Training for fat loss vs. training for muscle/strength gain

Scamd83
Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there a difference? I mean is there a specific way you should train whilst cutting to avoid overdoing it and only work your muscles enough so that you maintain them but don't deplete them from doing too much and not eating enough to sustain that? Or am over complicating things here? Everytime I come across an apparently fat loss specific plan it's for three days a week. I'm currently cutting calories and train four days a week on a plan that seems to be aimed at intermediates aiming for strength and muscle gains. I've been lifting since the beginning of 2012 and I think I fall into the beginner category still because I cannot lift a certain amount x my own body weight, etc. Also is it possible to train whilst on low carbs for a limited period of time without wasting away muscle?

Edit: By train I mean lift weights.

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    I would Google Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) and Rapid Fat Loss Diet by Lyle McDonald (he also has a site). There's a PSMF group on Reddit and it's discussed in weight training fora.
  • Scamd83
    edited January 2016
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I would Google Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) and Rapid Fat Loss Diet by Lyle McDonald (he also has a site). There's a PSMF group on Reddit and it's discussed in weight training fora.

I've googled those and can't see anything about optimal training, just stuff about rapid fat loss for obese people. I am not obese. I am just seeking the ideal level of training to sustain strength and lean mass whilst shedding perhaps another stone.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It sounds like "train" means "lift weights" to you so I'm basing my answer on that. You can use the same lifting programs while losing weight as you do while maintaining or adding weight. You may, at some point, start to find that you cannot add weight to the bar as quickly, or sometimes not at all, so you may end up lowering the overall volume a bit, but the core program can be the same. If you find the need to lower volume, I would suggest lowering (or cutting out) isolation exercises before compound exercises.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    When I was lifting and losing I was doing high rep-lower weight with extensive cardio on my off days. Now that I'm trying to increase strength I'm lifting super heavy-lower reps and not as much cardio. And I've upped my calories significantly. Not sure if that's the proper way to do it, but that's the approach I've been taking and so far so good.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    During my cut I lifting 3 times per week push pull legs/shoulders. I lifted heavy typically sets of 5 with 5 reps. And i didn't lose much muscle, although some of that might have come from the fact I was doing a much more well rounded lift routine then I was before my cut.
  • Scamd83
    @jemhh Oops, thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I mean weights, corrected that now.

@mz_getskinny Did it work for you? By that I mean did you manage to avoid any significant loss in strength?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Generally speaking, but biggest difference between training on a cut and training an a bulk is going to be volume. Most good, established programs can be left largely in tact regardless of intake with the only real change being a reduction in overall volume.

Generic example: rather than doing 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps, you might cut back to 3-5 sets of 3-6 reps, but the actual lifts you do and muscles you work remain the same.
  • tillerstouch
    High reps low weight is typically used for muscle endurance when you train for muscle endurance your muscles tend to get leaner. Sets of 5 reps is typically used for strength building and sets of 10 typically used for size.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    High reps low weight is typically used for muscle endurance when you train for muscle endurance your muscles tend to get leaner. Sets of 5 reps is typically used for strength building and sets of 10 typically used for size.

No. Muscle is lean. Period. There is no fat muscle.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Generally speaking, but biggest difference between training on a cut and training an a bulk is going to be volume. Most good, established programs can be left largely in tact regardless of intake with the only real change being a reduction in overall volume.

Generic example: rather than doing 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps, you might cut back to 3-5 sets of 3-6 reps, but the actual lifts you do and muscles you work remain the same.

