New to this- how is C25K for those who have used it?

Options
MissGA32
MissGA32 Posts: 17 Member
Hi all!
I have officially decided that this year is a year of no excuses- I am getting back to my pre-college weight and looking to be more toned. I majored in exercise and sport science and now work full time.
I joined a gym at the beginning of this year (paying for it makes me commit more). I average 4-5x a week at the gym whether it's treadmill, weights, or classes.
I have never been a runner nor have I ever enjoyed it. I am trying couch to 5k app and have completed the first week. I would love to hear what people have to comment about this app- is it helpful? Did you see changes? Does it make it easier to run? If you have any other advice about starting out on a "weight loss journey", I am open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I loved it! I've done it twice. The first time I ran a 5K, an 8K, a couple of 10K's and two half marathon's!! Then I got pregnant with baby number 4 and took a loooooong break....Just finished it again about 8 weeks ago. I am averaging about 30-40 miles a month running about 3 times a week.

Literally thought I would die the first time I had to run for 8 minutes!!

I repeated weeks 6 and 7 until I felt I could comfortably move on so it took me longer than the 8 weeks to complete.

It's way worth it in my opinion!

• MissGA32
    Options
    agzram wrote: »
    I loved it! I've done it twice. The first time I ran a 5K, an 8K, a couple of 10K's and two half marathon's!! Then I got pregnant with baby number 4 and took a loooooong break....Just finished it again about 8 weeks ago. I am averaging about 30-40 miles a month running about 3 times a week.

Literally thought I would die the first time I had to run for 8 minutes!!

I repeated weeks 6 and 7 until I felt I could comfortably move on so it took me longer than the 8 weeks to complete.

It's way worth it in my opinion!

Great to hear!! I've only heard good things about it so I'm hoping it will work its magic on me:) hoping to do a 5k,10k, and half marathon all in this year
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have used it twice and progressed well. I look forward to hearing about the 5K a the end of the training!
  • Suzy0902
    Suzy0902 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 3 day 1 today. It's my first time trying the program, and I thought I would die running my first three minute stretch today. But I pushed through and felt great afterwards. I look forward to seeing the progress I can make it each day of the program. I know it will only get harder going forward, but I'll give it my best shot. Good luck to you!
  • Jenna8915
    Jenna8915 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've also done C25K twice... first time, I got to running about 8k with short breaks before giving up over summer. Second time around, I'm able to run 10miles (slowly - it takes me 2 hours!) with no breaks or stops... working towards that half marathon mark! C25K is brilliant, I would never have started running without it :smile:
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I Started C25K last April and ran my first 5K at the end of June. I've never been a runner and always hated cross-country at school, but my sister teased me into starting.

When I started I could barely run for 2 minutes without getting out of breath and I'm now gearing up to run my first 10K (after a lot of heel niggles)! I used the Zombies Run! training app and bought the full app once I 'graduated' so I could continue progress.

I loved the structure of the 5K programme and would recommend anyone try it. A few words of advice:
    1. Don't worry if you have to repeat a week (or more) - progress at your own pace.
    2. Run as slow as you can - don't worry that snails pass you. The purpose of the programme is to adapt you to running. Pace can come later. Concentrate on building the length of time you can comfortably run. A good rule of thumb is, if you can't hold a conversation, you're running too fast.
    3. Get a good sports bra and good running shoes. One will save your back, the other will save your legs (and ankles...)
    4. If you can, book yourself into a 5K race - it gives you something to aim for and any motivation is good.
    5. Don't run on consecutive days - give yourself time to heal up between sessions.
    6. Very good luck!
  • jesskahh87
    jesskahh87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it. I'm a big girl (working on not being one) and I did this at the end of summer. I downloaded the app randomly one day and the next decided to try it. I absolutely loved it. Signing up for a 5k definitely kept me motivated and now I run all the time. It was a lot easier for me to run on a treadmill than outside. Good luck!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    C25K is the reason why I now run three miles just because. Fact: i have always hated running and now I look forward to it and it is all thanks to c25k
  • Ncasey3
    Ncasey3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    C25k is wonderful! I used it last year to prepare for my first 5k. I lost 25 lbs in 4 months and ran my 5k in about 34 minutes. Love it!
  • MissGA32
    Options
    I have used it twice and progressed well. I look forward to hearing about the 5K a the end of the training!

