Help, waking up early

Options
2»

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I used to work 3rd shift and would always turn off my alarm clock and be hours late for work. I started locking my alarm clock in a small box with a combination lock. By the time I opened the box, I'd be awake enough to get my butt moving!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    As much as I'm not a morning person, I just did it anyway. I was up at 4:45 and at the gym by 5am. I liked that it was out of the way. Leaving work and being able to go veg on the couch for the rest of the evening was enough for me to want to keep doing it. However, I don't anymore because workout partner got his hours changed at work, so we have to go in the evenings.
  • EmyQ
    EmyQ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When your alarm goes off, do not think of anything just get up. Never press the snooze button. Make sure to have your bag ready and eat or drink something (Cofee/protein shake/ pre workout) that should be able to wake u up once you are on ur feet. It worked for me, next thing you know u will be waking up before ur alarm goes off.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh...but I sleep in my workout clothes. That way when I'm laying in bed arguing with myself to get up, I have one less reason why I shouldn't.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Don't laugh...but I sleep in my workout clothes. That way when I'm laying in bed arguing with myself to get up, I have one less reason why I shouldn't.

yes and trying to put on compression pants and sports bras in the morning is way too hard. :wink:
    i've been known to sleep in my running clothes too
  • jaybelovely
    jaybelovely Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but it's just a matter of willpower for me. I really want the benefits of a workout, so its a priority for me. I sort of mentally prepare myself for it before I go to bed each night, review what my workout will be, etc. I am excited to wake up and get after it!

I finally settled on a pattern the last few weeks: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday I get up at 5:15 and try to start my workout by 5:30. I give myself until 6:30 tops and then its "get ready for work" time! Its too hard to do every single day, so I am giving myself a break on Wednesdays now. I'll sleep in that extra hour to take the edge off midweek and recharge. I try to get in workouts on Saturday and Sunday, too, but those are easier since I can sleep in a bit more those days (I do still have 3 kids so I cant disappear too much!).

It takes like 3 weeks to develop a habit, so it'll be hard at first, but it should get easier after a while. Also, your body will adjust and you'll start going to bed earlier to compensate.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

This was by far the best response I received, especially with an example of days and such. I will definitely start this week and mix in a little bit earlier of sleep. I'm sure this will help. As well as the break in the middle of the week. Again, thank you for a thorough example!
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Options
    Don't snooze that only makes it worse!
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

This is AWESOME! I tried this once and still missed the gym (this was the beginning of my fitness lifestyle) but I'm sure it would help as well
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    EmyQ wrote: »
    When your alarm goes off, do not think of anything just get up. Never press the snooze button. Make sure to have your bag ready and eat or drink something (Cofee/protein shake/ pre workout) that should be able to wake u up once you are on ur feet. It worked for me, next thing you know u will be waking up before ur alarm goes off.

I usually stick to preworkout right before I head to the gym:) the hardest thing is not pressing the snooze button, you should look into that alarm rug as well!
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    AlanahBeez wrote: »
    Try your best to pretty much have a "bed time" set each night. And avoid that dang snooze button ;) hitting snooze actually makes it harder for you to wake up because it continuously interrupts the deep sleep you go back into. It's a habit to break and you'll be able to get up early in no time!

I'm starting the bedtime thing tonight! Hopefully that will start helping. I'm famous for the snooze button and need to break that habit. Thanks so much
  • queenjane1023
    queenjane1023 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've found that having everything ready really helps. I prepare my workout clothes, work clothes and lunch for the next day all before I go to bed. Also knowing that I'm likely to do better with my eating if I workout in the morning as opposed to at night, helps out with the willpower thing. I have had to literally talk myself out of bed many times.
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    I've found that having everything ready really helps. I prepare my workout clothes, work clothes and lunch for the next day all before I go to bed. Also knowing that I'm likely to do better with my eating if I workout in the morning as opposed to at night, helps out with the willpower thing. I have had to literally talk myself out of bed many times.

Thanks for your response! Hopefully I can kick my butt in gear. Just gotta make a few changes in the schedule. Especially with foods
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My daughter owns a coffee shop and gets up every morning at 4:30. She definitely goes to bed way earlier than the rest of the world.
  • kaellyn
    kaellyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) Even on your "days off," get up at the same time. You can always go back to bed after a few minutes, but by waking up at the same time every single day, you train your body.

2) Get a kid. They never let you sleep in.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been an early riser for years (normally 0430) - work related, not initially by desire - but now I'm almost wired that way. Here's what works for me:
    - Setting a schedule and keeping it without too much deviation on weekends (I rarely sleep in, because it throws me out of whack for the following day/night)
    - avoiding caffeine after noon
    - I do do the whole two-alarm thing with one outside of arms reach (makes me get up).
    - Rarely need the above but when I do - I just "suffer" through the rest of the day (no naps, etc.) because getting off schedule becomes a spiraling negative effect for me.
    - Prepping everything the night before: clothes, meals, etc. (I just feel better knowing I'm ready).
    - Dark & quiet room, avoid TV, iPod, etc. for around 30ish minutes before bed.

I'm a firm believer in what some have called the Performance Triad (Exercise, Nutrition, Sleep). I think they're all related and impact the others - both positively & negatively. Get some exercise, makes me what to eat well, and then I usually sleep well. If one of them gets thrown out of whack, I tend to stumble in the others (didn't sleep well, don't feel like exercising so don't, then make poor food choices...) - unless I just "suck it up" and then it seems to self-correct (didn't sleep well, don't feel like exercising - but do anyways, not a great workout but something, well I worked out so I feel like "not wasting it with poor food choices", usually sleep better the next night & "back in business".

Good Luck!
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options

2) Get a kid. They never let you sleep in.[/quote]

Until they're teenagers....

Now, my dog? He does not understand weekends & always wants his morning meal at same time - regardless of the day!