Coley88 wrote: »
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg
    @Coley88 I need to see a photo of your dogs I'm order to give you advice

Adorable! If they are anything like mine, they think they are little baby lap dogs instead of the big dogs that they are. Maybe try carrying them around for exercise lol

They definitely do think they're tiny lap dogs lol. I actually do carry Luna(the white one) around the house and up and down the stairs. In addition to all three of us doing laps around the yard as well as inside the house, which is 3 levels so it gets a decent workout in.

What breed? How heavy is Luna? She looks so much like my rescue. They labelled her as a 'bull terrier.' She is stubborn and a terror, so it could be close.

She's muddy from running in the puddles at the dog park here, but you can see the similarities:

rz1v86zdosgb.jpg

I honestly have no idea what breed Luna is, she was a shelter dog and they said she was coon hound/German Shepard, but she is very obviously not a German Shepard. She weighs about 70lbs, she's long and lanky. Her records at the vet have her listed as "tri-colored mix" :D Mason they have listed as "Cattle dog mix." He's extremely smart and does try and "herd" us at times, so I definitely see that. My poor Luna is extremely sweet, but not very bright.

Awe. Mine's about half that weight and absolutely brilliant. I taught her to open the baby gate when I was bringing a load of laundry up the stairs (if I leave it unclipped, she can't open it when it's safety locked). She's brilliant, but gets into so much trouble because of it. I've had people guess pitbull, Jack Russell, and coon hound. The rescue agency had her listed as blue heeler, and the passport (she's from Mexico) says bull terrier. She is terrier of some type for sure.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    your dogs would probably appreciate going on a walk or run with you.

my dogs get excited when they see me put my shoes on.....
    My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

A couple times a week? I take mine out a couple times a day, at the very least once a day. Otherwise they'd just eat and sleep and live a boring, unexciting existence :disappointed:

^^what she said^^ A dog requires a better commitment than 2 walks a week. My lab is my best motivator to get me moving. Behavioral problems usually stem from boredom and I agree, some training would help. I use an Easy Walk harness on my dog, it eliminates the pulling although she has finally learned to heel on and off leash.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

A couple times a week? I take mine out a couple times a day, at the very least once a day. Otherwise they'd just eat and sleep and live a boring, unexciting existence :disappointed:

^^what she said^^ A dog requires a better commitment than 2 walks a week. My lab is my best motivator to get me moving. Behavioral problems usually stem from boredom and I agree, some training would help. I use an Easy Walk harness on my dog, it eliminates the pulling although she has finally learned to heel on and off leash.

:+1:

That was one of the deal breakers when my husband and I were discussing getting a dog years ago. If we cant be bothered walking them most everyday then we wouldn't bother getting a dog at all.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Walking them separately isn't really option.
    Why can't you walk them separately? It would actually be very good for them.

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ctyc3c9lhwma.jpg
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg
    @Coley88 I need to see a photo of your dogs I'm order to give you advice

Adorable! If they are anything like mine, they think they are little baby lap dogs instead of the big dogs that they are. Maybe try carrying them around for exercise lol

They definitely do think they're tiny lap dogs lol. I actually do carry Luna(the white one) around the house and up and down the stairs. In addition to all three of us doing laps around the yard as well as inside the house, which is 3 levels so it gets a decent workout in.

What breed? How heavy is Luna? She looks so much like my rescue. They labelled her as a 'bull terrier.' She is stubborn and a terror, so it could be close.

She's muddy from running in the puddles at the dog park here, but you can see the similarities:

rz1v86zdosgb.jpg

I honestly have no idea what breed Luna is, she was a shelter dog and they said she was coon hound/German Shepard, but she is very obviously not a German Shepard. She weighs about 70lbs, she's long and lanky. Her records at the vet have her listed as "tri-colored mix" :D Mason they have listed as "Cattle dog mix." He's extremely smart and does try and "herd" us at times, so I definitely see that. My poor Luna is extremely sweet, but not very bright.

Luna looks like an English Pointer I had many years ago. Also incredibly sweet, but not very bright. :)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My dogs are more than happy to help me. In fact, they will gladly make food disappear, just to ensure I'm not tempted to overeat.

