What to do with my big clothes

Options

Replies

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Vcorz wrote: »
    mpat81 wrote: »
    I traded with a cousin. She used to be thin and now is heavier. Worked out great for both of us. Maybe you can post on craigslist to find someone you can swap with. Either way, I say definitely get rid of most of your bigger stuff. You are more likely to keep the weight off if you are faced with going to the store to buy all larger sizes- not fun!

Was that awkward suggesting it to your formerly thin cousin?

Haha, no! She said she had "some clothes that didn't fit and did I want them?" So I said "sure, wanna trade?". We've both been up and down in sizes a few times over the years. :)
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    BURN THEM
  • buttersbunch
    buttersbunch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    After losing 275 pounds (410 to 135) AND leaving the Mennonites, I don't think ANYONE would want my 'fat clothes'!! But they will serve to remind myself and others of how far I have come!

023kklooxqj9.jpeg
    ew5qty2y3d4z.jpeg
  • ipastorsally
    ipastorsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    After losing 275 pounds (410 to 135) AND leaving the Mennonites, I don't think ANYONE would want my 'fat clothes'!! But they will serve to remind myself and others of how far I have come!

023kklooxqj9.jpeg
    ew5qty2y3d4z.jpeg

Love the picture. You look great!
  • ipastorsally
    ipastorsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I kept all my too small clothes and now am modeling them for my daughter. We laugh at how they don't fit in the belly, but may in the waist. Lesson learned is to ditch them all if they don't fit. So all slacks and pants are going. Most tops still fit. Sweaters are keepers. Skirts are yet to be modeled. Collecting for a spring neighborhood yard sale and plan to give them, not sell them, to anyone interested.
  • MrFitFrank
    MrFitFrank Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Donate, donate, donate! Happy to see them go!
  • Todbringer
    Todbringer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gave it all away. And it was A LOT of very expensive clothes. I never want to go back there where I was. I only kept one old trousers and one shirt, as a reminder and a warning.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Todbringer wrote: »
    I gave it all away. And it was A LOT of very expensive clothes. I never want to go back there where I was. I only kept one old trousers and one shirt, as a reminder and a warning.

This seems to be a trend. Most who have had a lot to lose (including me) have kept one thing.

I drive a bright orange car and the staff at the shelter actually recognize it when I drive up so someone comes out right away to take my things. What I started doing is: each time I try something on and it is too big for me, I put it in one of two smallish laundry baskets in my closet. As soon as the baskets are full, I bag the stuff up and take it to the shelter. I had one huge load a little over a year ago, then have had small loads every 2 months or so. I go to a homeless shelter that collects for the homeless but also works with the domestic abuse shelter nearby so they can use all kinds of clothes. They even provide nicer things for job interviews and when people actually start work but don't have enough money yet to buy clothes. Even the rattiest clothing gets used. They work with a women's collective in Africa where any unwearable clothing gets cut up and the usable sections of fabric get used to make quilts and other crafts that they then sell.

It is kind of fun when I am walking the downtown riverwalk and see something I once owned on someone sitting on a bench in the park.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    No ~ just in case! Think of helping someone less fortunate or someone in need of clothing. Donate to various charities. When I still buy something new, I promise myself I will go home & get rid of two items for one new item of purchase. For some reason, we tend to hold on to things but need to learn how to deal with positive change :blush:
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Had a bit of an issue today with clothes :)

I lost my job in November and for December and January I promised the family that I would not be worrying about finding a new job...I had only begun my search in the last week. At the same time a headhunter reached out and today was my second interview (first in person). Never thought about it, but when I went to put on my suit...it looked silly. While I have lost 20 or so lbs since I last put it on...the pants were falling down. The jacket was draping...argh. At least I had a humourous. Looks like I'll have to get them taken in or buy new clothes for interviews!

Anyway, I give my clothes to charities.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Keep one pair of pants or fitted skirt from your largest old size just to remind yourself of where you never want to be again. Pull them out every year, put them on and check the mirror. Great incentive!
    Donate the rest or if they are 'good' clothes, put them on consignment at a shop where you can get money or credit for clothing in your new size
  • Ladypoohbear2013
    Ladypoohbear2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went from pants size 24 now to a 12. I kept 1 shirt and 1 pants. I donated the rest to homeless. I never plan on needing fat clothes again.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've donated some. Others, mostly work dresses and gym clothes, I've kept because I want to see if I can use them as maternity clothes in the near future. ;)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Donate. I don't need extra clothes cluttering up my closet or drawers, and there are others out there that do. If I want a reminder of where I was, all I have to do is look at my wedding dress.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I kept mine, buuuuut there's still a possibility I'll want to have another baby, in which case, I will most definitely gain weight.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine and now I put on 15lbs and wish I had them. My current pants make me feel like a sausage in a casing. I agree with the keep one size above where you are but get rid of everything else.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I donated everything. As I'm still in the process of losing weight I'm just living with the essentials for now. It's really nice to know exactly what you own and not digging through stuff to see what fits and what doesn't.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    OT: I plan on keeping all my too big clothes for at least five years. At one point, I got down to 165 lbs and got rid of everything too large. Three years later, I was 224 lbs and had no clothes that fit other than three t-shirts, one hoodie style sweatshirt, and a pair of track pants that were on the verge of being too small. Even undergarments were too small. It was pathetic.

Its not really off-topic. Hedging bets is one major reason people choose to hang onto big clothes. I know I'd have become fed up with my weight gain LONG before though if I'd had to purchase a new wardrobe. I had way too much large clothes in my wardrobe, and was able to pack on an enormous 70 lb gain without having to purchase larger things. It was a mistake. Now I'm ditching the larger clothes because I clearly NEED that guideline.

^^This. I start getting serious about losing weight when I realize I'm cramming myself into only a few pairs of pants. If I had kept my size 14s...you can guarantee I would be wearing them, rather than stopping at size 12 and starting to lose for this go-round.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of them. Too easy to fall back into old habits. I just tried on all my pairs of jeans and had to pick the lesser of the evils because they are all too big and i'm too broke to buy new stuff right now.
  • annael25
    annael25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I donated most of mine. I still have some clothes left because I can't afford a new wardrobe, but it feels so nice to goclothes shopping right now. I have every intention of staying this way, so I say get rid of your old clothes. Start fresh.