I know they say you shouldn't lose weight too fast BUT, I really want to lose 4lbs a week

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    I would be worried about loose skin caused by losing weight that fast...

Not to mention hair loss.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »
    Wow OP I clicked on your profile, you are 53 years old! I though this was a teenager writing this post. Such an entitled world we live in. Over eat, get fat, get obese, then decide you want the weight gone and because you want it, it has to happen asap. Ugh, terrible mentality.

For a bit of balance, I'm 55. Over my adult lifespan I figured I was eating 100 calories over maintenance daily. Yes, I was over-eating, but not by a gluttonous amount. Any dieter could do it by measuring carelessly.

I also remember when I was ready to lose the weight, I wanted it gone NOW. I was done with being overweight. The patience came later, after I started to experience real success. Which took about three months by the way.

There have been a lot of these "I want to lose weight really fast" and "how can I lose 4 lbs a week?" etc type threads. It's annoying, it's Friday, I get it and of course the OP(s) ask the question and then never comes back to their posts.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I REALLY WANT to make $100,000 a week at my job.

Unfortunately, sometimes we want things that just aren't going to happen.

I want to make ten times that for not even going to work.
  • janjunie
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I want someone to pay me for having to wake up early, get my kids off to school, cook, clean, workout and just plain existing. lol.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I want someone to pay me for having to wake up early, get my kids off to school, cook, clean, workout and just plain existing. lol.

I don't want anyone to pay me (taxes). I just want a giant pile of money to magically appear in my basement.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I want to get that much for just waking up everyday.

Still not gonna happen.
  • janjunie
    Options

I don't want anyone to pay me (taxes). I just want a giant pile of money to magically appear in my basement.

I would be OK with that too :)
  • janjunie
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Still not gonna happen.

I know, ugh reality sucks sometimes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Miss Hilton didn't want to go to college; she wanted to be famous. And because her daddy had a lot of money and wanted to give her everything she would ever want, he got her a publicist. She got what she wanted. Maybe not what she intended. She may not know, even yet, what's she's missing.
  • janjunie
    Options
    Miss Hilton didn't want to go to college; she wanted to be famous. And because her daddy had a lot of money and wanted to give her everything she would ever want, he got her a publicist. She got what she wanted. Maybe not what she intended. She may not know, even yet, what's she's missing.

Miss Hilton is what people here would refer to as a special snowflake.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Realistically, you will not be able to cut the much fat a week. General rule of thumb is 1% body mass a month.

Did you mean week?
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't rush it. It isn't good for your healthy, it isn't good for the long haul and when you lose weight to quickly you're very very likely to get loose saggy skin, which can't always be fixed with diet and exercise. Lose the 2lbs a week and be happy :) thats a great accomplishment in itself.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    Realistically, you will not be able to cut the much fat a week. General rule of thumb is 1% body mass a month.

Did you mean week?

Nope.. but the more over fat you are, you can go slightly above that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Biggest Loser show...I think it is awesome people lose 1-2 lbs a week which is healthy but TBLs act like that is hardly a weight loss. 1-2 lbs a week is attainable...you lose faster than that likely you will gain it back and then some. IF you set up unrealistic expectations and don't lose 4 lbs a week you might end up frustrated, sick and quit.

bisky - this is almost exactly what I was thinking. I have several friends "irl" who love TV shows like TBL and believe 6 lb/week is necessary when losing 100+ and even when I tell them that I lost 1/3 to 1 lb (rarely over 1 lb) per week for the entire time & I lost over 100 total, they still adhere to the standards they learn from TBL and similar programs, instead. Several of them completely gave up MFP after they "lost 7 lb the first week and only 1 lb the second week..."

I don't have anything to add for the OP because everyone's giving them a lot of truth and wisdom here...but I do think some of the snarky, angry tones are kind of unnecessary. There are MANY people who simply do not get it, or do not believe that 4-5 lb (or more) per week is unreasonable, even though it's CRAZY! Sensational TV shows and diet plans want everyone to believe that they can drop 50 lb in eight weeks and such...
  • laney4088
    laney4088 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was just asking about this. I'm not stupid and was looking for information to get healthy and lose weight. Not a bunch of mean remarks. I will not post again. Yes I'm 53 and have been using MFP for 3 weeks and have lost 7 lbs so far. I didn't mean to make you all mad and I am working hard at this. Having people say mean things really hurts a persons feeling. Sorry
  • laney4088
    Options
    I know they say you shouldn't lose weight too fast BUT, I really want to lose 4lbs a week

« 1 2 »
    Go
    harrybananasharrybananas January 29, 2016 2:14PM
    tincanonastringtincanonastring
    January 29, 2016 2:21PM
    harrybananas wrote: »
    You can do it. 3500 calories is a pound. And you want to lose 4 lbs a week so all you need to do is be in a 14,000 calorie deficit per week average.

