Just watched Skin Tight... Completely freaking out now!

Options
OK, the show Skin Tight on TLC has me terrified.

Just saw my first episode. I plan to lose a total of 186-190 pounds. I know my skin is stretched and it will likely never have that tight, toned skin of days gone by. But does EVERYONE who loses this amount of weight end up with draping, floor dragging skin? I'm sure skin removal surgery isn't covered by my insurance plan and at $16,000 - $20,000 per surgery (yes it can take more than one) it likely isn't an option. Am I needlessly freaking out or is it to be expected with this amount of weight loss? I hadn't even considered this..... Ughhhh

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The truth is you are likely to have excess skin. How much will depend on how long you have carried the excess weight, your age and genetics.

I don't know about dragging the floor though. You are most likely to have excess skin on your upper arm, upper leg, and abdomen. The general wisdom is that you need to maintain for 2 years to see how much your skin rebounds.

I wouldn't let that be a reason to keep the weight on. Maybe a reason to start saving for surgery now.

I lost 100 around age 40 with a long history of being obese. The extra skin isn't nice. Only nice thing about regain was having less extra. But I'm still working on taking it off again and very much planning to at least get my upper arms done.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not going to stop because if this but I just wonder if there's anything to do it better. Minimize the damage so to speak. Like losing the weight more slowly for example. Instead of 3-4 pounds a week, maybe eat more and lose a consistent 1 pound a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I'm definitely not going to stop because if this but I just wonder if there's anything to do it better. Minimize the damage so to speak. Like losing the weight more slowly for example. Instead of 3-4 pounds a week, maybe eat more and lose a consistent 1 pound a week.

I don't think it matters how fast you lose the weight. Supposedly, it takes 2 years for skin to bounce back anyway, and mine hasn't changed one bit in 2 years so... don't put your health at risk by losing more slowly just to avoid loose skin, which is pretty much unavoidable with such a weight loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You could start a savings account.
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You could start a savings account.

If I did I'd buy a new car. Mine's 22 years old.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Get a few more years out of your car. You can do it. I know it sounds like a lot but scrimp somewhere.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

* I may not be wearing any bikinis, but away from public eyes, I'm happy with matching bras and undies because I have a definite shape! My husband isn't complaining. Also, candlelight fixes everything in my experience, lol.
    * I can walk up multiple flights of stairs.
    * I can jog.
    * I can even jog up stairs!
    * I can do many things with a lot more ease.
    * My blood pressure is completely normal now.
    * Controlling for other factors such as stray buses or serial killers, I might not die before I'm old. All my skin will be wrinkled then, anyway.
    * I am increasingly able to just put on the first outfit I grab from my closet and be appropriately dressed and comfortable at the same time.
    * I am not afraid of breaking chairs or that I won't fit into certain spaces.

Well said.

• queenliz99
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

* I may not be wearing any bikinis, but away from public eyes, I'm happy with matching bras and undies because I have a definite shape! My husband isn't complaining. Also, candlelight fixes everything in my experience, lol.
    * I can walk up multiple flights of stairs.
    * I can jog.
    * I can even jog up stairs!
    * I can do many things with a lot more ease.
    * My blood pressure is completely normal now.
    * Controlling for other factors such as stray buses or serial killers, I might not die before I'm old. All my skin will be wrinkled then, anyway.
    * I am increasingly able to just put on the first outfit I grab from my closet and be appropriately dressed and comfortable at the same time.
    * I am not afraid of breaking chairs or that I won't fit into certain spaces.

Well said.

+1
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    I love you guys and this site. While still horrified yinz have talked me down appropriately.

I'm sure the cases on the show are the most extreme of the extreme cases they could find. One lady had two feet of hanging stomach skin that caused skin breakage between the folds and constantly set up infection. I know the skin I'll be left with won't be pretty. I just didn't want two feet of hanging, infected stomach skin.
  • Cynsonya
    Options

For sure
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a single person featured on that show who had attained a healthy weight. They're all still overweight or obese, and their skin surgeries are not skin surgeries, they are flab-ectomies.
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single person featured on that show who had attained a healthy weight. They're all still overweight or obese, and their skin surgeries are not skin surgeries, they are flab-ectomies.

I agree. If I ever could get the skin surgery I wouldn't be getting it at 190lbs. I'd wait until I was completely finished losing. Then work on muscle tone for a while before getting it done.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I lost 155 lbs in my mid 30s having always been obese. Been maintaining nearly two years. Never had a skin infection, I do have loose skin but mainly on my stomach also from going full term with twins while morbidly obese. (I'm 175 lbs lighter than I was at that point). It's not pretty but it also doesn't hang down that far. I look completely fine with clothes on.

Apart from that I have loose skin on upper thighs, at the back of my knees and I did have some on my calves but that has shrunk a lot while maintaining. I wear knee length but no shorter. Bat wings, yes, but not bad enough to stop me wearing sleeveless tops. I also lift weights and I have some nice muscle that I like to show off :)
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    I lost 155 lbs in my mid 30s having always been obese. Been maintaining nearly two years. Never had a skin infection, I do have loose skin but mainly on my stomach also from going full term with twins while morbidly obese. (I'm 175 lbs lighter than I was at that point). It's not pretty but it also doesn't hang down that far. I look completely fine with clothes on.

Apart from that I have loose skin on upper thighs, at the back of my knees and I did have some on my calves but that has shrunk a lot while maintaining. I wear knee length but no shorter. Bat wings, yes, but not bad enough to stop me wearing sleeveless tops. I also lift weights and I have some nice muscle that I like to show off :)

You're an inspiration! Thank you!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

I think the young man (23 year old) had reached a pretty healthy weight. However, the lady featured on that same episode definitely had not lost the full amount of weight she should have prior to surgery. I believe she had 3 surgeries during the course of the show and was contemplating a 4th!

I wonder how these people can afford these (very expensive) surgeries?! Does the show foot the bill? I don't know many 23 year olds who have that kind of money. Also, (so far) the homes these people live in appear fairly modest, so they don't look like folks with a lot of discretionary income for plastic surgery.
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

I think the young man (23 year old) had reached a pretty healthy weight. However, the lady featured on that same episode definitely had not lost the full amount of weight she should have prior to surgery. I believe she had 3 surgeries during the course of the show and was contemplating a 4th!

I wonder how these people can afford these (very expensive) surgeries?! Does the show foot the bill? I don't know many 23 year olds who have that kind of money. Also, (so far) the homes these people live in appear fairly modest, so they don't look like folks with a lot of discretionary income for plastic surgery.

I think the show pays for them.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OP I am not sure if you have seen this video about loose skin from the Obese to Beast YouTube channel. It isn't new. He does have a lot of loose skin, but It is fairly hidden when he is dressed. http://youtu.be/CpKDteQ3FIQ
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    It's just heartbreaking what some of us have done to our bodies.