I know they say you shouldn't lose weight too fast BUT, I really want to lose 4lbs a week

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok...so say your tdee is 2400, which is an approximation based on you having 100lbs to lose and being female.

I was once 5'5" with 90lbs to lose and that was my tdee.....going off that....

You need a 2000 calorie deficit EACH day to lose 4lbs a week.

Can you surivive, without becoming malnourished, on 400 caloriea a day? NO. Not only will you open yourself up for hair loss, saggy wrinkly skin, brittle nails, weak teeth, lowered imune function and sallow skin.....but it will be VERY VERY hard to eat only 400 cals a day, every day.

I am now 14 months into this diet, and 19# from my goal weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are lucky enough to be around 400-450 pounds, you may be able to sustain that rate of loss for a while. But as you get down into the 300s, 1% of your body weight per week will decrease.

Best of luck to you, OP.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Spring break trip?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Have fun losing muscle mass, some fat mass, hormonal issues, nutrient deprivation, starvation, crashed metabolism, grogginess, irratability, moodiness, insomnia....the list could go on and on
    Indeed.
    Is the above as well as losing your hair worth it?
    Hint: it isn't,
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I know they say I shouldn't spend my rent money on ice cream, but I just really want some Ben & Jerry's.

"They say" not to aim for such a quick rate of loss for good reason. What could possibly be happening in 12 weeks that's more important than protecting your health? If you insist on going forward like this, at least get on a doctor supervised plan so they can try and catch the major problems before they become major problems. Otherwise, I'm afraid you may have to put up with a slower rate of loss like the rest of us plebes.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just to echo what everyone has said; even if you do manage to lose 4 lbs a week, you WILL regain it all back and probably more when you reintroduce normal amounts of food into your metabolism. You also won't be ready to deal with the sustainability that comes with a healthy lifestyle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    good luck with that....
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the Biggest Loser show...I think it is awesome people lose 1-2 lbs a week which is healthy but TBLs act like that is hardly a weight loss. 1-2 lbs a week is attainable...you lose faster than that likely you will gain it back and then some. IF you set up unrealistic expectations and don't lose 4 lbs a week you might end up frustrated, sick and quit.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Your job is advocating this??? Most places go by highest percentage. I wouldn't even participate.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, losing 4lb per week is both difficult and harmful.
    I also have 100 to lose and my goal is to lose 1/2 lb per week. My daily calorie budget is so high that I've been in calorie deficit every day this week and have lost 2.4 lb since Monday.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would say that I'm eating around 1400-1600 calories a day (with Saturday being a deliberately higher calorie dinner so I come in around 2000-2200 for the day) and have lost 18.5lbs since the beginning of January. I was 264 now I'm 246. I'm assuming that the rapid weight loss is water weight, cutting out alcohol, a reasonable amount of exercise and eating sensibly. It'll even out to 2lbs a week eventually (as I'm planning to lose) I'm sure. So is it a bad idea to deliberately do it- yep! But it might happen by happy accident, who knows!
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    laney4088 wrote: »
    I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.

Have you tried being a contestant on "The Biggest Loser"? And from what I read their" weekly " weigh in is more like 10 to 20+ days
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OP that is medically supervised VLCD territory.

And it isn't fun. Even working with a doc you will have side effects...hair thinning is pretty much universal. To take that on there has to be a better reason than just wanting to look cute.

Take it from someone who has done it. I was 100 pounds from being at a normal BMI at the time. I lost 30 pounds month one, then another 30 over the next two months. Once you hit a certain target where your body can't pull as much from fat your daily calories get bumped up and the weight loss slows down.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    What happens in exactly 12 weeks? sigh

At 4 pounds a week loss, I'm fearing the answer would be things like nutritional deficiency, illness, hospitalization, depleted strength, fatigue, and lots of very flappy loose skin.

OP, please don't. Please stay at a loss rate, like 1% bodyweight per week approximately, that will keep you healthy and strong. According to your profile, you're 53 years old, and have a family . . . stay strong and healthy for them, if not for yourself.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It can be very unhealthy to drop your calories too low. But in addition to that, your body may simply not be able to burn enough calories to accomplish this. Ignoring the health/crisis concerns you would need a deficit of 2000/day. Can you burn 3500-4000 per day? Probably not.

And I believe the recommended safe guideline is 1% or 2 pounds, whichever is more. So if you're heavy enough, you may be able to do 2.5-3 pounds for a while.
    I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Wow OP I clicked on your profile, you are 53 years old! I though this was a teenager writing this post. Such an entitles world we live in. Over eat, get fat, get obese, then decide you want the weight gone and because you want it, it has to happen asap. Ugh, terrible mentality.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Wow OP I clicked on your profile, you are 53 years old! I though this was a teenager writing this post. Such an entitles world we live in. Over eat, get fat, get obese, then decide you want the weight gone and because you want it, it has to happen asap. Ugh, terrible mentality.

For a bit of balance, I'm 55. Over my adult lifespan I figured I was eating 100 calories over maintenance daily. Yes, I was over-eating, but not by a gluttonous amount. Any dieter could do it by measuring carelessly.

I also remember when I was ready to lose the weight, I wanted it gone NOW. I was done with being overweight. The patience came later, after I started to experience real success. Which took about three months by the way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow....just wow
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You probably aren't going to do this without the help of a weight loss clinic. If you really want it to happen you will likely need drugs or surgery and regular monitoring by a doctor.

And be prepared. You won't come out of it looking fit and healthy. You'll likely have a lot of loose skin, very poor muscle tone and possibly lose some hair. So don't go in thinking you'll come out bikini ready in 12 weeks.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are lucky enough to be around 400-450 pounds, you may be able to sustain that rate of loss for a while. But as you get down into the 300s, 1% of your body weight per week will decrease.

Best of luck to you, OP.

I was thinking the same thing. Those 600pounders can lose like 40 pounds in a month to qualify for the gastric bypass surgery.

This discussion has been closed.