Need Expertise..Females, despite Lifting, Cardio, etc..who has stubborn thigh, hips and buttock fat

Options
RoxieDawn
RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
edited January 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Male or female responses wanted.. :)

I do not normally create topics in the MFP forums and there is a topic of great importance to me, as I am an approaching middle age women 48 years old (peri menopause) who has been strength training, doing cardio and various mix ups in dieting and exercising to all accomplish really one goal now that I lost 15 pounds which is to get rid of or at least minimize the stubborn butt, leg (inner and saddlebags) and hips.
Let me iterate, I do not need to lose any weight. No weight what so ever.

1) have been lifting and cardio for 13 months. I lost 15 pounds and I have built me quite a bit of lean mass and strength, but the stuff mentioned above will not go away.

2) I have eaten in surplus to bulk, I have eaten at a deficit to loose fat. Right now I am what I call trying to cut by creating another deficit to loose fat (trying again) and I am getting leaner but I am in another cycle where the stuff mentioned above will not move.

3) The past 11 months has not been a failure as a matter of fact things have changed and mu body completely changed in a great way, except holding on the stuff!! LOL

4) If I have not already, I would like to mention I know all about the weight loss is not linear and cannot spot reduce… THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR..

Not to go into my programs, etc., what I want to do is open this topic for those not only in the same boat but would really like to understand this issue from those out there that have successfully beaten this beast or is at the moment.

I keep seeing article on the web that points back to the following (for example)..

1) Subcutaneous fat is far more stubborn compared to visceral fat. DUH!

2)Subcutaneous fat is stubborn because it is more reactive to insulin, has lower blood supply AND has more alpha receptors

3) Visceral fat is less stubborn because it has more beta receptors, greater blood flow and is less reactive to insulin

4) Female subcutaneous fat in the lower body has about 9 to 10 times more alpha receptors compared to male lower body fat

5) The place on men that is most stubborn is the lower belly fat and love handle area

6) The places that are most stubborn on women are the saddle bags, inner thighs, butt and lower belly fat.

7) Stubborn fat is stubborn is due to poor blood supply. Both the fact that it is in colder areas AND has more alpha receptors make this so

8) Stubborn fat is impacted directly or indirectly by many different types of hormones. These hormones have varying effects on the activity of HSL and LPL as well as alpha and beta receptors

AND

In order for fat to be lost from a particular area the following events need to occur

1) Fat needs to be released from a fat cell (this process of fat breakdown and release is called “lipolysis”).

2) Fat needs to be carried to another cell through the blood stream (poor blood flow to an area means slow fat loss from an area).

3) Fat needs to enter another cell to be burned (this process of fat actually being burned is called “lipid oxidation”).

4) Just because fat is broken down and released (lipolysis), does not automatically mean it will find its way to another cell and ultimately be burned (lipid oxidation). It could be restored and this is often the case in people who are very insulin resistant.

Etc… Etc.. Etc..Etc... Etc...

What this boils down to hormones and the way woman store fat. Yeah?

Any one, have knowledge or expertise in beating this demon or at my age, am I beating a dead horse, and should accept perhaps there is a set point here to acceptance?

DOES THIS TAKE YEARS, and I need to keep doing what I am doing?

Any ideas on how to approach this?

Now Go…. And btw, thanks for the responses.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    what are you judging yourself against? if it's retouched celeb / model shots then stop

I can only see your profile but see no fat areas - have you had a dexa scan for actual fat deposits - are you possibly judging yourself on something nobody else sees?

OK that is probably not what you're looking for

I'd say look at Bret Contreras - the whole weighted squats, lunges, hip thrusts, glute bridge and give it years at recomp and accept genetics

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Oh my...this has been on my mind. I have been in recomp for a tad over a year and have seen some fantastic changes in my body. My butt and thighs have been very slow to change.

Until recently I couldn't even see that I had quad muscles. Now they are visible when I flex. As for my butt...ughh it doesn't help that I have 41 year old skin covering it.

I kinda decided that I am going to keep at recomp through the summer and reevaluate. I might start a bulk late summer/early fall. If I do a bulk/cut I am only doing it once and then I am just going to assume that acceptance is the route to go. I will still lift for health but I am not going to beat myself up for something that may never change.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've accepted that I will always have more fat on my butt/gut/thighs because 1. female, 2. genetics, and 3. morbidly obese for 30 years. Only way I can see to get rid of (most) it is via surgery.

You look fine in your avatar, but I know how well clothes are at holding things in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do agree with @rabbitjb - I've seen your profile picture in threads before and was very surprised to find out that you are 48 (well done!).

