Saving Calories for One Big Meal?

Options
So friday nights are pizza nights at my house and I normally just go over on these days, because it's the one day I splurge, but today I want to see if I can still eat what I want and stay under my calories.

Is it ok to just to skip lunch and just eat a ton for dinner? Does anyone else do this? haha

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Most people will probably say you shouldn't, but, if it's not an every day thing I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I tend to do this on Saturdays sometimes.
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    I'm no doctor but it's better if you don't eat all your calories at once but I don't think it will really affect you if you eat them all at once. Just try to stay under your intake and I think you'll be fine. Everyone needs a break once in a while.
  • Macy_R
    Macy_R Posts: 91
    Options
    Ok thanks, I just know it's bad to skip breakfast, I hadn't ever heard anything about lunch! haha
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Most people will probably say you shouldn't, but, if it's not an every day thing I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I tend to do this on Saturdays sometimes.
    Right and wrong.

OP you can do this even if it is an everyday thing. The limits of our bodies anabolic/catabolic state are vastly underestimated and exaggerated, respectively. Our bodies don't think every 2-3 hours what it should be doing with itself regarding metabolism; it thinks in terms of 24 - 72 hours.

You can eat one big meal every single day, 7 days a week, and be fine.
    Ok thanks, I just know it's bad to skip breakfast, I hadn't ever heard anything about lunch! haha

It's not. It's about 3 pm and I have not eaten a thing today. Perfectly fine.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I make Friday a big workout day for me so I can enjoy my evening and all that it brings without guilt.....I do this every Friday. :flowerforyou:
  • rachellynn140
    rachellynn140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try having a very low calorie lunch. Also, you could try to cut back on the calories in your pizza. Thin crust pizza has fewer calories than regular crust. The more meat you have on the pizza, the more calories.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I do that every now and then. In fact, I plan on saving most of my calories for dinner on Sunday night. I don't skip meals entirely though, just have very small and low calorie ones -- like a salad or a sandwich on low-cal bread and a serving of fat-free chips.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Have an egg for breakfast (approx. 90 calories) and something small for lunch like a FiberOne bar (150 calories).
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    The only issue is that you most likely will be really hungry at dinner and tend to over do it. You might want to try a lettuce salad for lunch with light dressing to help curb the hunger.

Enjoy the pizza!
  • Amsuper
    Amsuper Posts: 1
    Options
    here is a site in intermittent fasting... this is what you can do... on bodybuilding.com forums people try it all the time and have really liked it... also calories in vs calories out is the number one weight loss tool... so if you save your cals and eat them at once it is better than eating throughout the day then adding more at the end of the day... also since friday is your pizza night you could make saturday an activity day so you can burn those cals... or even adding a small walk in after you eat will help! GOOD LUCK :0)

http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I never skip meals entirely, but I will lighten up early in the day if I know I'm going to splurge later. I also try to make sure I get all my water and plenty of fiber and protein before the feast! For me, that means plain greek yogurt with a serving of fiber one cereal mixed in. However you do it, I don't think it hurts anything as long as it doesn't become a daily habit of starving yourself until night time, although I think you'll eat a lot more pizza if you skip meals earlier in the day.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Right and wrong.

OP you can do this even if it is an everyday thing. The limits of our bodies anabolic/catabolic state are vastly underestimated and exaggerated, respectively. Our bodies don't think every 2-3 hours what it should be doing with itself regarding metabolism; it thinks in terms of 24 - 72 hours.

Oh are you my little forum stalker now? rofl......
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Oh are you my little forum stalker now? rofl......
    Actually I don't remember anyone I really respond to. I said you were partially right, though! That's better than most people get...
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Right and wrong.

I've been reading on this...intermittent fasting. I'm thinking about trying it to see if its effective for me. I'm a every 2.5-3 hour eater but I like to try new things just to see the effects if its not found to be dangerous and I can't find anything on this that states otherwise.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I've been reading on this...intermittent fasting. I'm thinking about trying it to see if its effective for me. I'm a every 2.5-3 hour eater but I like to try new things just to see the effects if its not found to be dangerous and I can't find anything on this that states otherwise.
    Goodness no. Some studies have implicated that fasting may have the same neuroprotective effects that exercise has. No increased catabolism, and potentially INCREASED fat loss.

Nothing dangerous about fasting unless you fast for extremely long periods of time (more than 24 hours) and then partake in rigorous activity.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    here is a site in intermittent fasting... this is what you can do... on bodybuilding.com forums people try it all the time and have really liked it... also calories in vs calories out is the number one weight loss tool... so if you save your cals and eat them at once it is better than eating throughout the day then adding more at the end of the day... also since friday is your pizza night you could make saturday an activity day so you can burn those cals... or even adding a small walk in after you eat will help! GOOD LUCK :0)

http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/
    Thanks for sharing.

I've been reading this one http://www.leangains.com/

He has a lot of info on this one as well.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

I've been reading this one http://www.leangains.com/

He has a lot of info on this one as well.
    Berkhan is one of the masterminds behind IF'ing becoming a more mainstream thing. Lots of empirical evidence posted on that cite supporting his claims. Great source of information.
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    I make Friday a big workout day for me so I can enjoy my evening and all that it brings without guilt.....I do this every Friday. :flowerforyou:
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    I do this also :)
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Instead of saving calories...create some with exercise. Personally last weekend me and my wife went hiking for a couple hours and I ended up burning 1400+ calories that morning. Needless to say I was able to enjoy pizza and desert that night. :smile: