Cottage Cheese...

Options

Replies

• mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just tried a tuna salad and cottage cheese flatbread wrap for lunch. It was great!
  • rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain normally but the other day i mixed it with roasted red pepper humus and it was really good!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese and can go either sweet or savory. I like to mix it with pineapple, mandarin oranges, or berries, even a little cinnamon is good. I will also add a little season salt from time to time for something more savory.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try cinnamon THANKS
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I love cottage cheese and can go either sweet or savory. I like to mix it with pineapple, mandarin oranges, or berries, even a little cinnamon is good. I will also add a little season salt from time to time for something more savory.

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    OH YUM Thanks
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Good for you!

I like to mix in protein powder or cinnamon/splenda/vanilla flavoring or pb2.

OOO... all of those sound yummy!

• meganvoltz
    meganvoltz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese pairs well with cantelope. Always seemed strange to me when I was a kid, but now I crave it.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese instead of butter on baked potato topped with chives, onions, or chopped bacon. Can't eat a baked potato any other way!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    mlboyer100 wrote: »
    Hey, I just tried a tuna salad and cottage cheese flatbread wrap for lunch. It was great!

Ya, way more nutritious than mayo!
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the best! I used to hate it with pineapple like some restaurants like to serve it, but mostly because I wasn't a fan of pineapple for a long time. Personally I just prefer it with a bit of pepper on top. I also use it in enchiladas or lasagna or other baked dishes for a yummy creamy texture. It's an excellent source of protein, low in fat, and relatively low carb side or snack. The thought of adding an entire can of tuna to it, on the other hand, would make me gag!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with turmeric, cumin, and hot pepper sauce (ideally smoked hot pepper sauce) mixed in, perhaps with some cucumber. Another way to eat it is as a "dressing" for green salad or bean salad - and if you don't like the texture, you can run it through the food processor with some seasonings to make dressing (or, yes, use ricotta ;) ). I'd rather have it on fruit than in one of the pre-packaged fruity combos or pre-flavored versions - the ones of those I've had are way too sweet/sugary for me.
  • lausie18
    lausie18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Friendship brand has a great whipped cottage cheese. The texture is very different and much more appealing to me than regular cottage cheese!
  • mlboyer100
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese instead of butter on baked potato topped with chives, onions, or chopped bacon. Can't eat a baked potato any other way!

Why did I never think about doing that! Makes perfect sense and helps offset all those carbs! Thanks!
  • mlboyer100
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mlboyer100 wrote: »

Ya, way more nutritious than mayo!

I haven't used mayo in almos a year! My guy still uses it and the other day I took a taste off the knife... Ugggg! It was awful! I use plain Greek yogurt with a squirt of spicy mustard, or relish, salsa or horseradish in place of mayo now. Love it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I love cottage cheese with turmeric, cumin, and hot pepper sauce (ideally smoked hot pepper sauce) mixed in, perhaps with some cucumber. Another way to eat it is as a "dressing" for green salad or bean salad - and if you don't like the texture, you can run it through the food processor with some seasonings to make dressing (or, yes, use ricotta ;) ). I'd rather have it on fruit than in one of the pre-packaged fruity combos or pre-flavored versions - the ones of those I've had are way too sweet/sugary for me.

Yup, I use it as a base for salad dressing, maybe 56 g of cottage cheese, 1 t olive oil, and then whatever strikes my fancy.
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Making your own is wayyyyy better and you have more control over ingredients. It's not that hard either. Here is a link to one recipe:
    http://momsthumb.blogspot.com/2014/01/homemade-cottage-cheese.html
    I have also made mozzarella cheese and ricotta. OH! And sauerkraut. And yogurt.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    LOL - I love cottage cheese and so does my active, 18 yr old son. However, we had a squabble in the supermarket as he insists that certain brands are better than others. I never noticed. I just buy whichever is on sale!
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love cottage cheese! I don't seem to like mixing sweets with it but i love it with cracked black pepper. Yum!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Love it! Only Clover's 4% organic...
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

Yes. Forgot this. Usually only think to eat with pineapples or when really craving something bad, potato chips!

And vthisv sounds awesome! So many great ways to do cottage cheese!
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

• millovki
    millovki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    This thread is cracking me up... I finally like CC with the darn fruit and then some of these ideas are just making me gag again.. LOL SO FUNNY

Lol