Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Avoiding eating fruits and grains is unhealthy and will result in unhealthy low fibre levels and constipation
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Your plastic water bottle will make you fat buy a glass one......

Wat?

The plastic will leach all sorts of nasty chemicals into the water that will mess.with my hormones and make me fat. .....and here's me thinking it was Cadbury making me fat.....

Oooh good to know; less plastic, more Cadbury. But, is the wrapper around the Cadbury coated in plastic? Also, must make a note to stock up on real Cadbury when visiting Scotland this summer...

Sadly since the takeover and "tweaking" of perfection Cadbury isn't Cadbury anymore :(

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Wat?

The plastic will leach all sorts of nasty chemicals into the water that will mess.with my hormones and make me fat. .....and here's me thinking it was Cadbury making me fat.....

Oooh good to know; less plastic, more Cadbury. But, is the wrapper around the Cadbury coated in plastic? Also, must make a note to stock up on real Cadbury when visiting Scotland this summer...

Sadly since the takeover and "tweaking" of perfection Cadbury isn't Cadbury anymore :(

I really miss Cadbury goodness. It used to be one of my favorites and now I never bother with it because it's just not good anymore. :'(
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    heidio2 wrote: »
    getting testing for Celiac Disease and my dr. keeps telling me there's gluten free beer. Gag… Thanks for looking out for my alcohol needs hon. I got that covered. :smile:

I miss real beer. Drink all the beers right now lol.
    There IS GF beer - some are okay but frig, I miss a good crown float. Or going to share a pitcher with the team "thanks, I'll have a vodka"

Bad advice for me was GF related too. are you SURE you're celiac? Um yes. The plethora of tests I had should ease my mind. I don't go for barium enemas and endoscopies for FUN, jerkwads.

Is whisky off the table too? I would be so sad without beer or whisky...

There is conflicting information on this guy. Some reading suggests that the fermenting or the processing breaks down the protein enough that you're fine drinking int (I sure feel fine after a few!!) but some people are either hyper sensitive to it or excessively obsessed with the idea that they drink potato vodka only.

Similar with the shared fryer for french fries or dry ribs. The general concern is for cross contamination but, there are some newer studies out now that suggest the heat and oils actually break down the protein enough that you're reasonably safe sharing a fryer.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You only absorb 40% of animal protein and 90% of vegetable protein.

She worked at herbalife

Wow.

Also she laughed when she saw I ate 50 grams of protein in a meal and told me humans can only eat 30 grams at a meal. I'm trying really hard to not ruin my friendship with her

My understanding is that although it's all absorbed, only 30 grams at a meal can be used for muscle synthesis...
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/how-much-protein-can-the-body-absorb
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Oh gosh! Where do I start? I've been here since April 2011. I lost over 60 pounds and hit my goal weight back in May of 2012. I've been maintaining ever since. I think I've been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, but people keep telling me the following 'facts' that I have found personally to be untrue.

1) Walking isn't real exercise and isn't enough for anyone to lose weight or be fit.

2) Lots of small meals will help you lose faster than eating three normal meals.

3) You need to keep your carbs under 100g a day to lose weight!

4) Fruit is bad for you because it has too much sugar.

5) Fat makes you fat.

6) You should do a cleanse/detox!

7) Drinking water helps you lose weight and flushes away toxins!

8) You can't lose weight if you eat in the evening.

omg yes the walking doesnt help you lose weight thing! my mom used to walk 5 miles a day 5 days a week and lost 40 lbs by doing that and eating right. no one says you have to do HIIT training everyday or run 20 miles a week, do some cardio mixed with some strength training and youre good.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Not to get too much muscle. Its a "turn off".... I'm sorry, was I trying to turn you on? I missed that memo. Shut up.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Wat?

I really miss Cadbury goodness. It used to be one of my favorites and now I never bother with it because it's just not good anymore. :'(
    I liked the chocolate creme eggs last year. Regular creme eggs were way too sweet for me.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Wat?

Darn those leeches in plastics!!!

I work in pharma caught the brunt of the overreaction to BPA and other media hyped nonsense. I really hate slow news days and junk science. It's a perfect storm of stupid.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Wat?

Darn those leeches in plastics!!!

I work in pharma caught the brunt of the overreaction to BPA and other media hyped nonsense. I really hate slow news days and junk science. It's a perfect storm of stupid.

I now have a new toxic bottle for everyday of the working week.....I like to see her face as she wanders past.....

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Recently:
    "You shouldn't eat over 400 calories if you want to lose weight. Losing 1lb per week is SO SLOW...aim for at least 5, fatty".

Ya...thanksnothanks
    What in the actual F*!% ?
    Hope that comment was from a passing stranger and you tripped them as he/she walked by.

• annael25
    annael25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "Fat will make you fat."

"If you continue losing, you will disappear!" (Not exactly advice, but annoying to hear regardless.)

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have to second all the comments about cleanses, wraps, pills or anything similar. Also, the whole "just eat less" advice annoys the heck out of me, mostly because it's not even well-meaning advice, just a flip way to tell you you're stupid.
    Add to that list "just love yourself the way you are", and "you need to treat yourself". I love myself, that's why I am trying to maintain a healthy weight and eat food that doesn't make me sick, and if I feel the need to treat myself, I will, thank you very much. Why on earth would I eat food that makes me physically sick, and consider them a treat?
    Honestly, people don't give me much fitness advice. Thank goodness.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
  • hickmanha
    hickmanha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you people go without breakfast. I'm famished by the time I wake up.

Ha! Exactly what I was thinking. I adore my breakfast. BUT, more power to you, breakfastless people! I can't relate, but I will support your right to go without morning food with my dying breath.
  • hickmanha
    hickmanha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "you need to work hard to see results. " ...yeah sheesh, and here I thought I could just keep on sitting on my couch eating potato chips. Darn!

Oh and "stop working out so hard, you'll kill yourself." Erm.....cos when you and I go out and eat 4000-cal meals, we don't kill ourselves, right?

Oh and "it's OK, you don't look your weight." F you!!!

Arghhhhhhhhhh LOL

THIS! A thousand times this!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me the way to stop overeating was to just stop and ask myself, "Are you really hungry?" Problem solved! Except that is that I could always answer, "yes" so that didn't help me one bit. And that also didn't help me to stop eating once I started eating. The time to stop eating, in my opinion, was when the food was gone!

Nope, the only thing that's worked for me is tracking calories. It is interesting to me that sometimes if I get busy and go several meals without tracking and then write it all down before I eat dinner or contemplate dessert, just seeing all the calories I've already eaten for the day helps me feel fuller. Weird, but I'm glad it works. Left to my own devices or internal signals, I would always say there's room for more!

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You only absorb 40% of animal protein and 90% of vegetable protein.

She worked at herbalife

Wow.

Also she laughed when she saw I ate 50 grams of protein in a meal and told me humans can only eat 30 grams at a meal. I'm trying really hard to not ruin my friendship with her

My understanding is that although it's all absorbed, only 30 grams at a meal can be used for muscle synthesis...
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/how-much-protein-can-the-body-absorb

That article has only one study linked and a lot of things that have been denied by countless sources.
    Here's a better one

https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/ with far more proof

And a study that shows that protein pulses (all protein in one meal for example) is better for elderly women

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10357740
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Here's a better one
    https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/ with far more proof

And a study that shows that protein pulses (all protein in one meal for example) is better for elderly women

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10357740

Oh, wow, excellent. This is great to know. I eat in some pretty small feeding windows (IF) most of the time, and wasn't sure how this worked out. Best info I've seen all day, thanks!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Where do I start