Cut out zero calorie soda/drinks?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    It has sodium bicarbonate in it which sounds like junk and scares me.

As long as you can pronounce it, it is good for you

Arsenic ftw!
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda entirely, but not because I wasn't losing weight, but because I have a heart defect and the caffeine makes my heart race. I have recently discovered Milos Zero Calorie Sweet Tea. It is natural and good, and with a lot less caffeine (but still enough to keep me from eating everything in sight!). From what I have hear/read is that no, it does not affect your weight loss.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Chemicals no caffeine yes. Pepsi max has twice the amount of caffeine as normal diet Pepsi[/quote]

It does contain chemicals. Pepsi max and most over diet drinks especially contain chemicals. Aspartame is the artificial sweetener that is used and that's got a very bad press in recent times
  • tmorton03
    tmorton03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds and my husband lost 75 pounds tracking calories on My Fitness Pal in 2014 and we have kept it off. We refused to give up Diet pop/soda. As with everything, drink and eat it in moderation! Good Luck!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I do drink diet sodas when on a diet and when on a deadline when nothing else is available. There is some question as to whether the body recognizes the difference between diet and regular soda but so far I haven't noticed any adverse effects when on a balanced diet. I also try not to drink too much of it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Tenster wrote: »
    Chemicals no caffeine yes. Pepsi max has twice the amount of caffeine as normal diet Pepsi

It does contain chemicals. Pepsi max and most over diet drinks especially contain chemicals. Aspartame is the artificial sweetener that is used and that's got a very bad press in recent times [/quote]

I didn't mean it didn't contain chemicals. Everything contains chemicals. Water is a chemical. I meant it's probably the caffeine keeping you up. It has gotten bad press but it isn't yet warranted. There is no research from credible sources that has proven it is bad.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    I personally have noticed some trends with diet soda sort of causing me to crave sweets...

I've read of that effect in some people.
  • Tenster
    Options
    Chemicals no caffeine yes. Pepsi max has twice the amount of caffeine as normal diet Pepsi

It does contain chemicals. Pepsi max and most over diet drinks especially contain chemicals. Aspartame is the artificial sweetener that is used and that's got a very bad press in recent times

I didn't mean it didn't contain chemicals. Everything contains chemicals. Water is a chemical. I meant it's probably the caffeine keeping you up. It has gotten bad press but it isn't yet warranted. There is no research from credible sources that has proven it is bad.[/quote]

I know water contains chemicals, I'm not looking to nitpick what your saying to cause an argument but their is research out there to suggest it's damaging to health. Of course you can find an argument and counter argument for almost every thing relating to the health and fitness industry I was merely making the person who asked the question aware
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It does contain chemicals. Pepsi max and most over diet drinks especially contain chemicals. Aspartame is the artificial sweetener that is used and that's got a very bad press in recent times [/quote]

hi @Tenster
    You're right aspartame did get a bad press...on conspiracy theory sites, poor journalistic integrity papers and the health and fitness industry

There's a very good thread on here about aspartame, I'd urge you to at least read the opening post
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy diet soda, drink it! I have one occasionally. No, it's not a health food by any means, but it's not terrible, either. Everything in moderation! :)
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    It has sodium bicarbonate in it which sounds like junk and scares me.

They use that stuff in a process called "soda blasting" definitely stay away.

I heard they use that stuff in chicken from KFC too, so I never touch it.......that has nothing to do with all of our KFC's closing and are now Popeye's, but that's beside the point B)

I can't tell if you two are being sarcastic or not. Haha.

Sodium Bicarbonate is just baking soda. I'm pretty sure 95% of Americans have it in their household and use it for a variety of things. It is a kitchen staple if you bake. Unless you are ingesting tremendous amounts you are fine. Ever had a homemade chocolate chip cookie, cupcake, etc...? You are eating Sodium Bicarbonate.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The statement really shouldn't be "fat people drink soda, so soda causes people to be fat", it's more along the lines of "a lot of fat people drink a s***ton of soda, so large amounts of soda make you fat". I'm not saying everyone that's over weight drinks a lot of soda, but soda is like any other food or drink. In moderation, it's fine. If you drink it excessively, it's bad for you. Soda is basically empty calories, meaning little to no nutrition. A large percent of people drink it, and when they do, they don't realize just how much they drink it because they don't pay attention. That's why one of the first suggestions is usually to cut out soda. That's actually the first thing I did. I swapped out soda for unsweet tea with equal when I ate out, and I don't normally have soda in the house. I still drank it, but I limited myself to specific circumstances, which cut a LOT of calories out of my day with one simple change.

