Weight Loss Surgery in Mexico?

Options
Hello,
my insurance does not pay for Weight Loss Surgery, so I am contemplating to pay myself. After spending a lot of time on obesityhelp.com I have the feeling that I will get a good surgery for half the price in Mexico?

Has one of you been to Mexico for surgery?
Which doctor did you use?

Thanks for input!

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    There could be complications and you will need a lot of nutrition support and ongoing medical care. Many people have gall bladder problems or lose hair after the fast weight loss and nutrition issues. Instead, could you pay for the services of a dietician? A personal trainer?
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Your insurance company might not pay for complications that arise from a surgery they didn't pay for. Be careful. Ask questions.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have spent much of my life living in Latin America. I speak Spanish as well as I speak English and am familiar with the culture(s). My mother is a physician who has done a lot of charity work in the region.

I would never have surgery in that part of the world unless it was a life-or-death situation and there was no way to get to a developed country. Honestly, I would never even go to a hospital anywhere in Latin America unless taken there unconscious.

Standard of care is VERY different, for some reasons having to do with technology and others having to do with culture.

It's really a very bad idea.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it! I have been hearing about medical tourism horrors. Please consider alternatives or do research about another insurance or see what your insurance would cover. Maybe your doctor can let the insurance company know if it's for extreme obesity . Call your insurance .
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I'm surprised that Canadian health care doesn't allow you to do this or provide some other kind of medical support for weight loss.

Why are you not willing to lose weight the old-fashioned way?
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just gonna leave this here ...
    http://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/update-weight-loss-surgeon-accused-botched-surgeries

"An example of what could happen to a patient is highlighted by the story last year of patient David Rush who had weight loss surgery performed by Dr. Almanza only to remember feeling sick moments after surgery and then waking up to find himself in a San Diego hospital.

According to the nurses at the hospital, he had been dropped off either unconscious or incoherent at the U.S./Mexico border where officers called an ambulance for emergency transport to a U.S. hospital. Fortunately, he survived what was reportedly a life-threatening infection resulting from the weight loss surgery."
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Surgery carries risk. ALL surgeries. It's the nature of it.

Do you really think it's a good idea to have surgery in another country? Particularly, as someone mentioned, when you should have follow-up care? What if there are complications once you come back? I've never heard anything positive about medical care in Mexico. (In all fairness, I've never heard much about it at all. But, I have heard positive things about medical care in some European countries.)

If you really think about it, does it seem like a good idea to you? I can't fathom not committing to counting calories to lose weight, but being willing to go to another country for surgery. I think that's a very extreme step, and something you need to consider very carefully.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I love that show Botched. Many of the people who end up on that show started out with surgery in Mexico. I had a VSG in 2012 & am definitely not against WLS like many you will hear from on MFP, but I would not have the surgery in another country.

Aside from the very real dangers of the surgery itself, part of being successful is learning to eat properly, getting your blood work monitored for nutrition, having someone you can call when you have a question or a problem. They don't just cut out your stomach & set you loose. You wouldn't have that support team nearby to help you. Before I had my surgery, I met with a nutritionist for 6 months to talk about portions & what I would need to be eating. I don't see how you would be able to get the proper education if you flew into another country for surgery. I don't think that getting a packet of papers & being sent home would be the same. You have to learn how to use the tool in order for it to be successful & it can be a hard adjustment.

I completely understand the struggle to pay for it. After I lost so much weight, I started looking into plastic surgery which is self-pay. There are specific credit cards that are for medical expenses--have you looked at those? They have really horrible terms, but I would rather pay more & have a safer surgery.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Before you consider WLS anywhere, consider that it is not the quick fix and unless you drastically change your eating habits the weight can and will come back on. WLS is not without risks. I would say ask my friend but unfortunately she passed away on the operating table. I have not looked at your profile, but if that is you in the photo, I don't see why you would consider. It doesn't look like you are overweight that much. A suggestion. Since you are going to need to change your eating habits anyway, why don't you give MFP 6 mo where you commit to learning how to weigh all of your food accurately and log it. Use this site to its fullest, look at some for the success stories of people who did it without surgery. I myself am a work in progress but have lost 60 lbs with the rest coming off this year. (WLS was suggested to me but I chose not to) Try out some new recipes, there are plenty of websites that include nutrition information as long as you weigh and log your food you can learn to stay within your calorie goal. There are a lot of supportive people here, make it a habit to check it. Remember! If you have surgery or not, this lifestyle change will need to be part of your plan so you might as well start now. The only thing you would need to invest in if you don't already have it is a good digital food scale (about $20). Please consider my suggestion.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Without even getting into the concerns I have about different standards of care, I'm going to say this: it's a terrible idea. Weight loss surgery is not a one day event. It takes lots of time for a surgeon to evaluate your level of health prior to agreeing to surgery (and if they don't id be concerned), a decent recovery and then very important medications and follow up care that should be consistent from the same provider. I can't fathom you're planning on spending that much time off of work and in a foreign country to make that work.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    No way. I wouldn't do it. Have you watched the show Botched. They have people that have had surgery in Mexico and it was a mess. One lady was not even given a anesthetic to numb her, they numbed her with ice.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat less instead?
  • kristengregson43
    kristengregson43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that Canadian health care doesn't allow you to do this or provide some other kind of medical support for weight loss.