Op, don't be talked out of it. If this is something you really want, then go for it. We all have our own goals and this is yours.

You'll lose 100lbs in 6 weeks!!

nonsense.gif
    JeromeBarry1JeromeBarry1
    January 29, 2016 2:32PM
    As others have pointed out, losing 4lb per week is both difficult and harmful.
    I also have 100 to lose and my goal is to lose 1/2 lb per week. My daily calorie budget is so high that I've been in calorie deficit every day this week and have lost 2.4 lb since Monday.
    jmgj27jmgj27
    January 29, 2016 2:40PM
    I would say that I'm eating around 1400-1600 calories a day (with Saturday being a deliberately higher calorie dinner so I come in around 2000-2200 for the day) and have lost 18.5lbs since the beginning of January. I was 264 now I'm 246. I'm assuming that the rapid weight loss is water weight, cutting out alcohol, a reasonable amount of exercise and eating sensibly. It'll even out to 2lbs a week eventually (as I'm planning to lose) I'm sure. So is it a bad idea to deliberately do it- yep! But it might happen by happy accident, who knows!
    joinn68joinn68
    January 29, 2016 2:58PM
    laney4088 wrote: »
    I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.

Have you tried being a contestant on "The Biggest Loser"? And from what I read their" weekly " weigh in is more like 10 to 20+ days
    ilex70ilex70
    January 29, 2016 3:10PM
    OP that is medically supervised VLCD territory.

And it isn't fun. Even working with a doc you will have side effects...hair thinning is pretty much universal. To take that on there has to be a better reason than just wanting to look cute.

Take it from someone who has done it. I was 100 pounds from being at a normal BMI at the time. I lost 30 pounds month one, then another 30 over the next two months. Once you hit a certain target where your body can't pull as much from fat your daily calories get bumped up and the weight loss slows down.
    AnnPT77AnnPT77
    January 29, 2016 3:11PM
    gia07 wrote: »
    What happens in exactly 12 weeks? sigh

At 4 pounds a week loss, I'm fearing the answer would be things like nutritional deficiency, illness, hospitalization, depleted strength, fatigue, and lots of very flappy loose skin.

OP, please don't. Please stay at a loss rate, like 1% bodyweight per week approximately, that will keep you healthy and strong. According to your profile, you're 53 years old, and have a family . . . stay strong and healthy for them, if not for yourself.
    StaciMarie1974StaciMarie1974
    January 29, 2016 3:15PM
    It can be very unhealthy to drop your calories too low. But in addition to that, your body may simply not be able to burn enough calories to accomplish this. Ignoring the health/crisis concerns you would need a deficit of 2000/day. Can you burn 3500-4000 per day? Probably not.

And I believe the recommended safe guideline is 1% or 2 pounds, whichever is more. So if you're heavy enough, you may be able to do 2.5-3 pounds for a while.
    I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.

janjuniejanjunie
    January 29, 2016 3:18PM
    Wow OP I clicked on your profile, you are 53 years old! I though this was a teenager writing this post. Such an entitles world we live in. Over eat, get fat, get obese, then decide you want the weight gone and because you want it, it has to happen asap. Ugh, terrible mentality.
    jgnatcajgnatca
    January 29, 2016 3:23PM edited 3:24PM
    Wow OP I clicked on your profile, you are 53 years old! I though this was a teenager writing this post. Such an entitles world we live in. Over eat, get fat, get obese, then decide you want the weight gone and because you want it, it has to happen asap. Ugh, terrible mentality.

For a bit of balance, I'm 55. Over my adult lifespan I figured I was eating 100 calories over maintenance daily. Yes, I was over-eating, but not by a gluttonous amount. Any dieter could do it by measuring carelessly.

I also remember when I was ready to lose the weight, I wanted it gone NOW. I was done with being overweight. The patience came later, after I started to experience real success. Which took about three months by the way.
    Liftng4LisLiftng4Lis
    January 29, 2016 3:25PM
    Wow....just wow
    Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se
    January 29, 2016 3:30PM

You probably aren't going to do this without the help of a weight loss clinic. If you really want it to happen you will likely need drugs or surgery and regular monitoring by a doctor.