My stubborn fat areas are the typical male ones of belly, love-handles and chest. It's where I lose from the last and also where it piles on in a surplus.
    Been maintaining for years and training hard and see a huge difference in leanness of legs, arms and back. Even when I gain a few pounds that leanness doesn't go from those parts. My "problem areas" are better but the difference is not as great.

But my appearance goal is to look good for a bloke in his 50's and not try to look like a 20 something. Maybe it's possible but that's not a goal I'm prepared to make the required sacrifices for. I'm not prepared to diet down to an ultra-low body fat. Appearance is a long way behind happiness, enjoying my training/exercise and also food in my priorities.

So can and will your "problem areas" improve? Yes - but slower than you would like.
    I don't believe in set points, slow points but not set points if that makes sense?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In repsonse to the first post...I am judging my self. I have real before after monthly pics (can't upload them they 90% naked) of the real stuff... I want to know how this works and how can I improve..

This is not a self judging post,

It is an open discussion and if I can get something for my self, education, knowledge that would be king.

Edited to add, I am NOT SAYING I look bad in any way.. I want to improve the KNOWN stubborn fat issues that really are from what I read hormonally to blame and of course genetics, ets..
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My cellulite has decreased in appearance, but it isn't gone (I've been lifting for 2+years and in my 30s). What I've gathered from online articles (most bb.com) is that it would take extreme dieting to completely get rid of all of the butt/thigh fat (especially if that is where you tend to have fat).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Well, you certainly covered it all with the exception that increasing insulin sensitivity in muscle cells also increases it in fat cells so you've done a great job. My big issue is lower ab but the question is at what BF% will you need to get to to burn these areas off to the degree that you want? It seems likely that you won't be able to find a sustainable BF% and not have a little extra in these areas.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Let me add, from what I am seeing here, then there is a sloooow point to maybe even a set point to where this "stuff" will not go any where...etc..

I AM OK WIT THAT..

I get what you guys are saying and of course I will just keep doing what I am doing none the less and BE HAPPY!!

Cheers Guys and thanks for the replies..
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Let me add, from what I am seeing here, then there is a sloooow point to maybe even a set point to where this "stuff" will not go any where...etc..

I AM OK WIT THAT..

I get what you guys are saying and of course I will just keep doing what I am doing none the less and BE HAPPY!!

Cheers Guys and thanks for the replies..

I know you've heard it before but you have done a great job so just keep on doing what you're doing!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I got down to 97 at one point and held there for 6 months because I could - looked pretty awful in some areas and my kids wanted to do an intervention, but - still had belly, butt, hips. I look at my family and see thunderthighs etc. I talk to my personal trainer and she said so many people get discouraged and stop working out because there are areas on their bodies that don't seem to show much improvement. We are locked in by genetics more than we might be aware and some things will only go so far, no matter what you weigh and how diligently you lift and work out. All that said, your lifestyle (OP) is a good and healthy one and can't do anything but benefit you in the long run, so I would keep it up and not be looking for a huge return on investment any longer. Small permanent improvements might be all you will see from now on.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Thanks @wheelouse15..

The one thing I did not want to come from this, was that I was looking for you guys out there in the community to pass compliments on my way... but I will take them... LOL and thanks..

Somehow the I misrepresented what the goal was in this post (sorry about that) ,, and again thanks for reading and posting..

TGIF!! :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    In repsonse to the first post...I am judging my self. I have real before after monthly pics (can't upload them they 90% naked) of the real stuff... I want to know how this works and how can I improve..

It is an open discussion and if I can get something for my self, education, knowledge that would be king.

Edited to add, I am NOT SAYING I look bad in any way.. I want to improve the KNOWN stubborn fat issues that really are from what I read hormonally to blame and of course genetics, ets..

I do think that genetic body types and shapes are real - I can gain or lose and will always be built pretty much straight up and down - my ribcage and hipbones are close together and hipbones are slim so there just isn't any room for a waist, I can't get a curvy look or tiny waist even though I'd like a slightly smaller waist. Even before I had all those kids, could never get the middle much smaller than the hips/bust. If you are a pear, that's a healthy body type, you know, and you will probably always be curvy like that when fit. It's not a bad thing.

Do you know your overall bodyfat % ? If it is over 20% I think you have a good chance to reshape some more with continued exercise, recomposition, but if your fat % is already where you want it, I think that building up your quads/hamstrings/glutes is a better idea, even though it won't make you smaller, it will change the outline of your body to a leaner look.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ha! For what it's worth, I have had the same question floating in my head for a while. I am a PhD-level, peer reviewed physiologist working with world experts on fat loss and nutrition/exercise physiology, so I *should* know better than to be perturbed about my thighs when I, like the OP, am at a healthy weight and fitness level. I've lost 30 lbs and seen a big change in my body during this time. Still, I have been wondering about the fat that still hangs round my butt and thighs.

