Just watched Skin Tight... Completely freaking out now!

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    It's just heartbreaking what some of us have done to our bodies.

:(

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    It's partially genetics and age, but these measures should help:
    1. Not losing weight too fast ( at your current weight, I think you could safely lose 3 pounds per week for a while.)
    2. Strength training or bodyweight routines while you lose weight
    3. Eating adequate protein

Other posters have said they'd been at their goal weight for a year or two before their skin finished tightening up.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-minimize-loose-skin-during-weight-loss-1696145766
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1. Not losing weight too fast ( at your current weight, I think you could safely lose 3 pounds per week for a while.)

Other posters have said they'd been at their goal weight for a year or two before their skin finished tightening up.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-minimize-loose-skin-during-weight-loss-1696145766

Thank you!!! I knew there had to be SOMETHING that could at least help a little.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    I lost 110lbs last year been maintaining/slowly losing a few more lbs the last 2 months. I'm a 39yo male. My nips hang loosely about 3 inches below my pecs and I have loose soon around my neck and butt. I won't lie, it sucks. I have worked my *kitten* off to get here and I still look like hell with my shirt off. That said I'm healthy, I can run for an hour, I can do pull ups and squats and walk all the stairs in the world. I'm glad I lost the weight and wouldn't change that, but still sucks to see my saggy chest and tummy skin.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Just so you know the people on these shows lose weight very rapidly and not always healthfully ( we don't know all the behind the scenes stuff)

So as I have researched this topic I have found a few things. Lose weight at a normal pace not accelerated. Keep hydrated to keep the skin elasticity. Moisturizer daily. Massage daily. Do toning exercise like weight lifting/ interval train or hiit. After you lose it all it can take two years for skin to tighten or up to 6. It majorly has to do with genetics some people have it others do not!

I would not stress over it. There are other things to worry over.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @Cynsonya Look into Gelatin/collagen. Obviously it wont eliminate loose skin, but it may give you a helping hand. Great Lakes are a decent brand.

Google gelatin+skin benefits or gelatin+loose skin, and you can decide for yourself if it's something you want to try.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    there is no commercially available potion, pill or supplement that is going to help this ..

unless that potion, pill or supplement reinforces your patience and commitment of course

why waste money on unproved marketing hype? hope over reality unfortunately

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I love you guys and this site. While still horrified yinz have talked me down appropriately.

I'm sure the cases on the show are the most extreme of the extreme cases they could find. One lady had two feet of hanging stomach skin that caused skin breakage between the folds and constantly set up infection. I know the skin I'll be left with won't be pretty. I just didn't want two feet of hanging, infected stomach skin.

Well if it's that bad, I believe that most insurances will pay for it. So, that's something..

But I hear you OP. It's tough. But still worth it.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I love you guys and this site. While still horrified yinz have talked me down appropriately.

I'm sure the cases on the show are the most extreme of the extreme cases they could find. One lady had two feet of hanging stomach skin that caused skin breakage between the folds and constantly set up infection. I know the skin I'll be left with won't be pretty. I just didn't want two feet of hanging, infected stomach skin.

Well if it's that bad, I believe that most insurances will pay for it. So, that's something..

But I hear you OP. It's tough. But still worth it.

Yes, it is. I can't wait to be in Onederland again, lol.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Which would you rather have? loose skin that can be fixed surgically, or feeling like you're not living to the best of your ability because of your weight? I'd choose the first option.

Also a common factor that I've seen from the show is that most of the people have gastric bypass. That's rapid weight loss in a quick amount of time initially, no wonder they have loose skin. Yes, you can still get loose skin even if you don't have the surgery, but that's really beyond your control. Also if it's very bad most insurance companies will cover it because the loose skin can cause issues like irritation/rubbing/extra weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2016

Who wrote this article? This statement:
    Maintaining or increasing muscle tissue is the key to minimizing loose skin. Remember, the phenomenon occurs when the underlying layers of tissue shrink under a much large surface area. If muscle mass is lost in addition to fat, it creates an even larger void under your skin's surface. On the other hand, increasing lean tissue fills the area underneath the skin, keeping it taut.

