesomely stupid advice over the years:

- You shouldn't eat after 6pm. That's why you're overweight.
    - Weight lifting will make you look like a man! And you will be bigger and look unattractive.
    - You should give up the gym. Your PT is lying about your weight loss. You only need 20 mins of walking and you will burn the fat right off! ( This one is my favourite - I proved this family member wrong and it felt great!)
    - Just cut out all carbs and fats. That is all you need to do.
    - Running will bulk your legs up and give you droopy breasts. Running is not natural.
    - Why are you eating mangoes? They are full of sugar and will make you fat. Have a muesli bar instead. It's less calories.
    - Morning exercise will burn more calories
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Not really advice, so much as an excuse, but:

"Well that's great that logging worked for you, but it doesn't work for everyone"

Ha, in that same vein, I hate when people ask for advice and then are completely dismissive of the advice given. If you have it all figured out, don't bother asking...
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    heidio2 wrote: »
    getting testing for Celiac Disease and my dr. keeps telling me there's gluten free beer. Gag… Thanks for looking out for my alcohol needs hon. I got that covered. :smile:

I miss real beer. Drink all the beers right now lol.
    There IS GF beer - some are okay but frig, I miss a good crown float. Or going to share a pitcher with the team "thanks, I'll have a vodka"

Bad advice for me was GF related too. are you SURE you're celiac? Um yes. The plethora of tests I had should ease my mind. I don't go for barium enemas and endoscopies for FUN, jerkwads.
  • auddii
    TaraTall wrote: »
    heidio2 wrote: »
    getting testing for Celiac Disease and my dr. keeps telling me there's gluten free beer. Gag… Thanks for looking out for my alcohol needs hon. I got that covered. :smile:

I miss real beer. Drink all the beers right now lol.
    There IS GF beer - some are okay but frig, I miss a good crown float. Or going to share a pitcher with the team "thanks, I'll have a vodka"

Bad advice for me was GF related too. are you SURE you're celiac? Um yes. The plethora of tests I had should ease my mind. I don't go for barium enemas and endoscopies for FUN, jerkwads.

Is whisky off the table too? I would be so sad without beer or whisky...
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Carbs are bad for you.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    You only absorb 40% of animal protein and 90% of vegetable protein.

She worked at herbalife
  • auddii

She worked at herbalife

Wow.
  • AdrianChr92
    auddii wrote: »

She worked at herbalife

Wow.

Also she laughed when she saw I ate 50 grams of protein in a meal and told me humans can only eat 30 grams at a meal. I'm trying really hard to not ruin my friendship with her
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Recently:
    "You shouldn't eat over 400 calories if you want to lose weight. Losing 1lb per week is SO SLOW...aim for at least 5, fatty".

Ya...thanksnothanks
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member

She worked at herbalife

Wow.

Also she laughed when she saw I ate 50 grams of protein in a meal and told me humans can only eat 30 grams at a meal. I'm trying really hard to not ruin my friendship with her

...Huh? Did she maybe think (erroneously) that a human can only absorb that much of the protein?
  • olusha123
    olusha123 Posts: 2 Member
    My friend told me if I start to eat "whole food" I no longer have to count calories. She has lost 80 pounds following a super strict diet that lays out how much of everything she eats every day. There is no gluten, no dairy, all organic, no gmo, no sugar...blah blah blah. I give her credit for doing that and losing the weigh but she doesn't understand that she is following a specific diet that keeps her calories under so yes, she is losing. She posts so called studies that support her claim to her FB page. It drives me nuts. I want to say NO NO NO. You still have to pay attention to calories!!!

She's saying that because if you eat only whole foods, it's much harder to overeat because there's so much fiber/nutrition. Even Weight Watchers used to have a plan where if you ate whole foods, you didn't have to count points. Not sure if they still have it.

I've dieted on and off my entire life and this is the single time I've ever felt like it was "easy." Why? Because even though I'm only eating 1300 calories, everything I put into my mouth is nutritious. 300 calories of oatmeal and whole wheat toast don't hit you the same as 300 calories of cheerios and orange juice.

I have calories left over every night and I'm like "what's going on here?" When I pay attention to how much I put in my face and how full I really am, it's not a struggle anymore. I don't even have cravings really. I used to eat a candy bar every night before bed, don't even want it now. It's pretty weird.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    I swear to god if I hear one more ?!*#ing person say " ohhh should you be eating that? ". I'm going to actually kill somebody
  • aaron_mc29
    aaron_mc29 Posts: 56 Member
    If someone sees me eating something they consider "unhealthy" - "if you didn't eat that you'd lose weight faster." Ugh.

Also people trying to push a juice fast on as a legitimate diet, ignoring the fact that juice is mostly sugar.
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    I plan my meals, I'm really annoyed when someone tries to convince me to try their "diet" food. I don't diet. I eat! and I'm never hungry for empty calories.
  • AdrianChr92

She worked at herbalife

Wow.

...Huh? Did she maybe think (erroneously) that a human can only absorb that much of the protein?

She thinks that if you eat let's say 60 grams of proteins the body will just poop 30 cause it can't handle more than 30 grams at a time. It's funny cause she is a wellness consultant or something like that
  • TiffanyMSS
    TiffanyMSS Posts: 67 Member
    ..& I quote, "Are you sure you want to eat that? Bread makes you fat, you know."

..& then went on to tell me how awful carbs were & how I shouldn't eat if I wanted to lose any weight.

{Because her 'diet' was starving herself.} :neutral:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    olusha123 wrote: »

I have calories left over every night and I'm like "what's going on here?" When I pay attention to how much I put in my face and how full I really am, it's not a struggle anymore. I don't even have cravings really. I used to eat a candy bar every night before bed, don't even want it now. It's pretty weird.

Yes, exactly! "How much I put in my face". You still have to be aware of how much you're eating. The point is, calories matter. If I ate a dozen eggs, two avocados, a loaf of whole wheat bread with a stick of butter, one pound of skinless chicken breasts and 4 bananas a day I would gain weight. Whole foods are nutritious and excellent for a healthy diet but they aren't the key to losing weight. Eating in a deficit is. Telling someone who eats too much that they CAN eat as much as they want as long as it's a whole food is misleading.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    edited January 2016
    not really advice, but now that I have lost quite a bit of weight whenever I have a biscuit or a cake in the office someone mentions something about me not eating that stuff because my body is a "temple".

As if the moment you lose weight you have to stop enjoying snacks and treats. No, I just don't eat the whole tin now.