Certainly, the fat will disappear if I get my body fat % down lower. I have no idea about what mine is and my good health does not justify a dexa scan (our lab ones are too small for people). However, my upper body is very slim and muscular, because that is just how my skeleton is shaped and the fat simply left there first. I don't know if I really want to get any thinner above my belly, but that's what will happen if I struggle to lose the inner thigh jiggle.

I am well aware that my irritation with my lower body fat is very personal. I am not comparing to others (at 51 yrs, I have finally learned not to) and I feel so fortunate to be strong, healthy and reasonably attractive. It is more of a personal goal to see if it is biologically possible for me to have slim legs and butt. On the other hand, I don't think I really want to kill myself to test that hypothesis. I consider this phase of my weight loss as vanity-driven.

OP - if you figure this out, do share!!! Good luck and I share your frustration.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat (and I'm 49), though of course to me you look fantastic. Interestingly, I went on a vacation to a warm spot with my extended family recently, so I had a chance to see lots of relatives of all ages/fitness levels in shorts and swimsuits. I did notice that we are all shaped basically the same--just smaller and larger versions. Recomp is slow (I've been at it for a year), and I often feel as if I'm not making any progress at all. Every once in a while I think about bulking and cutting, but it really doesn't appeal to me emotionally/psychologically. So I just go back to what I've been doing and try to focus (I know you are, too) on the fact that I'm going to turn 50 this year and I'm more fit than I've ever been. I'd love to hear any suggestions.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

I do think that genetic body types and shapes are real - I can gain or lose and will always be built pretty much straight up and down - my ribcage and hipbones are close together and hipbones are slim so there just isn't any room for a waist, I can't get a curvy look or tiny waist even though I'd like a slightly smaller waist. Even before I had all those kids, could never get the middle much smaller than the hips/bust. If you are a pear, that's a healthy body type, you know, and you will probably always be curvy like that when fit. It's not a bad thing.

Do you know your overall bodyfat % ? If it is over 20% I think you have a good chance to reshape some more with continued exercise, recomposition, but if your fat % is already where you want it, I think that building up your quads/hamstrings/glutes is a better idea, even though it won't make you smaller, it will change the outline of your body to a leaner look.

She's a 48 year old woman ...anything under 23% is considered lean ...I'd certainly hope, if non competition, she is over 20%
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Awww I got excited when reading this post I thought someone may actually be able to help but seems many of us are plagued by it! I wish I had an answer of any help, but it would appear no matter what I do or eat my bum/thighs just don't shrink!!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Genetics, time and hard work. You have been doing it all along. Keep up the great work! Continuing doing what is working for you.

I love this Bruce Lee quote: Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Awww I got excited when reading this post I thought someone may actually be able to help but seems many of us are plagued by it! I wish I had an answer of any help, but it would appear no matter what I do or eat my bum/thighs just don't shrink!!

Guys who lament their beer guts should feel fortunate since those go away a lot faster than lower body fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have very large legs and butt. I worked my butt off, literally, to get lean enough to bulk-and my thighs and butt were STILL big and fatty. I'm bulking now but can tell that even after the cut, I'm always going to have very large thighs.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. I've been a pear-shaped human being since the day I was born; heavy thighs above all (and heavy upper arms, oh my god, those upper arms!). One of my biggest regrets in life is hating my body--off and on, through fat and not-fat (can never say "thin" because of my thighs).

I look back at when I was in my teens and hated my thighs. 20's, remembering how much I hated my thighs. Then pics of me in my 30's, and I remember how much I hated my thighs. Then in my 40's, and I hated my thighs.

A few years ago, turning 50 was over the horizon, and I started MFP. Lost a bunch of weight, succeeded, and I swear to God the second I turned 50 I thought to myself what a freaking waste of time it was to hate my thighs or my body. It was one of the most freeing moments I ever had, when I realized I was done with the thigh-hate.

Now, I look like a fairly decent, in-shape 53-year old chick, with chunky, cottage-cheese thighs. And I LOVE these thighs. These lumpy bumpy things have walked me up and down Grand Canyon, they've zoomed me on water skis, they've hiked me up mountains, they can still perform a decent squat and deadlift, and they've taken me to places I will never forget. Thank you, thighs.

I can never have the time back that I spent looking at my thighs in the mirror, condemning them. Cursing my genes, wishing that I had nice, slender thighs. Considering how many people have it so much worse, I will take my thighs any day of the week and twice on Sunday.