This. Keep the weights up, lower the volume
  • Scamd83
    @jacksonpt @rybo So would working each set of muscles once a week for those sorts of sets and reps be sufficient volume whilst cutting or could you do it twice per week?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    When I was lifting and losing I was doing high rep-lower weight with extensive cardio on my off days. Now that I'm trying to increase strength I'm lifting super heavy-lower reps and not as much cardio. And I've upped my calories significantly. Not sure if that's the proper way to do it, but that's the approach I've been taking and so far so good.

while cutting ensure you get enough protein, lift heavy, and ensure your deficit isn't too large to retain as much muscle as possible. It is best to lift heavy while cutting as it is more muscle sparing that higher rep, and you can increase strength while cutting this way.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    @jacksonpt @rybo So would working each set of muscles once a week for those sorts of sets and reps be sufficient volume whilst cutting or could you do it twice per week?
    I'm not a fan of the typical bodybuilding split that only hits each muscle group once a week. Unless you are an actual bodybuilder. I prefer a 2-3 days a week full body, utilizing compound movements
  • tillerstouch
    jemhh wrote: »

No. Muscle is lean. Period. There is no fat muscle.

The point was simply that high reps is not used for building strength or muscle size. High reps is used for muscle endurance which typically does not see a big increase in muscle size or increased strength and could result in muscles looking smaller.

Sure your muscle is not literally lean but when you have low body fat and muscles that have been trained for endurance you typically look "lean" vs someone who has trained their muscles for size or strength you migjt say looks "bulked". For example look at kali muscle very little body fat but I don't think anyone is calling him lean....

If OP wants to retain muscle size and or strength high reps low weight isn't the answer for them. If their goal is to keep muscle endurance up then they should continue with high reps.

My point was and still is valid why you're trying to discredit me or feel the need to correct me I'm not sure... if your ego needs it that bad then yes you're right muscle cannot be literally lean.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the typical bodybuilding split that only hits each muscle group once a week. Unless you are an actual bodybuilder. I prefer a 2-3 days a week full body, utilizing compound movements

speaking very generally, I agree.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Your calorie deficit will determine fat loss. You can gain strength on a deficit even without adding muscle by following a good lifting program and getting enough protein to preserve muscle. A three day a week full body program is great for that. When you're done with cutting you can then proceed to increase calories and volume and continue with strength training or change to another program that adds in some hypertrophy work. This just depends on your goals.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Your calorie deficit will determine fat loss.
    In part... but training program, protein intake, and genetics will also play a role in muscle vs. fat loss while in a deficit.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Your calorie deficit will determine fat loss.
    In part... but training program, protein intake, and genetics will also play a role in muscle vs. fat loss while in a deficit.

Of course. That was more in reference to lifting for fatloss that the OP asked about.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Small deficit,(100-200cals per day) adequate protein, lift 3 x all body per week.
    Eat back all exercise calories.
    Watch overdoing it on cardio, to be safe, keep it low intensity, if you're training for an aerobic event, pre fuel and fuel well during exercise, and know your burn rates.

Good luck!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    From my experience and then watching the studies, the best method for most is to reduce volume, and also reduce calories over maintenance by about the same percentage as you reduce lifting volume. That might be harder to figure out if you've been slowly building (as far as numbers) and your lifting routine.

You can also leave the lifting and diet alone, and simply add some cardio to make the deficit larger. I had real good success using that method back when I was lifting more, as my primary concern was building my cardio base up to match the slight weight gain. I had let my cardio suffer, and the job I had at the time wasn't too favorable on lacking cardio endurance.

As for cardio, if you do it then eat the calories back, and fuel for the cardio you do along with alternate away from lifting days or do it after lifting. Too much cardio at the wrong times will make your lifting suffer quicker if you are in calorie deficit.

As for protein, IMO just leave the macro alone. I personally think many overdo it on the protein macro, so unless you just like the extra, no reason to go crazy IMO.

Just don't slack too much on the lifting. I've seen people have success with just reducing weight, and with just reducing volume, and both seemed to do well on muscle retention. But if you slack off too much on a deficit, the muscle losses start taking place.... exactly where in the deficit vs length vs lifting would be the million dollar question. Even rapid weight loss antics spare muscle better if you keep the strength training ramped up near the place you are at before the losses.