seems a bit ridiculous. While I totally agree that strength training while losing weight is a great idea to minimize muscle loss, the odds that it will greatly affect loose skin seems pretty slim, especially on a woman. There is just no possible way you are going to preserve or gain enough muscle to fill out the skin left by losing a significant amount of fat. Skin shrinkage is what is needed, not muscle gain to keep the skin taut. Given that lb for lb muscle takes up much less space than fat, you'd have to actually gain quite a bit of weight for that to happen.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    I suggest that you start lifting weights since day one. I have been and I am toning up nicely. I think I will still have some trouble spots like my inner thighs but it won't be horrible. I also suggest drinking lots of water. It helps as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Reality shows are meant to shock and make things appear worse than they actually are. I haven't watched it because I find these types of shows boring, but your question prompted me to look around for some clips. Just like I expected. You see them pulling their skin away from their body, for example, to show you how bad it is. Even the most minimal loose skin that is barely even visible and has no hang will pull away from the body and appear worse than it is. They deliberately look for the worst angles and movements while filming this. These camera tricks can give anyone, even thin people, an unflattering look. I have also noticed the woman I happened to watch had her skin pulled out of her jeans to make her look worse in clothes. Loose skin is actually generally light and can easily be tucked in and compressed under the right clothes to make it look like you have no loose skin at all.

The talk about infection, though real, is also overplayed. A skin fold is a skin fold, full or deflated. The moisture and bacteria don't care how much fat is covering that fold, so infections are a possibility both for the obese and the obese who have lost weight. I refuse to believe that these people did not have skin folds and hangs when they were super obese. If anything, at the weights many of the people in the show used to be personal hygiene would have been harder to tend to.

I haven't seen other people from the show, but I believe they may have some extreme cases with extreme losses that aren't applicable in your case. Yes, you will probably have some loose skin, but it won't be or feel as bad as the show is trying to make you believe. If a certain part REALLY bothers you enough to justify surgery, you can get the skin there removed. You don't have to do your whole body like they do on the show. Who knows, you might actually find it not to be a big deal.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    In the end, skin tightening surgery might be less life-threatening than living with obesity.

I'm also a little bit worried that I'll end up with really flabby hanging stomach skin, and I'm only 25. :/
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member

If you have that then in the US insurance will generally cover the surgery.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Get a few more years out of your car. You can do it. I know it sounds like a lot but scrimp somewhere.

Or sell the car and walk everywhere, youd lose weight AND save money XD*

*sarcasm

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Who wrote this article? This statement:
    Maintaining or increasing muscle tissue is the key to minimizing loose skin. Remember, the phenomenon occurs when the underlying layers of tissue shrink under a much large surface area. If muscle mass is lost in addition to fat, it creates an even larger void under your skin's surface. On the other hand, increasing lean tissue fills the area underneath the skin, keeping it taut.

seems a bit ridiculous. While I totally agree that strength training while losing weight is a great idea to minimize muscle loss, the odds that it will greatly affect loose skin seems pretty slim, especially on a woman. There is just no possible way you are going to preserve or gain enough muscle to fill out the skin left by losing a significant amount of fat. Skin shrinkage is what is needed, not muscle gain to keep the skin taut. Given that lb for lb muscle takes up much less space than fat, you'd have to actually gain quite a bit of weight for that to happen.

Never take Lifehacker too seriously. Adding muscle under the skin just adds volume and retaining muscle should at least make the lose skin less noticble but it isn't magic.
  • carrie1829
    carrie1829 Posts: 143 Member
    This scares me too! But I will push on regardless. My hubby says that we will find a way to pay for it when the time comes if I want to have it done. I have always been happy with who I am regardless of my size so I hope that I don't lose that part of me along this journey.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    I haven't seen the show but have seen a few threads on here about it now which is starting to make me think it's somewhat detrimental to people with a lot of weight to lose. I don't mean you, OP- you seem very reasonable and not dissuaded from wanting to lose, but at least 2 other people have posted basically saying they'd rather just be overweight than have that much loose skin, which is disheartening to hear.

Some amount of loose skin is inevitable, and I think there's very little you can do/control to reduce it. But I think it is still 100 times better than the alternative, not just from a health perspective but also from a straight vanity perspective. And like others said, depending on your insurance if the extra skin is so bad that it is causing infections or other health problems, it may be covered.

In any event, it's definitely something where I'd suggest everyone cross that bridge when they get to it. Focus on losing the weight and worry about the skin later! I think most people find that while they'd rather not have it, it's not as bad as expected.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I lost a lot of weight quickly and ended up with lose skin here and there. It's not awful but it's there and it drives me crazy! At my age it just doesn't bounce back quickly. I've tried many things to tighten and tone up the elasticity but not much really works well, just time. The only thing I found was the most effective was lifting heavy weights. I don't know why but for me it helped my skin to tighten up pretty quickly!