Thank you! So far it's been so good... Signing up for a 5k for my birthday (first weekend of April)!
  • MissGA32
    Options
    Suzy0902 wrote: »
    I just completed Week 3 day 1 today. It's my first time trying the program, and I thought I would die running my first three minute stretch today. But I pushed through and felt great afterwards. I look forward to seeing the progress I can make it each day of the program. I know it will only get harder going forward, but I'll give it my best shot. Good luck to you!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well
  • MissGA32
    Options
    hmaddpear wrote: »
    I Started C25K last April and ran my first 5K at the end of June. I've never been a runner and always hated cross-country at school, but my sister teased me into starting.

When I started I could barely run for 2 minutes without getting out of breath and I'm now gearing up to run my first 10K (after a lot of heel niggles)! I used the Zombies Run! training app and bought the full app once I 'graduated' so I could continue progress.

I loved the structure of the 5K programme and would recommend anyone try it. A few words of advice:
    1. Don't worry if you have to repeat a week (or more) - progress at your own pace.
    2. Run as slow as you can - don't worry that snails pass you. The purpose of the programme is to adapt you to running. Pace can come later. Concentrate on building the length of time you can comfortably run. A good rule of thumb is, if you can't hold a conversation, you're running too fast.
    3. Get a good sports bra and good running shoes. One will save your back, the other will save your legs (and ankles...)
    4. If you can, book yourself into a 5K race - it gives you something to aim for and any motivation is good.
    5. Don't run on consecutive days - give yourself time to heal up between sessions.
    6. Very good luck!

All great advice! I will definitely take all of it into consideration... Already bought better running shoes due to shin splints and try to take a break from running in between days. Thanks for the advice!
  • MissGA32
    Options
    jesskahh87 wrote: »
    I absolutely love it. I'm a big girl (working on not being one) and I did this at the end of summer. I downloaded the app randomly one day and the next decided to try it. I absolutely loved it. Signing up for a 5k definitely kept me motivated and now I run all the time. It was a lot easier for me to run on a treadmill than outside. Good luck!

Great to hear.... I would love to "enjoy" running so hence why I'm trying it out:) thanks for sharing your experience
  • MissGA32
    Options

Ncasey3 wrote: »
    C25k is wonderful! I used it last year to prepare for my first 5k. I lost 25 lbs in 4 months and ran my 5k in about 34 minutes. Love it!

Amazing! 25lbs in 4 months is my goal as well so glad to hear it worked for you!
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am using C25K right now. I came to a little bit of a halt when I hit Week 3 (3 minutes of running straight was REALLY tough for me) and did 3 weeks of Week 3 before moving on to Week 4. Today was Week 4, Day 1 and I completed it! 5 minutes of jogging was really tough but I powered through. I read through a similar thread sometime last week and the biggest piece of advice I took from it was "don't be afraid of a slow pace". I was running my Week 3 intervals at 5.5 mph and walking at 3.5 but the last 2 days of Week 3 I slowed it down to 5.0 and upped the walking to 3.8. This morning, I ran my first interval at 5 mph and realized that was too fast for me to run 5 minutes at that pace. I slowed it to 4.8 mph and walked at 3.8mph. I was dripping sweat but I can tell you I don't think I've ever felt so accomplished! I've never been a runner so running 5 minutes straight (although it might not seem like a lot) was a big step for me. I will probably have to repeat Week 4 once or twice but that's okay because it's all about the progress!! I'm signed up for an 8k on March 12, but have no aspirations to run the entire thing. As long as I can complete it in a hour's time I'll be happy! In the mean time I am just going to keep pushing through and progressing, even if it is a bit slower than the program intends!

