Fasted Cardio?

Options
sarab260
sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all!

Just curious about opinions / input. I never had heard of fasted cardio until yesterday, but now I'm curious about what people find the benefits & drawbacks to be. I do my cardio before work, and basically roll out of bed and into the YMCA's wellness center, and workout 6-7am. I don't eat my breakfast until I get to my desk at work ~8:30. SO I guess theoretically, I partake in fasted cardio!

I don't plan on changing my routine but now I'm curious — what's everyone's thoughts on this whole fasted cardio thing? Pros, cons? Just so curious!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do it because if I don't, I have to wait 3+ hrs before my stomach will handle it. I love to wake up in the morn and get in a good workout. Even coffee or more than a few sips of water will give me stomach cramps and halt the workout. I know people with iron stomachs who can work hard after any sized meal but I am not that lucky. As far as cal burn, the reading I have done says that it does not matter when you work out, watch your calories in, get enough movement into your day and balance it based on maintenance, weight loss, or weight gain.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio because I don't like to eat breakfast, and I work out before work in the mornings. I take leucine before doing my cardio though to prevent any possible muscle breakdown, which might not be necessary, but it's cheap enough.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Like you and first commenter, I often do my workout fasted because it's already dang early, and I'm not getting up any earlier to eat and digest! :tongue: We have hot hot summers, so during that season I run at dawn, and do my in between strength/HIIT days early as well, and on an empty stomach. In winter, I can run later in the morning, so I'll eat early with plenty of time to digest before running. I don't really notice big variances in results or my stamina with either situation - basically just do what works best for you! :sweat_smile:
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning and usually haven't eaten in about 15 -16 hours (We eat dinner early here!) I prefer an empty stomach so I don't get cramps. But i also am only running 30 minutes. Maybe if I was training for a marathon or something I'd want a little more energy.
  • sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Haha glad to hear I'm not alone! :)
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yup, pretty much the same.
    I work out first thing before my brain really comprehends what we are doing. ;)
    I wake up very slowly. Exercise helps of course. I sleep in my workout clothes.
  • inglysh731
    inglysh731 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. You mean to tell me that you don't eat before exercising on purpose? Sounds gimmicky... like vegetarians. Or NA beer.

I like to workout on at least 250 calories in my stomach and will consume about 200 calories per hour of workout (while cycling). If I don't keep the calories coming in, I don't see the power coming out.

Also coffee... at least two cups, well in advance.
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    The idea is you have no reserves so your body switches to fat burning faster.

It's well documented. Body builders have been doing it for years.

Like with everything. It depends on the person and their body. We are all unique.

And I drink coffee before/during.
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    I do it more for convenience. I'm not eating at 4:30 in the morning.
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do it cause im doing IF and I run and workout before i eat been losing fat and maintaining weight and muscle i love it
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It's well documented. Body builders have been doing it for years.

Only advantage of doing it is preference or convenience. As far as body composition is concerned, it doesn't matter either way...

Like with everything. It depends on the person and their body. We are all unique.

Don't do that...
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    You disagree we are all genetically different?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You disagree we are all genetically different?

I disagree with you using that to infer that fundamental biological functions aren't generally universal
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat at least an hour before doing cardio, I'd pass out from hunger.
    It's my understanding that it's really best for performance athletes who need to force their body to their highest performance. I think it's one of those things that works for some people and not for others.

(Also, I was married to a competition body builder. Just because "body builders have been doing it for years" doesn't mean it's healthy, or even that it's particularly good for you.)
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat just before working out, especially my morning workout which is just cardio. I roll out of bed, put on my workout clothes, brush my teeth and go, before I have a chance to think about it. If I wanted to eat first, I'd have to get up a couple of hours earlier which would provide too many opportunities to decide to do something else or for work to get in the way. Even for evening strength training, I need to have at least an hour before eating and working out. My stomach couldn't handle it otherwise.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's well documented.

There is no compelling evidence to support any value, there is lots of broscience anecdata...

The practical issues are as upthread, but it does depend how much training one is doing. I can run for about 90 minutes fasted and unfuelled, but for more than that I need to fuel.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was doing a form of IF because if I didn't do it I didn't get my workout done. Took a while to adapt but eventually training (cardio or weights) felt just the same fasted or fed.

Did notice a benefit in medium intensity cycling - seemed to have more endurance and the need to feed on rides was much reduced / kicked in later.

For fat loss - no difference, that's a function of your overall calorie deficit not what fuel you may use doing your workout (which is mostly influenced by intensity not by recent food intake anyway).
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I do it for convenience (and out of personal preference) when running in the mornings, because I don't want to have to get up earlier and wait to digest. I can easily run for 2.5 hours without food or water (it is not hot where I live) because I'm used to it. I think the potential training benefit of adapting to fat-burning for racing marathons is convincing enough (though not my primary motivation for fasted training), but like other posters I am not convinced that it's a more efficient way to lose weight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I did it a lot during my marathon training. Too lazy to get up & eat. I've gone as far as 20 miles fasted and on water only, no gels. But that's how I trained and built up to that.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is some merit to fasted cardio, but the benefits are really only meaningful if you have the basics down (CICO, macros, adherence). Beyond that, it's largely personal preference. Some people feel better on an empty stomach, some people don't. I generally do, so much of my cardio is fasted. However, I do tend to burn out quicker during longer workouts when I'm fasted. This somewhat common sense, but figured I'd mention it just in case.