100th time back on the wagon, 100 pounds to lose

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    What has been your approach in the past? What is your approach this time?
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You raise very good questions! What hasn't worked, follow through- making a lot of excuses.

I know what I am supposed to do and then bam, life gets in the way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't look at is as "on" or "off." It's not black or white. Let this time be different by cutting yourself some slack. I've been there (many times).

Don't despair when you screw up. We all screw up, we're not perfect. Just pick yourself up and carry on. 2 steps forward and one back is still progress.

Good luck!
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    You raise very good questions! What hasn't worked, follow through- making a lot of excuses.

Life gets in the way of everyone. What is it exactly that you know you're supposed to do? I'm only asking because there might be some tweaks to make things easier...
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    All the "fresh starts" haven't seemed to help in the past. Looking for a new outlook. Needing the lifestyle change!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Make some smaller - do-able goals. My initial exercise goal was 60 minutes a week. Surely, I could manage that much. After a few weeks of hitting my goal, exercise started to become a regular thing. Adding more minutes was not a major imposition.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Moderation: sticking with the calorie goal, realistic expectations for 'diet'. Exercise and fitness: finding a routine that works in my very busy work and family schedule. Mental Wellness: reducing the unhealthy choices as a "want to" instead of "have to" or rather "supposed to". Black and White Thinking, All or Nothing traps.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    I usually do great for about 2 or 3 weeks, lose 10 pounds or so and then I fall back into my old habits, before you know it I have gained back double and thus the cycle continues.
  • Mmarst
    Mmarst Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have 214 to lose, well, 213.8, but when you have that much to lose, what is an extra .2 pounds. Would love to take the journey with you! We will make it happen this time!
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Perhaps it's a motivation issue. 100lbs is a big task and can be daunting. The only thing that really helped me was building habits. For me, waking up early and lifting weights is not all about losing weight or getting stronger, it's just something I do and I don't question it.

I also agree with the micro goals. hit small goals and reward yourself. Keep doing that until your habits are formed.
  • Ims0
    Ims0 Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Don't despair when you screw up. We all screw up, we're not perfect. Just pick yourself up and carry on. 2 steps forward and one back is still progress.

Totally agree with this.

Are there maybe more structural changes that can make it easier for you - joining a different gym, joining a weekly class, buying tools to help you control your diet without making you hate it, such as a kitchen scale and appropriately sized and easy to use food containers? I know this all sounds pretty basic but for me this really helped me get into it and feel good about doing it.

I think a common problem among people looking to change their lifestyle is a tendency to beat themselves up over not achieving magnificent changes immediately and having occasional setbacks. Key is to not let ourselves be sabotaged by that little voice in our heads that says it's a lost cause - it's really not. You can do this (:
  • mistysangel2014
    mistysangel2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I decided in life I was taught to make things a certain way. So I decided I just need to change my recipe book and find healthier ways to make the food I already like. Hope this helps.
  • broomy78
    broomy78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually do great for about 2 or 3 weeks, lose 10 pounds or so and then I fall back into my old habits, before you know it I have gained back double and thus the cycle continues.

This is the story of my life! I'm trying a different approach this time: four weeks of working toward a weight loss goal (both diet and exercise), and then one week of setting my MFP goal to "maintain weight." That way I know the "good" stuff is not gone forever, but I need to focus for a few weeks. Then I can kind of take a break, enjoy the extra calories, but not gain any of the weight back.

Another thing that helped me was dropping my gym membership and buying some Zumba discs. I'm WAY more likely to exercise when it doesn't involve driving somewhere and back (which, for me, added 40 minutes to the task). Try to find something you can do at home, even if it's just circuits you find online. It's easier to commit and find/make the time.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck! You can do this!
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Totally relate to all of you. Been on MFP for awhile on and off. WAtched many succeed while I'm the bridesmaid. I can't seem to get my *kitten* together. I let my emotions and bad relationship rule me. I started again with logging regularly. Then I decided this week to change one thing in my life to be healthy. This week it's drinking all that damn water. I'm thinking if I commit to little changes maybe I will stick with it. My issue is I binge eat. When I do I put weight on and then when I go back to 1200 calories takes me forever to drop one freaking pound.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    I do roller derby! I'm pretty freaking incredible at it too. What I suck at, food. Food is so good. My appetite is so big. I love all kinds of food, I love sharing food with friends and family, I love eating when I'm home alone, when I'm up late at night pulling an all nighter to finish paperwork. Food. Every family celebration seems to revolve around food, when hanging out with my friends its martinis and guess what, food.
  • marykatwise
    marykatwise Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 100 pounds too, and 15 pounds in I have learned this: when you have an 'off' day, and we all know they happen, don't let it consume you! Instead of saying 'well I already messed up what's the point now' just put it in your past and move forward. From here on out there are no more 'on/off periods' just bad days. Learn from your mistakes so that bad days come around less often. What really helps me is is taking healthy snacks with me that I eat throughout the day. I find myself much less likely to get cookies from the vending machine or stop by the drive through when I have a belly full of healthy food :)
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    been there. What is helping me now is waking up each day and thinking, what one thing can I do toward my goal? It's surprising how that sets the tone for the whole day. I find myself making better overall decisions with food and exercise just because I focused on one thing, one day, each day. Having long-term goals is great, but sometimes we focus on them too much and after a few weeks it seems like we will never reach them. Pulling back and focusing on the here and now helps me center myself better so I dont feel as overwhelmed.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    The only way to approach this now is with a totally different mindset. How many years though this inner war has been going on!
  • Ims0
    Ims0 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do roller derby! I'm pretty freaking incredible at it too. What I suck at, food. Food is so good. My appetite is so big. I love all kinds of food, I love sharing food with friends and family, I love eating when I'm home alone, when I'm up late at night pulling an all nighter to finish paperwork. Food. Every family celebration seems to revolve around food, when hanging out with my friends its martinis and guess what, food.

Food is SO good. But there are ways to still be able to eat things you like, and what is also important is to try and gradually decrease your appetite so your body doesn't tell you it needs so much food. I love food so much that I honestly cannot find it in me to eat food I hate just to lose weight, so instead I try to look for and experiment with recipes that are good but in moderation, or making healthier versions of stuff I love. And I also allow myself some leeway sometimes. I won't call it a cheatday and I'll still log it, but sometimes I'll just be like *kitten* it, today I'm having pizza for dinner.

• Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    I think you make a good point about appetite. Good things to keep in mind. 18 day streak... 7 lbs lost, on a very long way to go.