decent low calorie pasta?

Options

Replies

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    Shiritake noodles are aweeeeesome. They're in the refrigerated area by the tofu in the grocery store. They're exactly like ramen noodles, they have the same al dente texture And you can cook them a little if you like softer.
    Zuchini noodles are ok, but they're NOT pasta. They're almost no calories (15 cals for about a cup and half-ish), and in broth they really hit the spot. No flavor to them so they'd be good with anything. They're almost all fiber so they also fill you up like crazy!

These are nasty, imo.....and smell like dead fish.

They can be nasty but rinsed well and dry fried with a ton of sauce on top and I don't mind having them when I don't have many calories left over for dinner.
    Either that or I stick to 70 grams of the real pasta.
    I think zucchini would be okay but I think it wouldn't be filling enough for me. Maybe half real pasta and half spiral zucchini would hit the spot and also save some calories.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki!!!!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it's the toppings that I crave (like Bolognese sauce), spaghetti squash works just fine for me.

If I crave pasta though.. nothing else will do. I typically have 1.5 serving and I use whole grain pasta, so it's only 270 calories, which isn't too hard to fit.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I make the barilla protein pasta. Not low cal but high nutrient. Passes the Piedmontese in-laws pasta-snob test!
    I serve pasta every other week & save up to enjoy a monster 3.5 oz serving which satisfies until the next time. I also only pair it with an additional protein sauce or side so it is a very satisfying meal. Have lost weight steadily enjoying pasta about 2x per month for 5+ months.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Shirataki/miracle noodles. A godsend for stir fry.

This...you can buy Shirataki from amazon. It's pretty good if you rinse it first, then fry it. It's like 10 calories for 3 oz. Once you had sauce, it pretty much takes the place of pasta. You can also use to bulk up your pasta...so one serving of regular pasta and one serving of Shirataki. Trust, the stuff is filling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, but of course it's not really pasta and I don't think of it as a pasta substitute.

2 oz of pasta is plenty and not that high in calories. I eat it all the time with a homemade sauce with some sort of lean protein and lots of vegetables. Makes a perfectly reasonable calorie dinner, and delicious.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is good and super low calorie. we still eat pasta though too - we made a "healthy" fettuccine the other day with whole wheat noodles and greek yogurt as the base of the sauce. super filling and worth it. go to pinterest to find healthier pasta recipes.

also, i totally agree that i make room for it in my diary. i'm choosing not to deprive myself of anything during this process - but i'll eat a lighter breakfast/lunch so i can stuff myself at dinner, haha.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta has changed my life. I can actually have it and feel full hours later.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    That's what I mostly eat at home, but it makes zero difference to satiety for me. I've always found a white pasta meal with protein and vegetables to be perfectly filling.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    <3 tysm guys.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    All the pastas are pretty much going to be the same.

This^

I just look for one with more fiber. That way a smaller portion is going to be more filling (for me).

Measure & log regular food. Eliminating pasta in the short term won't help you during maintenance.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    These are nasty, imo.....and smell like dead fish.

The ones I got have no smell or taste. They are supposed to be rinsed. I know there are several different brands and some are prob better than others.
    The brand I got was "Nasoya" Pasta Zero Shirataki spaghetti.

I buy the same brand and I don't think they have any sort of taste either. They have the faintest smell fresh out of the package, but once I rinse them it is gone. I love them, and I cannot live without them! :-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    please. i cant survive another day without it.

Fiber Gourmet brand pasta. Half the calories of regular. High fiber. Not gritty.

http://www.fibergourmet.com/

They also have crackers, but I've never tried them.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    awesome, i had spinach fettucini noodles last night and it was delicious and not too crazy.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Instead of typical UK portion of 75g I usually go with 50 or 60 then bulk it out with tomatoes/veg depending if hot or cold meal. Slightly less cals but not feeling too deprived! I noticed in France the suggested serving size on my bag of penne was 60g so not sure why it's so much more for us greedy Brits!!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    please. i cant survive another day without it.
    zucchini noodles err mah GAWD....survival depends on it!

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    aw *kitten* man. can i BUY zicchini noodles somehwere? like big y?

You can peel them into "noodles" with a peeler if you don't have a spiralizer.

I just use a fork. It does the job just fine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you just need something to put sauce on or put under a stir fry, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash is a nice sub.

If you crave pasta, there is no substitute. I save up calories for Tuesday night pasta at my mom's. As a NY Italian, suggesting that shiritake or spiralized veggies replaces pasta makes me sad :(. But then I don't think of noodles as pasta, they are two different things in my head!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Instead of typical UK portion of 75g I usually go with 50 or 60 then bulk it out with tomatoes/veg depending if hot or cold meal. Slightly less cals but not feeling too deprived! I noticed in France the suggested serving size on my bag of penne was 60g so not sure why it's so much more for us greedy Brits!!!

Weird -- is that dry? In the US it's generally 2 oz (56-57 g). That's plenty for me, although I also bulk it out with lots of veg in the sauce I made.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love spaghetti squash, but of course it's not really pasta and I don't think of it as a pasta substitute.

2 oz of pasta is plenty and not that high in calories. I eat it all the time with a homemade sauce with some sort of lean protein and lots of vegetables. Makes a perfectly reasonable calorie dinner, and delicious.

Exactly this.