Need Expertise..Females, despite Lifting, Cardio, etc..who has stubborn thigh, hips and buttock fat

Options

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. I've been a pear-shaped human being since the day I was born; heavy thighs above all (and heavy upper arms, oh my god, those upper arms!). One of my biggest regrets in life is hating my body--off and on, through fat and not-fat (can never say "thin" because of my thighs).

I look back at when I was in my teens and hated my thighs. 20's, remembering how much I hated my thighs. Then pics of me in my 30's, and I remember how much I hated my thighs. Then in my 40's, and I hated my thighs.

A few years ago, turning 50 was over the horizon, and I started MFP. Lost a bunch of weight, succeeded, and I swear to God the second I turned 50 I thought to myself what a freaking waste of time it was to hate my thighs or my body. It was one of the most freeing moments I ever had, when I realized I was done with the thigh-hate.

Now, I look like a fairly decent, in-shape 53-year old chick, with chunky, cottage-cheese thighs. And I LOVE these thighs. These lumpy bumpy things have walked me up and down Grand Canyon, they've zoomed me on water skis, they've hiked me up mountains, they can still perform a decent squat and deadlift, and they've taken me to places I will never forget. Thank you, thighs.

I can never have the time back that I spent looking at my thighs in the mirror, condemning them. Cursing my genes, wishing that I had nice, slender thighs. Considering how many people have it so much worse, I will take my thighs any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Perfect. Our complaints are so minor relative to things in life that really matter. Life is too short to fret about this stuff. We need to free ourselves like you did. Thanks!
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I was 9 years old (well over 50 years ago), my mother who was watching Miss America on tv looked at me and said, "Your thighs have a gap. You need to fix them so they look more like those women." I was never able to fix them so they look like that. Also I have a round face, a fat neck, short legs and a long torso, and frizzy hair. My cousins laughed at me about my hair, and I spent 40 years ironing and straightening my hair which also never looked like Miss America hair. When I turned 50, suddenly I didn't give a rat's *kitten* about my skinny thighs with the gap or my frizzy hair. When I think of all the energy and time and money I spent stressing and desperately trying to fix what ultimately could not be fixed, well what a wretched waste of time.

Spend your time doing something that makes you feel good and makes other people feel good. My relentless quest to fix my hair and thighs stressed my friends as well as me. You are doing the best you can for yourself. That's all you can do.

And you didn't need this. You're looking for practical advice, and I sympathize, but don't have anything useful.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    starling01 wrote: »
    When I was 9 years old (well over 50 years ago), my mother who was watching Miss America on tv looked at me and said, "Your thighs have a gap. You need to fix them so they look more like those women." I was never able to fix them so they look like that. Also I have a round face, a fat neck, short legs and a long torso, and frizzy hair. My cousins laughed at me about my hair, and I spent 40 years ironing and straightening my hair which also never looked like Miss America hair. When I turned 50, suddenly I didn't give a rat's *kitten* about my skinny thighs with the gap or my frizzy hair. When I think of all the energy and time and money I spent stressing and desperately trying to fix what ultimately could not be fixed, well what a wretched waste of time.

Spend your time doing something that makes you feel good and makes other people feel good. My relentless quest to fix my hair and thighs stressed my friends as well as me. You are doing the best you can for yourself. That's all you can do.

And you didn't need this. You're looking for practical advice, and I sympathize, but don't have anything useful.

We are sisters in spirit! Yes, I don't have practical advice for something I know bothers the OP. All I know is ten years from now, you'll be looking at photos of you today, and first saying "geez, what the hell was I thinking?? That body is amazing!" and second saying, "what a waste of energy stressing about that." Starling01's "you are doing the best you can for yourself" is right on point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Try getting down to 12%-15% bodyfat. That's basically competition conditioning for a female. You'll be shocked at how little body fat you can get down to. Just a warning though: to do this takes some pretty extreme consistency and eating.
    Thing is most won't attempt it and will likely just have to deal with the genetics they have (where fat is mostly stored). But if it's something you want to try, take about 24 weeks to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    In repsonse to the first post...I am judging my self. I have real before after monthly pics (can't upload them they 90% naked) of the real stuff... I want to know how this works and how can I improve..

This is not a self judging post,

It is an open discussion and if I can get something for my self, education, knowledge that would be king.

Edited to add, I am NOT SAYING I look bad in any way.. I want to improve the KNOWN stubborn fat issues that really are from what I read hormonally to blame and of course genetics, ets..

I do think that genetic body types and shapes are real - I can gain or lose and will always be built pretty much straight up and down - my ribcage and hipbones are close together and hipbones are slim so there just isn't any room for a waist, I can't get a curvy look or tiny waist even though I'd like a slightly smaller waist. Even before I had all those kids, could never get the middle much smaller than the hips/bust. If you are a pear, that's a healthy body type, you know, and you will probably always be curvy like that when fit. It's not a bad thing.

