Under 30 and losing 100+ lbs

Options
I'm under 30 and looking to lose a little over 100 lbs. I started at the beginning of the new year and I'm down 10 lbs in 3 weeks and it's great to get on the scale and see it go down. But there are days when it doesn't go down... I've heard other say use a belt it will help you keep track and it's a great motivator. I can't find a belt to fit. Any other ideas? I've spent January working on just eating healthier. I start working out on Monday Feb. 1.
Also, has any one already lost this kinda weight? How much loose skin did you have? The idea scares me!!

Replies

• n_cook2005
    n_cook2005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 28 and have over 100 pounds to lose. I am down about 20 pounds and have a long ways to go. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like! Good luck on your journey to a new you!
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Measuring tape. Measure your waist, hips, and arms. Or, if you don't like to see the numbers just get a piece of rope and use that as a faux-belt.
  • rachelcole88
    rachelcole88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's great!! Thanks!
    This is my second attempt at losing weight but I feel more motivated this time so I'm hoping/planning on doing a better job than last time
  • stephyc2016
    stephyc2016 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Measuring and pictures. Pictures are always fun if you take one at the end of each month and compare it to a picture of when you started. You'll be amazed how much your body changes!

If I remember correctly for the loose skin you can help counteract that, not all of it but a lot of it, by weight lifting and taking a Fish Oil Supplement. I could be wrong with my memory but I heard those were good ways to help with skin while losing weight. :)
  • dkozey
    dkozey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have 100 pounds to lose too. Pls add me as a friend as I need an accountability buddy. I've lost 16 pounds in January but am stuck for several days and I think we can help motivate each for the long journey we have ahead.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself. Don't expect to see a loss every day or every week for that matter. Weight will fluctuate day to day.
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

Your losing roughly 3.3 lbs per week right now. Which isn't too bad. Don't expect it to continue at that rate though. 2 lbs per week is typically the max that is considered safe/healthy to lose without doctor supervision. Also, faster rates of loss can result in more loose skin because your skin didn't have time to adapt with your loss. Just some things to keep in mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost over 100 lbs. Yes I have some loose skin. All things considering it could be much worse than it is and I count myself lucky that it's pretty much just a little bit over my c-section scar.
    My thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257157/c-section-mom-of-2-my-progress-over-the-past-couple-years-lots-of-pics/p1
  • MrsHuffmanNC
    MrsHuffmanNC Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not under 30, I'm 36 and on a journey to lose 100 pounds over the next 12 to 18 months. I'm looking for active friends with similar goals.
  • rachelcole88
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm not sure how to add people. I know most under 30 people are super techy not me! Please add me and I will definitely accept. How is everyone doing so far? Down any more?
  • TrishAndGirls
    TrishAndGirls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm under 30 and looking to lose a little over 100 lbs. I started at the beginning of the new year and I'm down 10 lbs in 3 weeks and it's great to get on the scale and see it go down. But there are days when it doesn't go down... I've heard other say use a belt it will help you keep track and it's a great motivator. I can't find a belt to fit. Any other ideas? I've spent January working on just eating healthier. I start working out on Monday Feb. 1.
    Also, has any one already lost this kinda weight? How much loose skin did you have? The idea scares me!!

i was looking for a belt yesterday, none fit me! :-( I was so upset. I lost 17 lbs in 3weeks, lots of water weight mainly I guess, and I cut out soda and sweets all together... but the last 3 weeks have been little to no loss, I've plateaued I guess so started working on strength training to mix the routine up. my biggest exercise is walking, I'm a job coach and am constantly walking around helping my clients do their jobs. Loose skin scares me so much too! but I'm in the state of mind that I don't care, I'm worried about my health, not so much my looks. there will always be some lose skin depending on how fast you lose the weight. I'm planning to lose slowly so that my skin can tighten up gradually with the weight loss...

good luck! sending friend request! :-)
  • TrishAndGirls
    TrishAndGirls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm not sure how to add people. I know most under 30 people are super techy not me! Please add me and I will definitely accept. How is everyone doing so far? Down any more?

sending you a friend request :-)
  • smschmitz
    smschmitz Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    While I'm closer to 40, I'm in the same boat. I've lost thw weight once but in having a hard time not snacking at night (my weakness) and weekends are sooo hard for me! I've been at it now for almost a month and am doing ok. I'm aiming for 1.5 lbs a week. I'd love to stay connected to y'all!
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yay i like this group im 20 and i lost 11 pounds my first week without cheating or starvig i feel so happy

