Females... and diet around your period..

Options
Do any other females experience a few days a month where they are constantly hungry, I usually feel this way a week or so before my period.. or nothing is ever satisfying enough?? or no matter the meal you had, its like Chinese and 20 min later your starving again??

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    of course!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Yup, that was definitely me yesterday. Lots of pasta, wine, and some ice cream to boot. I enjoyed every last bit of it though, and I'm back on track today.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Yup, I eat at maintenance level calories for a few days.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yep it sucks. Some people like to eat at maintenance for those few days, or just up their calories by enough to get by and still maintain some kind of deficit. I like to white-knuckle it and just deal. I have trouble getting back on track when I fall off, but no trouble STAYING on track if I never "cheat" (I hate that word, it's too negative). Do whatever you must do. I find that after those few days of wanting to eat everything including the kitchen sink, I get a week or a little less of no appetite at all. If you're similar you could probably use this to make up for 'cheating'.

ETA: I think Chinese food gets a bad rap. I never feel hungry after chinese, at least not more than any other kind of food :p
  • hoovified
    hoovified Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have that! I usually try to eat more veggies or stuff that takes awhile to eat during these times. Andof course drink more water ha-ha.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I call it my vacuum day.
  • debicarpenter941
    debicarpenter941 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this right now. I'm just starving a few days before my period. Which is right now.!! I'm having pizza & wine (a lot of it). You do have to live . Just get back on track tomorrow rather than next week I say !!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I dont normally but did last month, it was offset by my monthly cleaning frenzy. My husband thinks its pretty funny as one day a month I get boundless energy. Last month it happened to be a Saturday and I cleaned for hours. It was a very productive day and I didn't feel bad for the extra calories I ate.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Like 2 days before the flow actually starts and then like 1-2 of the initial flow do I eat calories to maintain. The rest of the flow I can usually go back to my diet and exercise.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yep! It is usually only a day of ToM for me and coincides with the day that I am extra fatigued. I've found that exercising, even if for twenty minutes, helps get me out of that eat-the-whole-damn-box-of-cookies moment as well as lifting the fatigue. Sometimes I just have to eat an extra serving of cookies, though, and work it off later!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    for about 3 days out of the month, I want and eat sweets. I am good the rest of the month so for those few days. I don't stress about it. I just make sure I am a bit more active.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    YES !!! I have a few bottomless pit days, a few days where I want to rip everyone's head off, than I miraculously gain 3 pounds overnight without overeating. I just love hormones.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like to white-knuckle it and just deal. I have trouble getting back on track when I fall off, but no trouble STAYING on track if I never "cheat" (I hate that word, it's too negative). Do whatever you must do.

Same here. I just grit my teeth and get through it. Something that really, really helps me is to just go to bed early on those days. I'm exhausted and cranky anyhow, and sleep somehow miraculously seems to solve it!

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    No I never notice a difference.....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, this is very common ... and if you read through the first 5 or 6 or 10 pages here, you'll discover threads just like these on every page. :)

That said ...

-- I eat what I normally eat even if I am a little bit more hungry for a day.

-- I exercise as I normally would.

-- I only gain a little bit, perhaps a kilogram at most ... and it is gone again in a few days. In fact, I usually lose an extra kg in the week after.

-- the lower my weight is, the less I am affected by PMS and perimenopausal symptoms. Once I dropped under 140 lbs, the hunger, grouchiness, hot flashes, etc. etc. almost disappeared.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I just need to binge now. I can't control it anymore. So over fighting with my hormones and my hunger.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Usually I just crave dairy products and any bad foods from ice cream to chocolate candy to chocolate milk to pizza or caffeine in pop lol but normally I eat what I'm craving within my calorie limit and sit around or push myself to go for a walk even though I feel like killing something and staying on the couch watching Netflix lol
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes these days are for sure a thing. I mostly give in because it's hard not to, but when I have small victories where I resist temptations it is exciting. But no, chocolate and ice cream are huge got me. As well as like culvers butter burgers LOL
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Culver's butter burgers are incredible! I miss Wisconsin- and the states inbetween that have them, lol.

I recently dealt with this. I gave in and allowed myself to eat more. I don't always feel like a bottomless pit before my time of the month, so I figured I would just go with it. Unfortunately I have PCOS, so wonky hormone leaves can make me skip it entirely and feel really annoyed by random cramps until it finally shows up at some indeterminate time in the future. And that's what's happening. :P

If you Google a bit you'll discover some interesting information about a slightly raised BMR during the days leading up to your period, as well as possible reasons for craving certain foods. For example, chocolate is a good source of magnesium, progesterone effects serotonin levels, which can lead to craving carbohydrates to raise it, etc.

Good luck. :]

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I allow for it!