How would ovaltine rate compared to the shakeology fix everyone is doing?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Gertie011 wrote: »
    I've wondered just today, if its possible to use the 40 calorie choc drinks like hilights,let them cool and whizz up with a banana, not really as a meal replacement but just a treat?

Sure, why not? Anything is fair game as long as it tastes good to you and fits in your calories/macros.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If the brittle nails are a concern, maybe you could take a daily multivitamin for a while? Sometimes its a good idea while going on a very low calorie diet.

I have been working on getting my digestion cycle in order I will start taking my multivitamins. I just don't want it to mess with my going to the bathroom. In the past I related some of my "bm" issues to my multivitamin. ( May or may not have been related but I stopped taking them to get relief.

That was likely due to iron in the multi. Iron is VERY binding.....its reccomended that you take a stool softener with iron.

Look for a Multi without iron and you should be ok!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Does Ovaltine have added sugar? If it does I would skip it. If whey protein is not something you want to use make a shake of nonfat greek, banana or berries and one tablespoon of 100% dark cocoa. One T is only 30 calorie and it has lots of anti oxidents. You can add sweetener if you need it as well as spinach etc. You can find cocoa in the baking aisle at the market. I would steer clear of packaged drinks. I will bet there are a whole lot of things listed on the label that you can't even pronounce.

11692596_640121742792032_4429887299058588359_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f956114114d7710424ce0ec200551fc7&oe=573E2BE2
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is great and full of vitamins. HOWEVER its way over priced. Instead do your own smoothies and add protien and fiber if you want. I like Vega one or amazing greens protien and chia seeds bought online....its much more adorable than shakeology. I stopped drinking smoothies myself when I added up the calories and sugars, it wasn't worth it for me.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ralphie loved Ovaltine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Just don't shoot your eye out!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have struggled with anemia in the past. Brittle nails and ice chewing are two side effects I experience when I'm not getting enough iron. Since I've been taking a multivitamin, both have gone away.
  • seabrzjo
    seabrzjo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If the brittle nails are a concern, maybe you could take a daily multivitamin for a while? Sometimes its a good idea while going on a very low calorie diet.

I have been working on getting my digestion cycle in order I will start taking my multivitamins. I just don't want it to mess with my going to the bathroom. In the past I related some of my "bm" issues to my multivitamin. ( May or may not have been related but I stopped taking them to get relief.

I could never take the widely-advertised grocery store multi-vitamin brands as they tore up my stomach. Several years ago, I discovered the MegaFood vitamin line and have had no problems since. The company has been around since 1973 and only use whole foods to create their vitamins. I can even take them on an empty stomach and they do not bother my sensitive digestive system. I take them at bedtime and can tell the next day if I forgot to take them (energy). I started with the regular women's, moved to the Women over 40, and now take the Women over 55 product. I get them at my local Health Food Store, but if I run out for a couple weeks (rarely), I can definitely tell the difference in my hair and nails. Good luck!
  • seabrzjo
    seabrzjo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ...I will bet there are a whole lot of things listed on the label that you can't even pronounce.

11692596_640121742792032_4429887299058588359_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f956114114d7710424ce0ec200551fc7&oe=573E2BE2

It would be a sad day for me to remove my beloved green beans from my diet just because I could not pronounce Haricots Verts (French for Green Beans). :p
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Does Ovaltine have added sugar? If it does I would skip it. If whey protein is not something you want to use make a shake of nonfat greek, banana or berries and one tablespoon of 100% dark cocoa. One T is only 30 calorie and it has lots of anti oxidents. You can add sweetener if you need it as well as spinach etc. You can find cocoa in the baking aisle at the market. I would steer clear of packaged drinks. I will bet there are a whole lot of things listed on the label that you can't even pronounce.

Umm quinoa is great...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You don't need shakeology. It's made with inferior protein sources and the "superfoods" are just advertising hype. There is no such thing as "superfoods". There's nothing magical in there. As you've found, the 'craze' about shakeology is nothing more than beachbody coaches trying to make money selling their products.