They also love walks but unfortunately there's salt all over the place so we can only lap the yard and go for drives to change the scenery. Can't wait for spring.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My dogs are more than happy to help me. In fact, they will gladly make food disappear, just to ensure I'm not tempted to overeat.

They also love walks but unfortunately there's salt all over the place so we can only lap the yard and go for drives to change the scenery. Can't wait for spring.

Are there any walking/hiking trails near you? Most of the people I see on the trails I use are there with their dogs. We got about 6" of snow last week and cross country skiiers packed down the trail. Plus the other hikers.
  • kshama2001
    Options

That was one of the deal breakers when my husband and I were discussing getting a dog years ago. If we cant be bothered walking them most everyday then we wouldn't bother getting a dog at all.

The deal breaker for my fiance and me is that he firmly believes dogs should be outdoor pets and I firmly believe that they are pack animals who should be inside with their pack :(
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs, only one decides he must join. He's a ball obsessed lab so when he sees me doing my workouts, he gets excited and grabs a ball. Since I like to do at home workouts (Jillian Michaels is my go to), I incorporate fetch with the workout when I can; squat-grab ball-stand-throw ball. Repeat. It's a win win because he gets extra ball time in and it keeps my workout interesting lol. If he wasn't trained to drop the ball at my feet it wouldn't work though!

If all else fails, he's trained to go in his kennel or "go lay down" on command.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The deal breaker for my fiance and me is that he firmly believes dogs should be outdoor pets and I firmly believe that they are pack animals who should be inside with their pack :(

100% agree with you @kshama2001 . If they're good enough to be my pets, then they're good enough to come in and share my home!!

Anyways, I don't completely want to derail this this thread with my bug bears. These debates are better suited to the dog forums I belong to.

• beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My dog got in the way and kept barking and wagging his tail when I tried doing down ups (basic burpees) at home. It bummed me out because I enjoyed doing them and was going to put them into my daily routine. I think he licks my face when I try doing push-ups.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    redd_87 wrote: »
    I have 3 dogs, only one decides he must join. He's a ball obsessed lab so when he sees me doing my workouts, he gets excited and grabs a ball. Since I like to do at home workouts (Jillian Michaels is my go to), I incorporate fetch with the workout when I can; squat-grab ball-stand-throw ball. Repeat. It's a win win because he gets extra ball time in and it keeps my workout interesting lol. If he wasn't trained to drop the ball at my feet it wouldn't work though!

If all else fails, he's trained to go in his kennel or "go lay down" on command.

I sometimes borrow my neighbor's Shih Tzu and play fetch with her for a while. That is surprisingly tiring.
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

redd_87 wrote: »

I sometimes borrow my neighbor's Shih Tzu and play fetch with her for a while. That is surprisingly tiring.

It is! We're pretty active in general, but I'm sure if this dog had his way he'd play fetch til his heart stopped. I have to limit him to 30-60 minute increments mostly because he needs to take rests, but also because my arms need rest too!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Are there any walking/hiking trails near you? Most of the people I see on the trails I use are there with their dogs. We got about 6" of snow last week and cross country skiiers packed down the trail. Plus the other hikers.

I wish but the forest service blocks them as soon as it snows and won't move the gates until after it melts. Probably longer as the trails will be thick mud for a while.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    LOL. I can only wish I had dogs again. I miss my German Shepherd's. They have both passed on. I would give anything to have two dogs that love me as much as your dogs love you. Maybe you can get them a leash and take them both for a walk what a happy family how beautiful to hear that they love you so much what fun!!!
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My dog likes to help particularly when I have to do anything on the floor. He likes to lay down and rest his head on my chest and look at me with adoration
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! My dog thinks it's fascinating when I do yoga, sometimes he even does the "down dog" pose with me, haha
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My big ole baby girl had figured out that, while I'm doing 100's, if she lies very close to me and is on her back, she can get 100 belly rubs.
    My big boy (64 kgs) just like to sit on whatever is on the floor. No pilates/yoga happening with him around.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Sorry, but this for me borders on neglect. A couple of walks per week???? Even worse bevcause one of these dogs looks like a pointer and these dogs need their exercise :(
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    12373299_10153171012982120_5900512764178801722_n.jpg?oh=63a95d50948771290eca1e279ea71023&oe=573CFAB0

Hey, you aren't exercising without us, are you? ARE you?