And be prepared. You won't come out of it looking fit and healthy. You'll likely have a lot of loose skin, very poor muscle tone and possibly lose some hair. So don't go in thinking you'll come out bikini ready in 12 weeks.
    Mavrick_RNMavrick_RN
    January 29, 2016 3:32PM
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are lucky enough to be around 400-450 pounds, you may be able to sustain that rate of loss for a while. But as you get down into the 300s, 1% of your body weight per week will decrease.

Best of luck to you, OP.

I was thinking the same thing. Those 600pounders can lose like 40 pounds in a month to qualify for the gastric bypass surgery.

kshama2001kshama2001
    January 29, 2016 3:36PM
    HappyAnna2014 wrote: »
    I would be worried about loose skin caused by losing weight that fast...

Not to mention hair loss.
    janjuniejanjunie
    January 29, 2016 3:38PM
    » show previous quotes

There have been a lot of these "I want to lose weight really fast" and "how can I lose 4 lbs a week?" etc type threads. It's annoying, it's Friday, I get it and of course the OP(s) ask the question and then never comes back to their posts.
    Carlos_421Carlos_421
    January 29, 2016 3:43PM
    juggernaut1974 wrote: »

janjuniejanjunie
    January 29, 2016 3:46PM
    » show previous quotes

tincanonastringtincanonastring
    January 29, 2016 3:47PM
    » show previous quotes

NinkyouNinkyou
    January 29, 2016 3:52PM
    » show previous quotes

Still not gonna happen.
    janjuniejanjunie
    January 29, 2016 3:54PM
    tincanonastring wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

I would be OK with that too :)
    janjuniejanjunie
    January 29, 2016 3:55PM
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Still not gonna happen.

I know, ugh reality sucks sometimes.
    jgnatcajgnatca
    January 29, 2016 3:55PM
    janjuniejanjunie
    January 29, 2016 3:57PM

Miss Hilton is what people here would refer to as a special snowflake.
    ryry62685ryry62685
    January 29, 2016 3:59PM

Did you mean week?
    xXxWhitneyxXxxXxWhitneyxXx
    January 29, 2016 4:00PM
    Don't rush it. It isn't good for your healthy, it isn't good for the long haul and when you lose weight to quickly you're very very likely to get loose saggy skin, which can't always be fixed with diet and exercise. Lose the 2lbs a week and be happy :) thats a great accomplishment in itself.
    psulemonpsulemon
    January 29, 2016 5:36PM
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Did you mean week?

Nope.. but the more over fat you are, you can go slightly above that.
    seltzermint555seltzermint555
    January 29, 2016 8:10PM edited 8:11PM
    bisky wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Biggest Loser show...I think it is awesome people lose 1-2 lbs a week which is healthy but TBLs act like that is hardly a weight loss. 1-2 lbs a week is attainable...you lose faster than that likely you will gain it back and then some. IF you set up unrealistic expectations and don't lose 4 lbs a week you might end up frustrated, sick and quit.

bisky - this is almost exactly what I was thinking. I have several friends "irl" who love TV shows like TBL and believe 6 lb/week is necessary when losing 100+ and even when I tell them that I lost 1/3 to 1 lb (rarely over 1 lb) per week for the entire time & I lost over 100 total, they still adhere to the standards they learn from TBL and similar programs, instead. Several of them completely gave up MFP after they "lost 7 lb the first week and only 1 lb the second week..."

I don't have anything to add for the OP because everyone's giving them a lot of truth and wisdom here...but I do think some of the snarky, angry tones are kind of unnecessary. There are MANY people who simply do not get it, or do not believe that 4-5 lb (or more) per week is unreasonable, even though it's CRAZY! Sensational TV shows and diet plans want everyone to believe that they can drop 50 lb in eight weeks and such...
    laney4088laney4088
    January 29, 2016 9:18PM
    I was just asking about this. I'm not stupid and was looking for information to get healthy and lose weight. Not a bunch of mean remarks. I will not post again. Yes I'm 53 and have been using MFP for 3 weeks and have lost 7 lbs so far. I didn't mean to make you all mad and I am working hard at this. Having people say mean things really hurts a persons feeling. Sorry
    « 1 2 »
    Go

You can use BBCode in your post.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    What mean things?
  • laney4088
    Options
    What do you mean
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You came in here saying that you "knew" you shouldn't lose weight too fast but you want to do something totally unhealthy ANYWAY and now you're upset that people called you on it?!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    What do you mean

I mean, what mean things did people say? Point them out. I saw a lot of people tell you that your goal is unrealistic, but that's not being mean.
This discussion has been closed.