This
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You don't not need shakeology, it is a processed product! You just need to eat more of a plant based diet, and exercise and you will be fine. The less processed the better you will be.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Random thoughts from a father and pharmacist.
    Shakeology: Shaking up its foundations

http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    for those that mentioned taking L lysine. I take it as I have brittle nails and that hasnt worked. Im also not anemic either. some people take biotin which is for hair,skin and nails so for the poster that may work for you. my brittle nails no matter what I take makes no difference. but I think mine are caused from years of chewing them that I screwed up the nailbeds or something causing them to be this way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Making your own shakes with Real Food (TM) in them is great - you're doing the right thing. Humans have been eating real food for millennia, and doing just fine without the addition of highly-processed, over-rated, expensive shake products.

Unless the Ovaltine adds a lot of deliciousness, I'm thinking that your lower-cal smoothie would be great even without it, though your Greek yogurt one presumably nets you more protein. Just blend in a variety of fruits and vegetables, play with your ingredients to get to something that has the right mix of macros and calorie level to meet your needs, at the right price point.

Then, maybe consider that multivitamin as backup/insurance (cheaper than the shake stuff). Your yogurt (assuming it has live cultures) and the fiber in your fruit/veg, should help with any problems in digestive transit , especially if you're drinking adequate amounts of water through the day, and getting some exercise. (I was diagnosed, in the past, with IBS/C - don't have problems any more, now that I have a healthier diet (including yogurt), hydrate well (I've learned that my particular body is very sensitive to this part), and get exercise. And I do take a multi.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1

Great in-depth analysis/review there. If you read the comments section, there are some seriously butthurt and desperately defensive Beachbody "coaches" responding to him! :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Great in-depth analysis/review there. If you read the comments section, there are some seriously butthurt and desperately defensive Beachbody "coaches" responding to him! :)

4h7h561mbeec.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    Options

4h7h561mbeec.jpg

Saving that one! I detest that they use the word "coach" to describe their salespeople. Their "coaches" undergo no training (except on how to sell shakes and recruit other people) and in their BB "Coach" FAQ, it says right there that you don't need to have any knowledge of nutrition or weight loss. How you can legitimately call such person a "coach" is ridiculous, disingenuous and farcical.
  • FussFreeFitness
    FussFreeFitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 pounds so far all with out using the shakeolgy but since I am aiming for a healthier me. I really don't have the money for shakeology stuff. I followed some fitness threads on my FB account and really liked it. However most are shake reps looking to get customers. I am unable to commit to buying since we a re a one income hh. I have been doing Greek yogurt, banana, flax seed and apple smoothies in the morning and that is about 500 calories. 'Today I did an oval-tine blend using skim milk, 50g blue berries, 60g strawberries 90g peeled banana and logged 264 calories. It was delicious!!

Any input or advice is appreciated!! :)

Shakeology is not necessary for fat loss. Neither are the ItWorks wraps, Take Shape for Life, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach diet, cleanses, or even protein shakes (I only buy those for the convenience). If you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose fat. If you want to have a healthy ratio of lean body mass to body fat, you need to eat a decent amount of protein and lift weights. Tracking your Vit A & C, calcium, iron, and fiber intake every day is every bit as important as tracking calories to ensure your body is getting the nutrients it needs.
  • FussFreeFitness
    FussFreeFitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Meh. A Carb is a carb. Science is science.

I personally enjoy potato chips in the morning for breakfast with my coffee and fake coffee creamer, but also enjoy reaping the benefits of having a very healthy body fat %, tons of energy, good muscle tone, and awesome blood work results. :)
  • blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I have enjoyed reading all of the most resent responds to this thread! I came back todays since I have looked at my nails and seen my thumb had split and peeled again. I have started taking Vitafusion mulivites.. I found a Try ME Free coupon on them. I was actually trying to remember the l lysine (sp) vitamin that was recommended in this thread. I will give it a little while and see how the multi vitamin does for me.
    Thanks everyone!