Good luck with the program and happy running!!!!
  • elmolina_03
    elmolina_03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is this an app?
  • bugzbrown
    bugzbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A word of caution to all doing any activity.
    I used the app a while ago... I was considerably overweight and out of shape... I was what could be called a couch potato. Mind you, I was once quite an athlete in the past, but not so much for the last decade...
    I followed the app precisely and was getting quite a few good results when I was faced with a knee injury due to the fact that I was overweight and weak muscles.
    I am not saying the program is bad, I actually think it is good, but be careful when you are literally going from the couch 2 5k... take it with a drop of caution and attention... any sign of pain or discomfort should be treated seriously.
    The upside? Since I could not run due to the impact on my knee, my doctor suggested I take up light cycling to strengthen my muscles... now I am an addicted biker... :)
  • MissGA32
    Options
    RaeB1013 wrote: »
    I am using C25K right now. I came to a little bit of a halt when I hit Week 3 (3 minutes of running straight was REALLY tough for me) and did 3 weeks of Week 3 before moving on to Week 4. Today was Week 4, Day 1 and I completed it! 5 minutes of jogging was really tough but I powered through. I read through a similar thread sometime last week and the biggest piece of advice I took from it was "don't be afraid of a slow pace". I was running my Week 3 intervals at 5.5 mph and walking at 3.5 but the last 2 days of Week 3 I slowed it down to 5.0 and upped the walking to 3.8. This morning, I ran my first interval at 5 mph and realized that was too fast for me to run 5 minutes at that pace. I slowed it to 4.8 mph and walked at 3.8mph. I was dripping sweat but I can tell you I don't think I've ever felt so accomplished! I've never been a runner so running 5 minutes straight (although it might not seem like a lot) was a big step for me. I will probably have to repeat Week 4 once or twice but that's okay because it's all about the progress!! I'm signed up for an 8k on March 12, but have no aspirations to run the entire thing. As long as I can complete it in a hour's time I'll be happy! In the mean time I am just going to keep pushing through and progressing, even if it is a bit slower than the program intends!

Good luck with the program and happy running!!!!

This is amazing and I can totally relate! I just finished week 3 and when I'm running, I usually try to run around 6mph and walk at 3.9 or 4.0. I'm actually taking a break for w week or so due to injury on my shin bone I believe was caused from running too much too soon. But I am planning on gradually getting back into it once my leg feels better. Good luck to you and you will do amazing on the 8k whether it's walking or running!!
  • MissGA32
    Options
    Is this an app?
    Yes- couch to 5k is the full name and it's an app designed to help you "gradually" get into running. The idea is great but I also think that each person varies in how gradual the running should increase each week so I think it's good for some and maybe too much for others
  • MissGA32
    Options
    bugzbrown wrote: »
    A word of caution to all doing any activity.
    I used the app a while ago... I was considerably overweight and out of shape... I was what could be called a couch potato. Mind you, I was once quite an athlete in the past, but not so much for the last decade...
    I followed the app precisely and was getting quite a few good results when I was faced with a knee injury due to the fact that I was overweight and weak muscles.
    I am not saying the program is bad, I actually think it is good, but be careful when you are literally going from the couch 2 5k... take it with a drop of caution and attention... any sign of pain or discomfort should be treated seriously.
    The upside? Since I could not run due to the impact on my knee, my doctor suggested I take up light cycling to strengthen my muscles... now I am an addicted biker... :)

So glad to hear this advice because I was getting horrible shin splints and now have a stress fracture on the bone..... So now I'm completely done running until I heel. Definitely will make the running more gradual than what I was doing once I get back into it. I have the stamina but not strong enough bones for how tough the treadmill is on my legs. I'm thinking spinning or elliptical will have to do in the meantime:) thanks again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!