Weight loss habits that drive your spouse/partner bonkers

Options
Evidently my spouse does not like the way I now eat nuts or popcorn. Instead of grabbing a handful and downing it I now mindfully eat. I chew and enjoy each nut or kernel. Drives her buggy. Anyone else have a weight loss habit that drives people crazy?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my weighing everything or close to it drives hubby nuts,he thinks its stupid
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My husband jokes that I have a deeper relationship with my food scale than with him. I weigh obsessively. He gets irritated when I come home with a bag of Simply Sun Chips and weigh out 1 ounce baggies (serving size). But he is getting on board with it now that he is seeing results.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My husband annoys me. Now that I weigh everything out before I eat it, I get super defensive over my food. Tonight he asked me for a bite of ice cream (he takes big bites) and I'm like "nooooo!!! Get your own its in the freezer." He doesn't understand that, yeah, it's just one bite. But it's MY bite. Haha. I don't like sharing anymore.
  • roberta_m_s18
    roberta_m_s18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely weighing and measuring everything before I plate it drives him bonkers.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The weighing and measuring drives my wife nuts. Particularly when I ask her to follow the recipe and not add in extra cheese or sub whipping cream in for milk.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    Evidently my spouse does not like the way I now eat nuts or popcorn. Instead of grabbing a handful and downing it I now mindfully eat. I chew and enjoy each nut or kernel. Drives her buggy. Anyone else have a weight loss habit that drives people crazy?

Are you a noisy eater or do you eat with your mouth open? Because that would drive me nuts.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When I pause to set my Fitbit to exercise mode before we do the biz.

... kidding.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    My husband annoys me. Now that I weigh everything out before I eat it, I get super defensive over my food. Tonight he asked me for a bite of ice cream (he takes big bites) and I'm like "nooooo!!! Get your own its in the freezer." He doesn't understand that, yeah, it's just one bite. But it's MY bite. Haha. I don't like sharing anymore.

But you weighed it

You are not unreasonable

Your husband annoys me too ;)

(As do my children when they try to do the same)
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,391 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing, logging EVERYTHING, sub healthier foods at restaurants, cooking two meals sometimes, for years NOW!
    At first it would drive my husband nuts, now sometimes, he surprise me with healthy snacks! <3:)<3
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, weighing all my food. Apparently "I'm too obsessive". It also annoys him when I'm pestering him to make his mind up about what we're having for dinner tonight.... at 5am! He doesn't understand that I NEED to fill in my diary NOW!!!! So I know how my day is going to look :lol:
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    We're both doing this together, but with slightly different dietary requirements. I'm cutting cholesterol and reducing sodium and he's pre-diabetic and cutting carbs and fats. So, we're both a lot more supportive of each other than other couples. But it drives him crazy that I'll divide our dinner recipes into two exact portions so that we each get half. "Can't you just put it on the plate?"..... Nope. Already entered it into MFP! You get six ounces, I get six ounces.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mine has been pretty supportive but he got annoyed when I asked him to weigh everything when he cooked a month ago. He even weighed the oil though, which made it a bit of a pain to log... I would have just logged a random entry but really needed to watch my calories at the time... Other than that, he's happy about it because I cook all the time now. If anything, he complains because I make too much tasty stuff (been making our own bread) and he ends up eating too much of it.

What bothers him the most I think is when we want to go out to eat, because I always end up turning some places down (I just can't afford to splurge most of the time, and a lot of places just don't have healthy options I care for). He doesn't really get that I want to make the most of my calories, and that I'd rather make something I want at home instead of having to order yet another salad or grilled meat at the restaurant because it's the only thing I can eat (I'm not splurging unless I REALLY want something). So vacations kinda suck a lot now.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    My wife rolls her eyes when I mention how much fat or how much sodium is in a particular item. But when I told her the nutritional information for a Doner Kebap (flatbread sandwich) and told her it would have to be a very rare treat, she agreed with me.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring definitely!

I do most of the cooking normally, but my boyfriend wanted to make dinner and was following the recipe I'd given him, which specifically said 1 tablespoon of oil. He didn't measure and poured what was easily 3-4 in the pan... I'd put out the measuring spoons and scales to make it easier. He didn't really understand why I got so worked up about it, and I do feel bad, but I couldn't help it!
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    He's more amused than annoyed but here they are:

When I run around the living room to get to my final step goal.
    When I ruin take-out (rare for us) by researching the calories ahead of time.
    When I measure my wine to the fluid ounce.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that the only thing that bugs my husband is that I'm not happy with what I see in the mirror when I don't have clothes on.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My husband laughs at me more than he gets annoyed. He had a good laugh this weekend when we got take out teryiaki - I carefully weighed the cabbage, rice and meat into a bowl before eating. He told me the whole point of take out was to not to have to do dishes!
  • tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

... kidding.

Hahaha
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

... kidding.

HA! See you're kidding but my hubby actually makes me take it off because he "feels like it's like, recording us or something". Not kidding. BA HA HA!

Anyway, the thing that really drives him nuts is me pacing back and forth across our apartment (and in front of the tv) trying to bring my burn up, at 11 at night, so I'll come in under goal. (treadmill too loud after baby falls asleep). It takes 80 "laps" to make 4000 steps (my place is tiny).
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My wife HATES the smell of my protein powders. I have to make them while she's not in the kitchen or risk driving her away.