Keto+PCOS+over 40

Options
Hi! I began the KETO diet last month and am continuing the journey. I have begun blogging my experience but want to share with other ladies who are determined to work through the challenges that PCOS bring while supporting one another. Let's work together so we can do this!

Replies

• nikando1
    nikando1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning keto myself!
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • wesheets
    Options
    So here it is Tuesday. I recalculated my macros on Monday morning as the precious recalc didn't help in the weight drop department. Now, many will say don't watch the scale and measure. To you I say I did measure when I started and then Monday morning. Measurements are negligible. I sort of so IF (intermittent fasting) because I'm not really hungry in the morning. I drink two cups of coffee. One with HWC and a splash of flavored creamer, and one with flavored creamer. Most of my carbs come in the form of the creamer and I own that. It makes each day an automatic 9 carbs. I do count net carbs which I think can be modified in the for pay Premium MFP. I may pay for that. But for now I log my net carbs in the notes app when I remember to. It's gross carbs minus fiber. So an avocado may be 16 gross carbs but has 13 grams of fiber for a total of 3 net carbs. This is why avocados are good on this diet! Lol.
    At any rate yesterday I wasn't hungry until 1. I had two "meals" yesterday where I had a total of just over 1000 calories. My goal is 1309. At first it was 1800 something. Remember I lost 6 lbs at that rate. My TDEE and BMR was 2100 and I reduced by 15%. You can find TDEE calculators online to figure yours. Then I lowered it to 1600 something. That produced nothing. Now it's 1309 and I gained over night.
    Uber focused KETO-ers will say to "trust the process" and it's about how you feel and how your clothes fit. Many will claim changes in size even if the scale doesn't move. There are so many little variables there: how much fat they eat, how much protein, if they exercise, their starting weight, and so on. So, I acknowledge that I should trust the process otherwise I wouldn't keep trying. BUT......I am so irritated! I gained overnight. My starting weight was 221.6. I was 215.6 for two weeks......and now 216.5. Come on!!!
    I am still going to figure out my body. I don't care if it takes a long time. I'm irritated enough to continue to be a glutton for punishment if it produces results.
    Exercise. I have 4 kiddos at home, work from home, and have a special needs kid so I'm busy. I can say that and there will still be those who think I'm making excuses. Walk a mile then tell me where I can fit in exercise. I still get up at night with one and that means my energy level should be low. If I can give kudos to this way of eating AT ALL is that over the course of the month I'm not as drained when I'm exhausted, don't have intense sugar cravings, or many cravings really, and am overall less moody. For a PCOS person that is extraordinary.
  • klrmlr
    klrmlr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started keto, as well. I think you might actually be eating too little and you may be experiencing issues from the creamer because it probably contains sugar. Have you tried adding heavy cream to your coffee? I went from having a dunkin iced coffee with cream and SIX splenda to drinking iced coffee with heavy cream -- huge adjustment. Took about 2 weeks to be okay with it. I understand your frustration with the scale. The first week, I dropped 9 pounds and then nothing the second. Trying to give my body some time to adjust to the new way of eating.
  • wesheets
    Options
    Oh well....I was using creamer only but added HWC which actually aided in the weight loss. My total carbs went down by 9 right off the bat! Lol.

I only ate 1000 yesterday while hitting my calories every other day.

I hope that clarifies
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the main low-carber forum group in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles hang out; however, there are several LCHF members who also have an deal with PCOS so by all means re-post your original post there and you will find the support you are looking for:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • wesheets
    Options
    Thanks lady poet.

So,my TDEE is 2100 or so. Therefore I first dropped my cals 15% and initially lost weight. Then I felt my loss stalled so I dropped it again for a day to 1609 and now I dropped it 35% to 1309 and I've been gaining weight. With Keto you just shouldn't gain, right? I'm totally
    Pissed. Just completely. I don't want to give up but with week 4 holding steady at one weight and then now gaining I don't know what to do. My total loss, which happened in weeks 1 and 2 is 6 pounds. 6 pounds in 5 weeks is lame on Keto. Sorry.