Toppings for sweet potatoes?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    IMO almond butter is the BEST sweet potato topping. Also if you put in a little almond butter and marshmallow fluff and let it melt, then spread it, then top with some salt and cinnamon!!!! :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I must be weird because I love sweet potatoes plain.
  • jenlew217
    jenlew217 Posts: 2 Member
    I mash mine with pumpkin pie spice and honey. I use less then 1 tbsp of honey for 2 very large sweet potatoes. A little salt and they are really good.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Up until this post I've always just used I can't believe it's not butter light on my sweet potato... Wow this week is going to be fun trying all the new ideas considering I eat sweet potatoes at least 3 times a week
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    If you like it savory, I add black beans and salsa to mine. Or a dusting of salt, pepper, cinnamon, and ground red pepper.

I'll second the salsa sauce & black beans! I also like to top my sweet potato with tuna, chopped green onion, Dijon mustard & celery.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Peanut butter! (Careful - it's up to 100 calories per tablespoon / 16 grams.)

And if you're feeling creative: African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

I eat them plain sometimes also mostly when they've baked until they start to caramelize a little.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I love making mashed sweet potatoes:

Cut them into chunks and boil them. Drain and cool slightly. Add to food processor with some veggie broth, sour cream (use low-fat or fat-free if you want), red pepper flakes, salt, and whatever spices you like...

Last night, I boiled 1-inch cubes and instead of mashing them, I just mixed them up with some butter (1tbsp for 2 medium-sized taters), powdered sage, seasoned salt, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and a few drops of white truffle olive oil. It was INSANELY delicious.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Just because people like to eat other things doesn't mean they don't like them plain as well. The questioner asked what others like to add which is why people are giving those types of suggestions. I like adding some cinnamon and ginger to mine and even berries because they add antioxidants and additional vitamins.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    They are tasty cubed and cooked with smoked paprika salt and pepper with coconut or olive oil. Also good with avocado or salsa.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Chopped pecans are pretty good in there. Especially if your melt you a jumbo marshmallow on top!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I had some baked then cubed last night, with Penzey's Northwoods Fire seasoning, which has coarse flake salt, paprika, ground chipotle pepper, black pepper, cayenne red pepper, thyme, rosemary and granulated garlic.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Chopped pecans are pretty good in there. Especially if your melt you a jumbo marshmallow on top!

That sounds good!
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Tablespoon of honey, finely chopped spring onions, toasted pine nuts and crumbled up feta cheese
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Almond butter, bit of lemon/orange juice, maple syrup and cinnamon, definitely.

Cheese and black beans and avocado with some cayenne or hot sauce.

Hummus and mixed veggies.

Quorn escalope and veggies.

Leftover veggie curry or chilli or even stir fry.

I love sweet potatoes. <3
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    My favorite sweet potato topping is spicy breakfast sausage (cuts the overly sweet to me taste). With a bit of cottage cheese and some green onions, maybe some black beans and shredded Mexican cheese depending on how my macros are looking.
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    I like mine roasted topped with cinnamon and peanut butter.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I like them baked as is. They are sweet and don't need anything else.
    Sometimes, I cut them in cubes and roast them with other veggies. Then I use EVOO and salt and pepper.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Butter and cinnamon but add a little pecans and marshmallows and you have a nice makeshift sweet potato casserole. I’ve also been known to add cayenne pepper and/or paprika.
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Mashed with cayenne pepper :)