Weight Loss Surgery in Mexico?

Options

Replies

• pmaia
    pmaia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My cousin had the surgery and had an unrelated infection months later. Her body could not fight the infection with normal antibiotics, so the doctor prescribed some concoction that left her with depleted kidney function. She almost ended up on dialysis. Lucky she is young and able to get her kidneys functioning without dialysis. She was unable to work for almost a year before she was healthy enough. And she is back at her sw.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Has the OP even come back?

@booksandchocolate12 no & I find this to be a common oddity. Many threads're started & they go on, for multiple pages; just via back & forth conversations among the regulars & the OP never responds, even once. I understand the threads, in which the OP; rage quits after at least 1 response but I don't understand these, types of threads. So that's why I typically won't post, to the OP; if I post in their abandoned thread or if I deem it extremely important, I'll tag or/and PM them.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The OP's profile states, that she's 42 & she desires to have, a 2nd child. At her age & if healthy, she doesn't have many typical, breeding years left & thus for the rush.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I do find it funny when they don't see the response they are looking for they never come back.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I do find it funny when they don't see the response they are looking for they never come back.

There was a thread yesterday where the OP said she was expecting to be bashed so didn't plan on coming back to read replies. And she never posted to the thread again (she may have lurked, though...who knows?).

What I want to know is, why post a question, a comment, an observation, if you have no intention of engaging in a discussion about it? What's the point?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

There was a thread yesterday where the OP said she was expecting to be bashed so didn't plan on coming back to read replies. And she never posted to the thread again (she may have lurked, though...who knows?).

What I want to know is, why post a question, a comment, an observation, if you have no intention of engaging in a discussion about it? What's the point?

Sometimes (not saying that it's the case here) people post a question without realizing how active the boards can be. Particularly on some topics. I have seen some threads bumped by the OP days later stating they had no idea there would be all those responses. I wonder if some lose the thread and don't know how to find it. And certainly there are times when they really didn't want contradictory responses because they have already decided. Others may need some time to take it on board. I used to find it frustrating to spend so much time responding and not even so much as a thanks for your time. Then I realized that I was being the fool for spending the time on it :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    *shrug*. The OP could be lurking after making the initial post. And if s/he doesn't learn from it, others still might. I did the majority of my learning on MFP by searching reading older posts. It doesn't bother me that much when they don't post back.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    datchka wrote: »
    Wow people sure are being harsh. There are plenty of facilities in Mexico that are run extremely well, clean, helpful, amazing. The doctors are lovely and wonderful at their job.
    I had WLS first in the U.S. under health insurance but am now temporarily living in Mexico with family. Due to circumstances I decided to have a second WLS surgery but here in Mexico. I had a very good experience, one of my doctors was so lovely she hugged me several times and we both said we loved each other! I get emailed with instructions and information to help me know what to take and eat and do. I'm to email them blood sample draws every 3 months so they can monitor I'm getting all my nutrients and vitamins. They took great care of me and so far this surgery has felt far easier to recover than my first. I never felt any pain!! There were around 3-4 other people (all Mexicans btw so it's trusted locally) getting various WLS at the time.

For me the major downside is you can get it done at such a rush and without knowing much information and how to treat yourself. Luckily from the first time, in the U.S., they made me take classes and they're better at making 100% sure you know what you're doing and expecting before letting you have it. In Mexico you can just do it and not find out about some stuff till after. Don't just do it without a ton of research, this is a huge decision that will affect the rest of your life and some people can't handle that.

So in the end, I'm not saying "yes go do it"... I just wanted to say Mexico can be an option if it's researched well. Go to WLS forums, they talk about good doctors.

I'm sure there are good doctors and medical care available in Mexico. To me the deal breaker would be having elective surgery in another country an issue comes up and expecting your insurance to pay to fix it.
  • AvriAnn
    AvriAnn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not on a WLS note, but I traveled to Mexico while I was pregnant, and started to bleed. I went to the *best* hospital and they wanted to INDUCE ME at 26 weeks, because the baby had "low fluid". I talked to my doctor in the US and we decided it would be in my best interest to return home and be seen immediately. Flew home that night, baby was perfectly fine and I had just overdone it walking around. Had I let them induce me, my 2 year old most likely wouldn't be here today.
  • leseratte2222
    leseratte2222 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just for the record - I am grateful for all the responses. I asked a specific question: Did s.o. have surgery in Mexico and what was the experience. As far as I can see, nobody answered the question. Instead: I got a lot of opinions and judgment from people I do not know and who do not know me - I simply feel I could have asked this question 10000 people at a hockey game and I whatever these strangers think I will do.....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I thought we all gave solid advice.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel like people gave their honest opinions on why they would (generally speaking) never have surgery in Mexico in the first place. I think that's answering your question. Besides, even if someone posts on here that they had WL surgery in Mexico, that is only one person's experience with who knows how many variables. I think people just want you to be safe and not take unnecessary risks, me included.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are on a public forum, and those who could have answered your specific question, are probably dead. Instead you have gotten sensible advice from people who have experienced overweight, even obesity, and found healthy and sustainable ways to deal with it. I'm glad you have read it all, and I'm sure you will think so too, not now, but later, when you have "digested" it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other side of the world, but the equivalent over here is going to South East Asia for WLS. Just before Christmas, my friend's dad went for WLS in Sth Korea. They finally got the body back and had a funeral a week or so ago. No one is really sure where the body was in the intervening weeks.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly telling that 2.3 THOUSAND people read this thread and no one has had a positive review or shared an experience of having surgery there.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    There are excellent surgeons in Mexico and very good hospitals there also a friend of mine had a cosmetic surgery procedure there. My late husband was a surgeon and he talked about some of the great doctors and hospitals in Mexico and other countries but just don't do it alone be sure you have people with you and look carefully before you go forward.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Edited for addressing wrong person. NVM
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow. You got advice from health care professionals who have experience with hospitals in Mexico. You got opinions from people who have not had weight loss surgery in Mexico, but have had other experiences with health care in Mexico.

But these responses were of no value to you?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Just for the record - I am grateful for all the responses. I asked a specific question: Did s.o. have surgery in Mexico and what was the experience. As far as I can see, nobody answered the question. Instead: I got a lot of opinions and judgment from people I do not know and who do not know me - I simply feel I could have asked this question 10000 people at a hockey game and I whatever these strangers think I will do.....

Several posters were willing to try to help you get WLS coverage in Canada. Maybe reread the thread and respond to them.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was talking about this (going to Mexico for surgeries, we live close enough to the border that lots of people here drive there for vacations) with my coworker, and she brought up the TV show Botched. I guess quite a few of the screwed up surgeries are done in Mexico and other Latin America countries. I don't think I would go to another country for surgery due to the fact I would want regular checkups afterwards with my surgical team. Also there's the question of legal recourse should the surgery be botched.