Do you know your overall bodyfat % ? If it is over 20% I think you have a good chance to reshape some more with continued exercise, recomposition, but if your fat % is already where you want it, I think that building up your quads/hamstrings/glutes is a better idea, even though it won't make you smaller, it will change the outline of your body to a leaner look.

She's a 48 year old woman ...anything under 23% is considered lean ...I'd certainly hope, if non competition, she is over 20%

I dunno, I will be 48 in a few weeks and am right at 20% (as measured both by caliper and the device that sends electricity through to check - it matches my BMI estimate so I am confident in the measurement) and look and feel good, not extreme at all, and most certainly not like a fitness model or competitor. Just regular fit older lady. I stay around the same weight but any first few pounds gained or lost for me come & go from the hips and upper thighs which is why I think that she might be able to slightly reshape by losing fat if she isn't already at 20%.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    @CarlydogsMom and @starling01 I appreciate both of your posts, and I will concur that there is something very freeing about turning 50 and shucking off the body-parts angst once and for all. Maybe it's wisdom, long overdue (for me, anyway.)
  • carriesheph
    carriesheph Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 52 years old, 5'6, weigh 120, small framed and my body fat is 20%. I agree with robininfl. I'm not in any competitions or any form of a bodybuilder. I have always worked out or atleast active in my daily life. I think genetics plays a huge roll in my body makeup.
    I feel very strongly that you need to find what exercises work for you. I was lucky enough to be introduced to pole dancing workouts with Sheila Kelly's S Factor. I started pole when I turned 40 and continued for 8 years before I had to quit due to an injury that had nothing to do with pole. During those 8 years I also incorporated pilates 1-2 x a week. When I had my injury I basically quit exercising for the first year than I turned 50 and was down again with a finger injury which lead to surgery which than in return I got a staph infection in my finger and back to surgery again. So at 51 started back at gym with trainer 3 x week, tried to walk 4 miles or 10000 steps. This plan wasn't working so well for me. I needed to go back to what works for my body. My body likes music, flowing around a pole. Engaging muscles to climb, invert and holding on to pole with your inner thighs. My body also loves pilates, she responds so well to the reformer and how it makes my body look....long and lean. And most of all I do weight train 3 x a week. I want to have some definition in my abs, arms, back, shoulders and thighs.

I've told you guys what has worked for me in the past. Let's fast forward to January 1st. I'm going to be as honest as possible, here it goes. I think on January 1st I ordered NutriSystem for a month. Their dry food would honestly make a good earthquake kit. I also ordered their frozen option and have enjoyed the breakfast, lunch and most snacks. I started back at the gym with my trainer, went back to pilates 2x week, trying to go back to pole atleast 1 x week until my body can adjust. If weather is acceptable I've been taking my goldendoodle for walks with my little Sophia tagging along. I cheat a little and have endermologie 2 x a week, this helps with cellulite and skin tightening. I've been at this consistently for January and I have abs again, my waist and hips are reducing everyday and I have gone down a size in my jeans. My upper body is slowly catching on and the lower has shown me what I really am made of.

I can't wait for February, I have same goals and just want to continue to better myself. I have 2 girls and I'm glad I've raised them to realize they need to feed their souls as well as their minds, exercise to be fit and healthy.
    The bottom line you need to find what makes you happy while exercising and have fun. Try something old, hoolahoop, hopscotch or jump rope with a friend.

Regardless of our age, body form or weight, toning certain parts of our body is difficult and it may take awhile, so why not try something fun and see if that works for you. Think out of the box.

Sorry so long..... :)
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have very large legs and butt. I worked my butt off, literally, to get lean enough to bulk-and my thighs and butt were STILL big and fatty. I'm bulking now but can tell that even after the cut, I'm always going to have very large thighs. [/quot

My legs and butt won't get lean no matter what I do. I do have good muscle tone with a layer of fat that won't budge on legs. Maybe lippo is the only thing that will get rid of that layer of fat on legs? My butt "sigh" always hated it and nothing seems to work.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bravo for the thread and the knowledge you've accumulated. You are pretty much right in terms of time it takes and the recomp cycling.

Basically you have too choices - very low BF restriction...
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Try getting down to 12%-15% body fat.
    Then possibly bulking slowly while strength training to a comfortable BF/BW.

...or continued at maintenance and strength train as a long-term recomp. (yes, it takes a long time).

Normally I'd suggest the later because most people do not have the developed lbm to support a large cut. But looking at your profile picture which shows good muscle dev., you might consider a cut down to 15-18% BF(err, not 12% - I know you said you don't want to lose weight) and then a bulk.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    @gia07

I'm in a similar camp to EvgeniZyntx and others as to few possible ways to change it, but with only one addition.

