Mom has Stage 4 kidney failure any Diet Plan Ideas?

Options

Replies

• JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Renal diets are always individualized so I would wait to talk to the RD. I hope she will reconsider dialysis - it really is the best treatment at this stage of the disease.
  • emcclain951
    emcclain951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Renal diets are always individualized so I would wait to talk to the RD. I hope she will reconsider dialysis - it really is the best treatment at this stage of the disease.
    I hope so too! Tomorrow is the big day..

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could share what her medical providers have recommended for diet, then people could suggest recipes. For example, if you said my mom needs lots of spinach, eggs, and chicken, you would get s ton of ideas. Also check out the recipes forum here on MFP.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    good luck, I have had cancer patients with CKD and it was hard to find ways to keep their nutrition up. There seemed to be so many food issues do to the limitations. She will be talking to the experts. There may be cook books designed for this disease we seem to have them for every other condition.
    She is lucky she has your support it is important!
  • emcclain951
    Options
    Thank you @Pinkylee77
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    My mother was able to avoid dialysis for many years by eating a diet low in animal protein and low in salt. The nutrition recommendations are going to vary depending on the exact condition, so a visit with a dietitian is a must.

My mom had a transplant two years ago and she was very lucky to be able to avoid dialysis entirely. This is really rare.

At some point, the choice becomes dialysis, transplant or death. That is stage 5.

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If she is able, there are home dialysis options. Stage 4 is a great time to learn about options to include transplant. Stage 5 is the time to plan towards and start an option. The timing and modality should be a shared decision.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ask the doctor's office is this looks right for your mother:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002442.htm
    When eating fruits:
    Choose peaches, grapes, pears, cherries, apples, berries, pineapple, plums, tangerines, and watermelon
    Limit or avoid oranges and orange juice, nectarines, Kiwis, raisins or other dried fruit, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, prunes, and nectarines

When eating vegetables:
    Choose broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, eggplant, green and wax beans, lettuce, onion, peppers, watercress, zucchini, and yellow squash
    Limit or avoid asparagus, avocado, potatoes, tomatoes or tomato sauce, winter squash, pumpkin, avocado, and cooked spinach

Good luck to her and your family. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    low carb, low protein, high healthy fats. Dandelion root and milk thistle. 20/20/60.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned this site...

https://www.davita.com/kidney-disease/diet-and-nutrition/lifestyle/stage-4-kidney-disease-diet:-focusing-on-nutrition/e/7938

They have a recipe site that might help you once you find out what your mother's restrictions are.
  • emcclain951
    Options
    Yes we got our list of Do's & Don't ... I will definitely check out that site thank you @Annie_01
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) has free educational booklets and a free magazine subscription.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    The American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) has free educational booklets and a free magazine subscription.

That is nice to know, for my patients Thank you!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Her team will be able to provide the areas of focus for her and can direct you to where you might find recipes, but they aren't too much help in the day to day planning of meals. My husband is Stage 5 and on Home Hemodialysis while we await transplant.

The Davita site has been great as there is an option to seperate out the recipes for CKD, dialysis and diabetes patients. I also have used the Kidney Kitchen Connection on The Kidney Foundation of Canada's website as well as a group of cookbooks done by my husband's dietician and a team here in Canada that you can find on the Spice It Up website.

I have found as I got used to the types of foods that he could have I am getting better with recipes out of our regular cookbooks and making the changes necessary for him to enjoy. I do all the cooking for him, most weekends are spent making food for the week as it can be a lot of work to deal with in the evening when I get home from work.

Feel free to add me if you want, always available for any questions.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    AlethaMary wrote: »
    Her team will be able to provide the areas of focus for her and can direct you to where you might find recipes, but they aren't too much help in the day to day planning of meals. My husband is Stage 5 and on Home Hemodialysis while we await transplant.

The Davita site has been great as there is an option to seperate out the recipes for CKD, dialysis and diabetes patients. I also have used the Kidney Kitchen Connection on The Kidney Foundation of Canada's website as well as a group of cookbooks done by my husband's dietician and a team here in Canada that you can find on the Spice It Up website.

I have found as I got used to the types of foods that he could have I am getting better with recipes out of our regular cookbooks and making the changes necessary for him to enjoy. I do all the cooking for him, most weekends are spent making food for the week as it can be a lot of work to deal with in the evening when I get home from work.

Feel free to add me if you want, always available for any questions.

Thanks for the Spice It Up website. I am trying to keep my sodium at around 1200 so I am always looking for lower sodium recipes...great site!

For those that are interested here is the site...

http://www.myspiceitup.ca/recipes.htm
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good diet plan/recipes to help reverse it's stage 4 kidney disease? My mom was just diagnosed and doesn't want to do dialysis. The whole family is trying to get healthy and keep each other motivated to live a healthier lifestyle.

EMCCLAIN951, I don't have any advice, but can let you know that you're not alone! My diabetic mother was told last week that she has renal manifestation, which is early stage kidney failure. I have struggled with helping her to understand how her lifestyle choices (ie diet and lack of exercise, as well as smoking) have poorly impacted her health and ability to get her diabetes under control. I am at the end of my rope with her, and her doctor sees it. He's given her a 6 month plan to get her diabetes under control or will be recommended she go into assisted living. Not knowing your mom's history or personal situation, I just want to let you know you have my support and best wishes that your plan to help your mom is received and implemented by her and with the guidance of her care team, I truly hope you make some positive changes and have a good impact. Best of luck and stay strong and focused!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you need to speak to a registered dietician.

I cared for my grandfather in S4 kidney disease until his passing. There are a lot of food restrictions.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Look up the Gerson Therapy! It's highly successful in treating disease and repairing the body through nutrition and cleansing! Please, please look into it!