If you like the taste of diet or zero calorie sodas, that's a good thing to switch to. There's nothing wrong with it, and it helps you make a change in your diet without you feeling like you're being deprived of something you enjoy. I personally can't stand the aspartame aftertaste in anything, which is why I use Equal in tea, so diet sodas don't work for me. It's a personal preference, plenty of people don't have that aftertaste issue.
  • Tenster
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hey rab, very interesting read. Thanks for the info. I think the problem these days is that theirs so much false journalism and scare mongering that people (myself included) don't know what to believe. It's nice to see an article like that with a bit more of a scientific approach so thanks again
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hey rab, very interesting read. Thanks for the info. I think the problem these days is that theirs so much false journalism and scare mongering that people (myself included) don't know what to believe. It's nice to see an article like that with a bit more of a scientific approach so thanks again

Yeah if you pick and choose carefully there's a lot of people on here who bring the science and make it accessible...and the scales will fall :)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I didn't mean it didn't contain chemicals. Everything contains chemicals. Water is a chemical. I meant it's probably the caffeine keeping you up. It has gotten bad press but it isn't yet warranted. There is no research from credible sources that has proven it is bad.

I know water contains chemicals, I'm not looking to nitpick what your saying to cause an argument but their is research out there to suggest it's damaging to health. Of course you can find an argument and counter argument for almost every thing relating to the health and fitness industry I was merely making the person who asked the question aware [/quote]

She didn't say water contains chemicals-she said water IS a chemical.
    chemical-any substance that is formed when two or more other substances act upon one another or that is used to produce a change in another substance.
    ie. hydrogen+oxygen=water

And if you drink enough water, it will kill you. Everything can hurt you in certain amounts. But if someone finds that they are still losing weight and drinking a diet soda a day or something, then who cares?

I use crystal light packets in my water bottles to get more water in my day. I love those sparkling flavored waters-ICE I think is the brand. I drink plain water during and after my workouts. I'll have a diet soda when I go to a restaurant. It's all about balance.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I notice that I do better when I cut out the diet sodas. They themselves don't have any impact on weight loss, but indirectly they can at least for me. I notice that I sleep better when I cut out the soda and artificial sweeteners in general. I have know idea why, I just do. Even if it's all just in my head. I tend to have a bad nighttime snacking habit. So I would wake up more, snack more, consume more calories.

I also found that it makes me crave more sweet things. So I just try to cut it out. I do enjoy it though so I have it when I go out to eat or sometimes for lunch.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hi there -

I know that cutting out regular soda is a great way to lose weight, but does anyone know if the diet sodas like Coke Zero have any impact on weight loss? I know it has zero calories, but it is also filled with chemical crap. Even knowing this, I am so addicted - I can easily go through 2-3 cans a day. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

The key part of this to me is "Even knowing this, I am so addicted..." This journey we are all on is about making choices that are sustainable throughout our lives. Can you say "no" to this addiction? Changing our mindset about our approach to being healthy is the biggest hurdle. If you can say no to the diet soda it should be easier to say no to other things that aren't helpful in attaining your goals. Just my thoughts...although possibly irrelevant because I haven't had soda of any type in years.
  • Tenster
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

I know water contains chemicals, I'm not looking to nitpick what your saying to cause an argument but their is research out there to suggest it's damaging to health. Of course you can find an argument and counter argument for almost every thing relating to the health and fitness industry I was merely making the person who asked the question aware

She didn't say water contains chemicals-she said water IS a chemical.
    chemical-any substance that is formed when two or more other substances act upon one another or that is used to produce a change in another substance.
    ie. hydrogen+oxygen=water

And if you drink enough water, it will kill you. Everything can hurt you in certain amounts. But if someone finds that they are still losing weight and drinking a diet soda a day or something, then who cares?

I use crystal light packets in my water bottles to get more water in my day. I love those sparkling flavored waters-ICE I think is the brand. I drink plain water during and after my workouts. I'll have a diet soda when I go to a restaurant. It's all about balance.[/quote]

*kitten* me I wasn't looking for an argument lad, I was just giving my take on the matter.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Nachise wrote: »
    I cut them out entirely almost 10 years ago. I had a medical condition that made me sodium sensitive, and while drinking one soda doesn't have that much sodium, drinking several, or a two liter bottle does have a bit of sodium. I cut them out entirely because of the chemical stew. Personal choice, but I don't miss them at all. That took a while.

A two liter bottle of diet coke has around 240 mg of sodium, or about as much as half a bagel, one bowl of cereal or two slices of bread. Most people don't drink anywhere near that amount.

Did I mention that I had a medical condition that made me sodium sensitive? I believe I also mentioned it's a matter of personal choice?

By golly! Yes, I did!

But I'm not talking just to you. This is a public forum. You brought up the subject of sodium sensitivity as related to diet soda so I provided some context as to how much sodium there really is in a two liter bottle. That's nice that it'a personal preference for you not to drink it but for those who might have different preferences, I wanted to give some numbers and comparisons for benefit of those others, including people like myself who are also sodium sensitive and like to drink diet soda.