Back in my younger days when I was bulking some, I had a friend who was a bodybuilder type, and very good at it. He looked to be a beast and very defined. But I did learn something important from him, and that is that when lifting for appearance only he was almost as strict about avoiding certain specific exercises as he was about doing very specific exercises. Not to say he was unfit at all, but to get that look he intentionally avoided building certain areas to make the other areas more defined. Part of his compromise to get the look he wanted was to avoid working every group the same way to better manipulate his appearance.

And though I don't know nearly as much about it as he did, it makes sense and I've seen it in action myself, both with positive and negative results. As an example, I use the elliptical we have at home for general cardio work, and to build my legs for biking and some running. And it works muscles that biking or running don't seem to use as much. Though it's been great help overall as a training tool, the muscles it works sort of took away some of the definition that was greater in my quads when I was mostly just biking. They actually look smaller, but when I measured they were still bigger.

And for me, well unless my legs look really weird I'll just live with it. Better exercise performance is more important to me. But if I could change the way they look and increase performance I'd probably put some effort into it. But for me, the lesson was that appearance doesn't always reflect on performance. Though we all have some level of wanting to look more fit, that might conflict with our training and performance goals at times.

And at just over 53 years old, I suffer some of the same problem spots as many other guys. I've been spared moobs even at my heaviest weights, but the lower stomach does resist more than any other area. Some people get lucky and things never change, but most of us change with age some IMO.

And I also agree with the others that commented. I would have never thought that your profile photo was attached to a person in our age group. Often we see flaws nobody else would notice. Maybe your mirror is broken? :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bravo for the thread and the knowledge you've accumulated. You are pretty much right in terms of time it takes and the recomp cycling.

...or continued at maintenance and strength train as a long-term recomp. (yes, it takes a long time).

Normally I'd suggest the later because most people do not have the developed lbm to support a large cut. But looking at your profile picture which shows good muscle dev., you might consider a cut down to 15-18% BF(err, not 12% - I know you said you don't want to lose weight) and then a bulk.

I'm going to have to second this. After cutting to a low body fat percentage the body wants to "rebound" and this is great for lean mass gains.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    @gia07

I'm in a similar camp to EvgeniZyntx and others as to few possible ways to change it, but with only one addition.

Back in my younger days when I was bulking some, I had a friend who was a bodybuilder type, and very good at it. He looked to be a beast and very defined. But I did learn something important from him, and that is that when lifting for appearance only he was almost as strict about avoiding certain specific exercises as he was about doing very specific exercises. Not to say he was unfit at all, but to get that look he intentionally avoided building certain areas to make the other areas more defined. Part of his compromise to get the look he wanted was to avoid working every group the same way to better manipulate his appearance.

And though I don't know nearly as much about it as he did, it makes sense and I've seen it in action myself, both with positive and negative results. As an example, I use the elliptical we have at home for general cardio work, and to build my legs for biking and some running. And it works muscles that biking or running don't seem to use as much. Though it's been great help overall as a training tool, the muscles it works sort of took away some of the definition that was greater in my quads when I was mostly just biking. They actually look smaller, but when I measured they were still bigger.

And for me, well unless my legs look really weird I'll just live with it. Better exercise performance is more important to me. But if I could change the way they look and increase performance I'd probably put some effort into it. But for me, the lesson was that appearance doesn't always reflect on performance. Though we all have some level of wanting to look more fit, that might conflict with our training and performance goals at times.

And at just over 53 years old, I suffer some of the same problem spots as many other guys. I've been spared moobs even at my heaviest weights, but the lower stomach does resist more than any other area. Some people get lucky and things never change, but most of us change with age some IMO.

And I also agree with the others that commented. I would have never thought that your profile photo was attached to a person in our age group. Often we see flaws nobody else would notice. Maybe your mirror is broken? :)

So that might explain why all those those guys have chicken legs so that they can look like they are bigger up top. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I'm going to have to second this. After cutting to a low body fat percentage the body wants to "rebound" and this is great for lean mass gains.

Sounds like your P-ratio will be ripe for maximizing LBM gains.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Years ago I thought I was destined to be a pear shape. I gave up wearing shorts when I was in my mid-30's because I hated the cellulite on my thighs. Then I was angry. I decided I could continue to give up or work harder. I chose work harder. I am very fortunate that via a process of going low carb, drastically reducing my cardio and regularly lifting heavy (heavy for me) weights I am now proportionate and wear shorts again. I'm currently 44 and tackled this transition around age 40.

I'm not saying I'm perfect and it does take consistency, but change CAN happen. I really have no magic process or even a timeline, but that's just my personal experience with this topic.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Let me begin by saying that from your photo you look reasonably trim to me.

