Binge eaters out there needing support

Options
To all of you binge eaters out there who might be interested in communicating with others, please feel free to add me! Do not waste your time reading past that first sentence, unless you want to know a little more about me.

This is the first time that I have started a thread, and I didn't come to MFP with the intention of using it as a form of social media or ever making my diary public (still not sure that I want to do that), but I could really use the support right now. I have been having major issues with binge eating since mid-December, and am unable to stop. Binge eating is something I have lived with for a long time (I used to even have issues with sleep eating!), but I feel that social support, especially from those who can relate, might really help me. I have joined an in-person support group I'm going to start going to soon as well, but it would be great to have something virtual since binges happen randomly and not just one week out of the month.

I'm a 28 year old female grad school student at a healthy weight. I'd be glad to provide you with more information about myself in a personal message. Thanks, and sorry for rambling!

Replies

• shannonmaria
    shannonmaria Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this! I binged on junk this evening and am feeling guilty. I came on here to look for tips or support from others who have the same issue. I'm feeling bummed because I did great all day up until now. I'm trying to figure out what made me do it. IDK if it's because there was a Danish and some doughnuts someone brought in at work today that I respectfully declined, or if it's because things got a stressful towards the end of my work day and I'm still feeling it even though I'm home now. Hard to snap out of.........
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel, too. It is so frustrating, to feel like you've done such a great job and suddenly you snap. I don't know what it is for me, but I think I do it to relieve stress. Today, I waited until my husband took a nap and then I went in the kitchen and made four pounds of pudding and ate it all standing up. For me, that is on the low end of the binge spectrum, but I knew it would quickly escalate so I thought maybe I would see if anyone else felt similarly. Thanks for replying, it's nice to not feel so alone in this!
  • shannonmaria
    Options
    My husband made a healthy dinner of turkey kielbasa, sweet potatoes, and a spinach salad. He left for work shortly after dinner. Then I proceeded to eat 3 Oreos, a small bag of Doritos, a packet of trailmix, a Fiber One bar, and had a handful of salad croutons. I ate like 900 extra calories :/ You are definitely not alone!!!
    I've been on and off MFP for the past few years. I started back up exercising and logging my food faithfully for the past 9 days. It's been going pretty well up until this evening. I'm just gonna get back on track starting now :)
  • ab6046
    Options
    That sounds like the best thing to do! I'm going to do the same. If ever you need to chat, don't hesitate to message me!
  • shannonmaria
    Options
    Thank you! Same to you!!!
  • ab6046
    Options
    Bump
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever had full blown BED, but I definitely used to over-eat to self-soothe.

For me:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    3. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well
  • ab6046
    Options
    Thank you, I think I will have to try yoga!
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been binge eating for years but it's really out of control at the min. I have good intentions and get towards the eve and I just binge and sabatage myself. I'm now at my biggest, feeling really low can't see a way out
  • luntyp
    luntyp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried a medication?
  • juliahurt05
    juliahurt05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am a binge eater. I will go for months without binging then out of the blue I start. I started back to binge eating a few weeks ago when my daughter started selling Girl Scout cookies. I have eaten 3 boxes of them without even realizing I've done it till it's too late.

Hopefully having this group will help.
  • lauravilchis
    lauravilchis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how that goes
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I think my trigger is deprivation. If I have a craving, I have a small portion of whatever it is. I find the longer I resist my cravings, the worse it gets, and then I go overboard BIG TIME.
  • Lilredcat
    Lilredcat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Binge eater here. I cannot just open a box of crackers and eat one or two... it is like they (the crackers) call to me and suddenly there I am holding this empty box and my lips and fingers are stinging from the salt. Annndddd I want more. So I get a drink then go to the cupboard for phase 2. And so it goes. I hate it. I flip flop from eating nothing and only drinking tea all day to eating sensibly then chowing down like it is the end of the world at the end of the day. Three years ago I lost nearly 30 pounds and was at my goal weight. But then pizza here and summer bbq there plus binging at night and now I weigh more than ever. I am a comfort eater and carbs are like cuddly blankets that help me feel better. I am afraid of going in antidepressants because people gain weight on those ---- so no, I do not think any medications will help with this. Too bad I cannot just wrap myself in carbs instead of stuffing them into myself. My husband and oldest son are binge eaters too. I have to hide the Goldfish crackers from my 8 year old or else he will literally chow down on the whole bag. So even if one of us (me usually) is trying to stick to the diet or healthier eating the other brings out cookies to the couch at night and how oh how to ignore the cookies sitting right next to you.....
  • ab6046
    Options
    It's so reassuring to hear that other people are dealing with this (not that I would wish it one anyone!) I think it's great that we can support each other.

I think identifying triggers is very important as well. Also, interesting question about the medication. Ironically, I did try something over ten years ago. I believe it was called Campral. The crazy thing is...it worked. I no longer felt the urge to binge. Strangely, that really disturbed me because I didn't know what to do with myself so I stopped taking it almost immediately. I think so much of my identity and coping is wrapped up in this and has been forever, that I just didn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't constantly thinking about or eating food. I've thought about it rectory though, and think maybe it's time to give it another go. I spend so much time obsessing over binging and would really like to stop.

I'm going to add you all, although obviously you don't need to accept! Feel free to message me anytime. Thanks again for the support.
  • ab6046
    Options
    *recently, not rectory!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I've been binge eating for years but it's really out of control at the min. I have good intentions and get towards the eve and I just binge and sabatage myself. I'm now at my biggest, feeling really low can't see a way out

How many calories have you eaten before you start to binge? If people severely undereat during the day they may be setting themself up for a binge at night.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Lilredcat wrote: »
    Binge eater here. I cannot just open a box of crackers and eat one or two... it is like they (the crackers) call to me and suddenly there I am holding this empty box and my lips and fingers are stinging from the salt. Annndddd I want more. So I get a drink then go to the cupboard for phase 2. And so it goes. I hate it. I flip flop from eating nothing and only drinking tea all day to eating sensibly then chowing down like it is the end of the world at the end of the day. Three years ago I lost nearly 30 pounds and was at my goal weight. But then pizza here and summer bbq there plus binging at night and now I weigh more than ever. I am a comfort eater and carbs are like cuddly blankets that help me feel better. I am afraid of going in antidepressants because people gain weight on those ---- so no, I do not think any medications will help with this. Too bad I cannot just wrap myself in carbs instead of stuffing them into myself. My husband and oldest son are binge eaters too. I have to hide the Goldfish crackers from my 8 year old or else he will literally chow down on the whole bag. So even if one of us (me usually) is trying to stick to the diet or healthier eating the other brings out cookies to the couch at night and how oh how to ignore the cookies sitting right next to you.....

I never eat out of boxes or bags anymore. I weigh out a portion, put the container away (which means out of sight,) log it, and eat it.

Could you ask the cookie eaters to just bring their portion to the couch and not the whole container?
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Here's what helps me stay on my food plan/avoid binges: eat 5 smaller meals per day with plenty of protein and fats so I don't get too hungry and eat sufficient calories so I don't feel too hungry (for me this is 1500 or so depending on level of exercise and leads to 1 to .5 pound loss per week), don't eat the foods that for me that trigger binging (for me this is sugary, white flour type foods); exercise (I feel better physically and mentally), take care of my emotional/spiritual health (like yoga or whatever else works for you). While some people can eat a little of this or that, never has worked for me. After about 30 days off my trigger foods I no longer crave them which is a blessing. I have a lot of will power just not with certain foods. I think this is a personal choice, some people do great with the little tastes, but for me just sets me off.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I never could understand the point of goldfish crackers -- why bother having them in the house?