I have been sick tho im preaty sure thats why
  • AudoribleAudrey
    AudoribleAudrey Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am 27 and 5'6" and started my "healthy me campaign" the day after Christmas. So far I lost 31 pounds. I pack my food to work every day and been adding in workouts regularly. Mfp has been a huge help to me. I am currently 239. If I lose 100lbs, I'd be one fit mama. Since starting I am about 25% the way there. My first goal is to get under 200 again. I hope to be close to 170 pounds by October. I want to ride rollercoasters again at cedar point. When I weighed 205lbs, I went there with my stick skinny bf, waited 3 hours in line and I was too fat. The seatbelt would close. Hummmmiliatinggggg.
  • smschmitz
    smschmitz Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I feel that. We are headed to Disney for the first time in July and I'm terrified I won't fit in the seat-
  • rachelcole88
    Options
    Hi All,
    So work got crazy and I TOTALLY fell off the weight loss wagon for March and April! I'm back on track and I even convinced my husband that it would help me if I got a personal trainer to help with my exercising. Frankly for me if I'm shelling out $25 a session plus $30 a month for a gym membership I'm sticking with it. So I just started last week with the PT and let me just say he killed me! Seriously 3 workouts a week with him and 5 days of cardio plus I have a very strict meal plan. It's more or less paleo. But I'm seeing results already and I feel better than I have in a long time. Just from 1 week of working out!!! It's incredible! I'm sore, I'm craving carbs and sweets and I'm so ready for a cheat meal (next Saturday will be my first one) one cheat meal every 7 days after you've gone 7 days which is why I didn't do it this weekend. And it's a cheat meal not a cheat day. Just FYI! Lol.
    I'm excited to see how it goes. The trainer had me weigh when we started and weigh again today and I'll weigh every Sunday. He thinks that he can help me lose 100 lbs by Christmas! If that happens I'll be in Onederland and almost to my goal weight! So excited! Keep working and I'll send more updates as I go through the process!
  • rachelcole88
    Options
    smschmitz wrote: »
    I feel that. We are headed to Disney for the first time in July and I'm terrified I won't fit in the seat-

This happened to me at universal in florida. I was mortified! I can't even express to you how horrible it was! And my husband was livid (not with me with the ride/universal) and couldn't understand how I couldn't fit and kinda made a scene and I appreciate where his heart was at... The whole defending my honor and what not but it was seriously more embarrassing because it brought more attention to my "situation" as I've taken to calling my being overweight..
    A little tip: most rides at most amusement parks have a row that house few seats that are "extra roomy" and allow people who are bigger to ride those rides. The people who work the rides and who man the gates at the front will be able to tell you which rides and what rows.
    Hope this helps and enjoy Disney!!!

• xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Im under 30! I have over 100 lbs to lose too, so feel free to add :)
  • msfofo80
    msfofo80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am over 30 (35) but I just wanted to say congrats! I did 30 days straight Paleo and lost 14 lbs had 2 cheat meals over mothers day weekend and then started 30 days again on 5/9 and I am down 3 more lbs.

I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred 3 days a week and then walking 4 days a week.

I just wanted to tell you to make sure you are measuring. When you are doing intense workouts with a trainer sometimes the scale stalls and the inches come off faster!

KEEP IT UP!! You've got this!!!
  • kmansbart
    kmansbart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    smschmitz wrote: »

This happened to me at universal in florida. I was mortified! I can't even express to you how horrible it was! And my husband was livid (not with me with the ride/universal) and couldn't understand how I couldn't fit and kinda made a scene and I appreciate where his heart was at... The whole defending my honor and what not but it was seriously more embarrassing because it brought more attention to my "situation" as I've taken to calling my being overweight..
    A little tip: most rides at most amusement parks have a row that house few seats that are "extra roomy" and allow people who are bigger to ride those rides. The people who work the rides and who man the gates at the front will be able to tell you which rides and what rows.
    Hope this helps and enjoy Disney!!!
    I can sympathize. This happened to me at 6 Flags. And the worst part was, I fit in the tester seats but once I got on, the hydraulic locks wouldn't work. I think I went on two rides that day.... Tea Cups and Log Flume. It was terrible.
  • Merrm
    Merrm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I started around the same time you did (new years) with about 100 pounds to lose. Right now I'm about 50 pounds off, 50 to go. The thing I found most helpful was getting a fitbit charge hr. I love that I can see exactly how many calories I'm burning in a day vs how much I'm eating, assuming that I log accurately. When there's a sale you can get a refurbished one on Groupon for around $100. That's what I did and it's worked perfectly. Feel free to add me as a friend.