Dogs "sabotaging" weight loss.

Options

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My dog is very caring and helpful with my weight loss/exercising. If I'm trying to do a push up he'll crawl below me to help me back up, or if I'm doing a side plank, he'll try to knock me over to improve my stability. He even noticed I needed new running shoes so he kindly chewed my old ones to pieces so I had no choice but to buy a new pair. He even tries to eat my food in an attempt to stop me from over eating! And not to mention all the extra steps I get when he breaks out of the house and I have to chase him around the neighborhood. (Who needs a personal trainer when you have a helpful dog like mine!)

Cute story! Well written.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @Coley88 I need to see a photo of your dogs I'm order to give you advice
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My dog is very caring and helpful with my weight loss/exercising. If I'm trying to do a push up he'll crawl below me to help me back up, or if I'm doing a side plank, he'll try to knock me over to improve my stability. He even noticed I needed new running shoes so he kindly chewed my old ones to pieces so I had no choice but to buy a new pair. He even tries to eat my food in an attempt to stop me from over eating! And not to mention all the extra steps I get when he breaks out of the house and I have to chase him around the neighborhood. (Who needs a personal trainer when you have a helpful dog like mine!)

Cute story! Well written.

Thank you! :smiley:
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Make 'em get in their cage.

BmMNKCj.gif
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Take each dog for a separate walk if you can't walk both at once.

If they are in your way while your working out in your living room then shut them in a different room until your done. ( I put my dogs on my bed and have a mat on the floor with food and water and treats and toys and then shut the door. They are fine laying on a bed for a while if I'm busy )
    Or buy a dog crate. I've crate trained all my dogs. We don't need crates anymore but if they where still misbehaving then I would surely have crates up. There's nothing wrong with crating a dog for a short period of time ( I do not believe in crating for extended time periods though )
    If you want something bad enough , you'll find a way to do it.
    Considering I'm pretty much at goal weight, I think I found a way to do it. :p

When they stole my shoe today it made me think of a thread a few months back when someone wrote about their dog stealing one of their lifting gloves.
  • Coley88
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    There have been many times that I've been on the floor stretching and my dog just comes up and drops her toy on my lap or feet or butt. She's also fond of sneaking up and licking me in the face. :p
    But once I grab the weights she knows to leave the room.

If I do anything with actual weights at home they just sit and watch. It's more if I'm stretching or doing body weight exercises that they think it's play time.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    My dogs are brats and anytime I try and exercise around the house, they like to get in the way and lay down right where I'm trying to work out.

Just now, I was getting ready to go to the gym, I pulled my shoes out of the closest and went to the bathroom. When I came out, I couldn't find my right shoe. After ten minutes of looking, I discovered that one of my dogs stole it and was laying on top of it. They're lucky that they're cute! :D

Whenever my dogs do something that drives me crazy I just think one day I'll be wishing they were driving me crazy. But on a serious note whenever I have to do something, cleaning, etc., around the house and I don't want them underfoot they just go in their crates.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Dave (boy cat) used to love to "help" me do any sort of mat work but it was the novelty because I didn't do it much. Now I just get judgementally stared at by all three at various times as they try and snooze on the cat tree but my bouncing abut wobbles the tree thus disturbing them. Betty in particular gives me the best withering "what a stupid human, what is she even doing" looks.
  • Coley88
    Options
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg

• Coley88
    Options
    Dave (boy cat) used to love to "help" me do any sort of mat work but it was the novelty because I didn't do it much. Now I just get judgementally stared at by all three at various times as they try and snooze on the cat tree but my bouncing abut wobbles the tree thus disturbing them. Betty in particular gives me the best withering "what a stupid human, what is she even doing" looks.
    Betty, made me think of this. mdlb99eqt34s.jpeg

• ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg

Adorable! If they are anything like mine, they think they are little baby lap dogs instead of the big dogs that they are. Maybe try carrying them around for exercise lol
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I crate my puppy; plus when my husband and I work out its early in the morning and she's still sleeping. She's very young and is almost 4 months. So glad we crate trained here for night sleeping. usthkkk1hbd1.jpeg
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I crate my puppy; plus when my husband and I work out its early in the morning and she's still sleeping. She's very young and is almost 4 months. So glad we crate trained here for night sleeping. usthkkk1hbd1.jpeg

Well, that's a lab! Is there any other choice besides a crate! Lol. I have a black one also.
  • Coley88
    Options
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg

Adorable! If they are anything like mine, they think they are little baby lap dogs instead of the big dogs that they are. Maybe try carrying them around for exercise lol

They definitely do think they're tiny lap dogs lol. I actually do carry Luna(the white one) around the house and up and down the stairs. In addition to all three of us doing laps around the yard as well as inside the house, which is 3 levels so it gets a decent workout in.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg

They definitely do think they're tiny lap dogs lol. I actually do carry Luna(the white one) around the house and up and down the stairs. In addition to all three of us doing laps around the yard as well as inside the house, which is 3 levels so it gets a decent workout in.

What breed? How heavy is Luna? She looks so much like my rescue. They labelled her as a 'bull terrier.' She is stubborn and a terror, so it could be close.

She's muddy from running in the puddles at the dog park here, but you can see the similarities:

rz1v86zdosgb.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    this is pita. her name stands for ' pain in the *kitten* ' and she lives up to it daily. and shes my running buddy ;)

jfrxsfkemxw4.jpg
  • Coley88
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg

What breed? How heavy is Luna? She looks so much like my rescue. They labelled her as a 'bull terrier.' She is stubborn and a terror, so it could be close.

She's muddy from running in the puddles at the dog park here, but you can see the similarities:

rz1v86zdosgb.jpg

I honestly have no idea what breed Luna is, she was a shelter dog and they said she was coon hound/German Shepard, but she is very obviously not a German Shepard. She weighs about 70lbs, she's long and lanky. Her records at the vet have her listed as "tri-colored mix" :D Mason they have listed as "Cattle dog mix." He's extremely smart and does try and "herd" us at times, so I definitely see that. My poor Luna is extremely sweet, but not very bright.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lol my cat always gets in the way of my workouts. I'll go to do a lunge and nearly step on him cause he's sprawled out on his back right in front of me! That's usually when I bust out the catnip and sprinkle it all over his bed in the corner out of the way.
  • Coley88
    Options
    this is pita. her name stands for ' pain in the *kitten* ' and she lives up to it daily. and shes my running buddy ;)

jfrxsfkemxw4.jpg

She's adorable! Luna is great on the leash when we're actually full out running, it's when we're casually walking that she's a brat and tries to befriend anything and everything and gets distracted.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    your dogs would probably appreciate going on a walk or run with you.

my dogs get excited when they see me put my shoes on.....
    My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

I had a rescue husky who was a terrible puller when we first got him. OMG could he pull. I walked him a half mile in the AM and up to 2 miles at night and my ex used to take him to dog park during the day. He became the bestest dog in the world but sadly died young of cancer.