Dogs "sabotaging" weight loss.

Options
Coley88
Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
My dogs are brats and anytime I try and exercise around the house, they like to get in the way and lay down right where I'm trying to work out.

Just now, I was getting ready to go to the gym, I pulled my shoes out of the closest and went to the bathroom. When I came out, I couldn't find my right shoe. After ten minutes of looking, I discovered that one of my dogs stole it and was laying on top of it. They're lucky that they're cute! :D

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    your dogs would probably appreciate going on a walk or run with you.

my dogs get excited when they see me put my shoes on.....
  • Coley88
    Options

My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My dog usually always wants to play when I start my workout. What helps is getting her interested in a toy, and then just back away. She ends up playing with her toy right next to me, and I can do my workout in peace. :)
    If toys don't work, try a chewing treat.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your dogs could use some training.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you tried one of those Kongs that drops a treat every so often while they play with it?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Take them for a walk one at a time.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    Mine nearly killed me when I first started working out a couple years ago. I was trying to do a dance video for a fun change... he decided to dance with me. Between my legs. Throwing me off balance and I nearly fell into the TV stand and then onto the coffee table. Luckily I missed all the hard objects and sharp corners and just landed on the floor where he then proceeded to give me kisses.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Take them on walks separately. And consider training for the second dog. My dogs are absolutely amazing partners in my weight loss, I call my Labrador retriever my "personal trainer" because he takes -0- excuses for missing a walk. Today we walked 4 miles in snow cross-country. It was wonderful.
  • Coley88
    Options
    Walking them separately isn't really option. Honestly this was meant more as joke thread because they're goofy and just love attention.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    My dogs are brats and anytime I try and exercise around the house, they like to get in the way and lay down right where I'm trying to work out.

Just now, I was getting ready to go to the gym, I pulled my shoes out of the closest and went to the bathroom. When I came out, I couldn't find my right shoe. After ten minutes of looking, I discovered that one of my dogs stole it and was laying on top of it. They're lucky that they're cute! :D

Hahaha my cats are thieves like this.

My dog actually helps with weight loss. I can't say now to those cute eyes when he wants to share my food lol.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My dog is very caring and helpful with my weight loss/exercising. If I'm trying to do a push up he'll crawl below me to help me back up, or if I'm doing a side plank, he'll try to knock me over to improve my stability. He even noticed I needed new running shoes so he kindly chewed my old ones to pieces so I had no choice but to buy a new pair. He even tries to eat my food in an attempt to stop me from over eating! And not to mention all the extra steps I get when he breaks out of the house and I have to chase him around the neighborhood. (Who needs a personal trainer when you have a helpful dog like mine!)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

A couple times a week? I take mine out a couple times a day, at the very least once a day. Otherwise they'd just eat and sleep and live a boring, unexciting existence :disappointed:
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This was my view doing crunches the other day! wa1qv1b6cl3c.jpg
  • Coley88
    Options

A couple times a week? I take mine out a couple times a day, at the very least once a day. Otherwise they'd just eat and sleep and live a boring, unexciting existence :disappointed:
    My dogs have a huge backyard that they spend most of the day running around and playing in. So they definitely don't "just eat and sleep" and have a boring existence.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I get the stink eye from my dog when I get on the treadmill. She's pretty sure it's hers. She's even tried running on it with me. We nearly both fell off. :laugh:
  • Coley88
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    What a cutie!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My dog is all about cardio (walks), but not so much with the resistance training. She does make a good foam roller, though, and sometimes I prop my legs up on her to get a deeper stretch.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Take each dog for a separate walk if you can't walk both at once.

If they are in your way while your working out in your living room then shut them in a different room until your done. ( I put my dogs on my bed and have a mat on the floor with food and water and treats and toys and then shut the door. They are fine laying on a bed for a while if I'm busy )
    Or buy a dog crate. I've crate trained all my dogs. We don't need crates anymore but if they where still misbehaving then I would surely have crates up. There's nothing wrong with crating a dog for a short period of time ( I do not believe in crating for extended time periods though )
    If you want something bad enough , you'll find a way to do it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There have been many times that I've been on the floor stretching and my dog just comes up and drops her toy on my lap or feet or butt. She's also fond of sneaking up and licking me in the face. :p
    But once I grab the weights she knows to leave the room.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »

im jealous