I'm 5'2, 58, and have never been clinically overweight. I've always stored a disproportionate amount of fat in my butt and after menopause it started being stored in my hips, thighs and butt. My body fat percentage has increased because of age and lack of activity. I'm still well within normal-to-low weight and BMI charts, but parts of me look fat, which is why those charts can only be used as general guides.

I've gone on a couple of recomposition diets (PSMF) that are supposed to target fat, but it is extremely difficult to get rid of it. I also find that doing direct weight resistance on my butt, hips and thighs makes them look bigger so I avoid it, limiting weights to my upper body.

I recommend doing all you can to get your body fat percentage down (20% is good, 16% is awesome, but very difficult for an average, middle-aged woman to attain) before you reach menopause and keeping it that way.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    I'm 53. I've been a pear-shaped human being since the day I was born; heavy thighs above all (and heavy upper arms, oh my god, those upper arms!). One of my biggest regrets in life is hating my body--off and on, through fat and not-fat (can never say "thin" because of my thighs).

I look back at when I was in my teens and hated my thighs. 20's, remembering how much I hated my thighs. Then pics of me in my 30's, and I remember how much I hated my thighs. Then in my 40's, and I hated my thighs.

A few years ago, turning 50 was over the horizon, and I started MFP. Lost a bunch of weight, succeeded, and I swear to God the second I turned 50 I thought to myself what a freaking waste of time it was to hate my thighs or my body. It was one of the most freeing moments I ever had, when I realized I was done with the thigh-hate.

Now, I look like a fairly decent, in-shape 53-year old chick, with chunky, cottage-cheese thighs. And I LOVE these thighs. These lumpy bumpy things have walked me up and down Grand Canyon, they've zoomed me on water skis, they've hiked me up mountains, they can still perform a decent squat and deadlift, and they've taken me to places I will never forget. Thank you, thighs.

I can never have the time back that I spent looking at my thighs in the mirror, condemning them. Cursing my genes, wishing that I had nice, slender thighs. Considering how many people have it so much worse, I will take my thighs any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'm a few years older and I wish I had your attitude, even though I have been mindful that I'm lucky to have been relatively healthy and to have had a body that can do just about everything asked of it. But we live in a culture in which too much value continues to be attributed to a woman's looks. It's real, not just an isolated character flaw. I try to work on both myself and the world at large.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

I'm 5'2, 58, and have never been clinically overweight. I've always stored a disproportionate amount of fat in my butt and after menopause it started being stored in my hips, thighs and butt. My body fat percentage has increased because of age and lack of activity. I'm still well within normal-to-low weight and BMI charts, but parts of me look fat, which is why those charts can only be used as general guides.

I've gone on a couple of recomposition diets (PSMF) that are supposed to target fat, but it is extremely difficult to get rid of it. I also find that doing direct weight resistance on my butt, hips and thighs makes them look bigger so I avoid it, limiting weights to my upper body.

I recommend doing all you can to get your body fat percentage down (20% is good, 16% is awesome, but very difficult for an average, middle-aged woman to attain) before you reach menopause and keeping it that way.

PSMF is a rapid fat loss diet meant to spare as much lean mass as possible. It's not a recomposition diet. It's considered a smarter crash diet. Recomposition is the attempt to maintain body weight while reducing body fat and adding lean mass.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say up front, it's genetics. I don't mean to brag, but I have what I guess few woman have; longer lean legs. I don't know what it's like to struggle with the big butt, thighs, hips etc issues. Kind of wish I did because I am opposite of most women and have the most stubborn and terrible belly fat. My belly sags, a lot. That is the THE thing I thought would get "fixed" after all the workouts and losing 40 lbs. I was wrong. After years of fighting it I've given up and just deal with pushing it all in and hiding my midsection as much as possible because it's lumpy and saggy. I hate to sound like a negative Nancy, but that's the truth, for me at least. I'm happy with my accomplishments and try real hard to eat well and keep my weight where it should be, but I'm not going to lie, I hate my midsection.
  • Verdenal
    edited February 2016
    Options

PSMF is a rapid fat loss diet meant to spare as much lean mass as possible. It's not a recomposition diet. It's considered a smarter crash diet. Recomposition is the attempt to maintain body weight while reducing body fat and adding lean mass.

I disagree. It's usually classed as a method of changing body composition. Lyle McDonald, the author of a very popular PSMF book, has a website. It's titled Body Recomposition. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
  • usmcmp
    Options

I disagree. It's usually classed as a method of changing body composition. Lyle McDonald, the author of a very popular PSMF book, has a website. It's titled Body Recomposition. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

I know who wrote the handbook on PSMF and I know what his site is called. PSMF is a crash diet. The actual name of the book that he wrote on PSMF is called The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook- A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting. It is a crash diet, it is not a recomposition diet.