Clarification Canadian health care does cover this surgery only to people who qualify for it. Of course there is a waiting list, and you have to lose at least 50 lbs to show intiative to the bariatric surgeon to be put on this list. Being an RN I have heard people getting very frustrated with this process going to Mexico having surgery and getting sick/ an infection. Of course this is one sided as I don't see the people that don't need our help following coming home and such.

• kristengregson43
    kristengregson43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All I can say is if you've made up your mind already and are going to do it please please please do your research on the facility and even try and contact others who have had surgery there..best case scenario the same surgery and you can get some tips/knowledge/clarification of your journey before you begin, I'm sure it would be worth it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Save your money. If you're large enough to think you need WLS, why not lose the weight by diet and exercise and pay 1/10th the cost of WLS to get any loose skin dealt with? Seriously, your alternative is to shell out a bunch of money for WLS and then have to shell out more if you end up with loose skin. If you don't think you'll end up with loose skin, then you aren't overweight enough to need WLS.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I see in your profile that you are in Ontario. Have you attempted to be referred to the Ontario Bariatric Network for publicly funded bariatric surgery? Ontario has directed resources to delivering a standard program and redce wait times, and the provincial wait time is currently 89 days. You live in a city with a regional centre that provides before and after surgery support, and even going to Thunder Bay for the surgery is a whole lot closer than Mexico.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

Clarification Canadian health care does cover this surgery only to people who qualify for it. Of course there is a waiting list, and you have to lose at least 50 lbs to show intiative to the bariatric surgeon to be put on this list. Being an RN I have heard people getting very frustrated with this process going to Mexico having surgery and getting sick/ an infection. Of course this is one sided as I don't see the people that don't need our help following coming home and such.

Interesting--thank you for the clarification.

It seems like once someone has figured out how to lose 50 pounds, that person probably has the tools to go ahead and lose 100 pounds.
  • datchka
    datchka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow people sure are being harsh. There are plenty of facilities in Mexico that are run extremely well, clean, helpful, amazing. The doctors are lovely and wonderful at their job.
    I had WLS first in the U.S. under health insurance but am now temporarily living in Mexico with family. Due to circumstances I decided to have a second WLS surgery but here in Mexico. I had a very good experience, one of my doctors was so lovely she hugged me several times and we both said we loved each other! I get emailed with instructions and information to help me know what to take and eat and do. I'm to email them blood sample draws every 3 months so they can monitor I'm getting all my nutrients and vitamins. They took great care of me and so far this surgery has felt far easier to recover than my first. I never felt any pain!! There were around 3-4 other people (all Mexicans btw so it's trusted locally) getting various WLS at the time.

For me the major downside is you can get it done at such a rush and without knowing much information and how to treat yourself. Luckily from the first time, in the U.S., they made me take classes and they're better at making 100% sure you know what you're doing and expecting before letting you have it. In Mexico you can just do it and not find out about some stuff till after. Don't just do it without a ton of research, this is a huge decision that will affect the rest of your life and some people can't handle that.

So in the end, I'm not saying "yes go do it"... I just wanted to say Mexico can be an option if it's researched well. Go to WLS forums, they talk about good doctors.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    This is your life so if you need surgery only pay fir the best keep saving until you can pay for a top surgeon TGEN whilst your saving stick to mfp calories and you'll be slimmer when you have the op
    Tbh a gastric weightloss op diet is the same as counting calories I've know several people have surgery
    Bands that don't work that slip or cut through the wall of the stomach or food sits I digested in a part of the op then rots
    To someone having a bypass and becoming very ill that they are in daily pain to a women dying of complications 6 months after
    I've seriously considered surgery I'm not huge but years yoyoing has mentally drained me my goal lose weight quick is my downfall
    Join FB weightloss surgery groups these people are writing what's happening and they all say you have to work with the operations you still have to count calories exercise as you can still consume too many calories some turn to alcohol others chocolate easy comfort things that don't fill you up
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    SMH. Eat less and/or move more, that's what it takes, with or without surgery. Have you made a true effort to do that? If so, what are your obstacles? Chances are that those obstacles will be there also after surgery, and then you have the risks of the surgery iself, healing afterwards, and malnutrition and never being able to eat a normal meal again. Are you so desperate that you, in addition to this, will PAY to have major surgery in another country, where the staff may not speak your language and hygiene may be questionable?