First mini plateau!! :(

Options
Hi everyone,

I've put my diet/lifestyle change into high gear about 4 weeks ago. I lost 6lbs in the first 3 weeks, and I was super stoked because I was and still am working REALLY hard at it. Then this week I weighed in and lost exactly NOTHING. I worked out 6 days last week and was incredibly careful about my diet, though I had one cheat meal. Can one cheat meal really derail the whole week like that?!

What's going on?!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What's going on? Lack of patience.

Weight loss isn't linear. There's going to be some weeks you lose nothing, some weeks there's a "gain" (which is water weight) and some you lose. It's the overall trend that counts.

As for the cheat meal, it depends on how many calories it was and how many calories your weekly deficit is.

Give it time. There's no instant gratification in weight loss.
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a fluctuating thing. You haven't 'plateaued' until you've gone 4-6 weeks with no change. The reality is, you're not going to lose weight every single week. Keep at it. These things just take patience.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    One cheat meal, if it's a huge meal loaded with calories might be able to stall you. I'd find that hard to believe working out 6 days a week though. That time of the month will also make you retain more water than usual as well.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you are doing everything right, trust the process and it WILL work. Do you weigh your food on a food scale and log EVERYTHING? Are you at your calorie allotment every day, or averaged over the week? If these two answers are yes, then be patient. If either of those two answers are no, then fix that and then trust the process.

Weight loss isn't a straight line. You'll have higher days due to hormones (I go up 4 pounds the week before my period, every time), or extra sodium, or whatever.

• Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No. One meal will not "derail" your whole weight loss. If the meal was very high in sodium you may be retaining water and that may be where your plateau happened. My body is that way. If I have a lot of sodium, I tend to bloat until I can drink enough water to wash everything out. I would suggest that maybe you aren't eating enough of your calories back with all the working out, but looking at your diary it seems like you're right where you need to be. Plateaus happen. I'm in a marathon one right now. I'm trying a bunch of different things to bust it because it's been going on so long. I wouldn't worry about one weigh in. You'll be fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason why people fail at weight loss is the expectation of losing EVERY WEEK. When no weight loss happens, many just throw in the towel because they believe that they've met their limit.
    As mentioned, weight loss isn't linear and one could do something one week and lose and do the same exact thing the next week and lose nothing.
    The expectation should be that weight loss (especially a lot of weight) will take MONTHS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You're doing just fine! Keep pounding!
  • rellie25
    rellie25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your measurements. With that much exercise you would be growing muscle mass, which does weigh more, but looks much nicer. How do you FEEL. can you feel your cheek bones more when you wash your face, do you notice your neck, ankles, wrists, etc feel more boney than before. Don't trip yourself up with the NUMBERS. Be kind to yourself and log how you feel when you don't think it's working. It's working. YOU"RE working ... You can do this. Congratulations on your stick-to-it-ness!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rellie25 wrote: »
    Try tracking your measurements. With that much exercise you would be growing muscle mass, which does weigh more, but looks much nicer. How do you FEEL. can you feel your cheek bones more when you wash your face, do you notice your neck, ankles, wrists, etc feel more boney than before. Don't trip yourself up with the NUMBERS. Be kind to yourself and log how you feel when you don't think it's working. It's working. YOU"RE working ... You can do this. Congratulations on your stick-to-it-ness!

I want some of that magical eating at a deficit 4 weeks of exercise muscle gains
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

No...just...No
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Shes not gaining muscle while eating in a deficit. That doesn't happen, except in rare situations
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    wrote: »
    Me too....same thing for more than a year and still losing.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    xsw2iy36h1wj.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Why does everyone think it is super easy to gain muscle? Wouldn't everyone who exercises look like a body builder if it was?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Shes not gaining muscle while eating in a deficit. That doesn't happen, except in rare situations

And the number one criteria for one of those situations is usually "Being Male"
    Why does everyone think it is super easy to gain muscle? Wouldn't everyone who exercises look like a body builder if it was?

Why do they think WOMEN are capable of this? I distinctly remember my high school PE classes going over testosterone for muscle growth.

Ladies: If a bunch of adult men feel the need to use steroids to gain muscle, in spite of the fact that they are way better at it naturally than we are, what does that tell you about us doing it by accident????

• singingflutelady
    edited February 2016
    Options

Why do they think WOMEN are capable of this? I distinctly remember my high school PE classes going over testosterone for muscle growth.

Ladies: If a bunch of adult men feel the need to use steroids to gain muscle, in spite of the fact that they are way better at it naturally than we are, what does that tell you about us doing it by accident????

And the op doesn't mention doing a heavy lifting program
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    megbee617 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've put my diet/lifestyle change into high gear about 4 weeks ago. I lost 6lbs in the first 3 weeks, and I was super stoked because I was and still am working REALLY hard at it. Then this week I weighed in and lost exactly NOTHING. I worked out 6 days last week and was incredibly careful about my diet, though I had one cheat meal. Can one cheat meal really derail the whole week like that?!

What's going on?!

Time of month could be a big one here. I "gain" a couple of pounds midcycle (ovulation), and then up to 5lb at the end of my cycle. It's just water. The "extra pounds" usually disappear within a couple of days, but each time, any weight I've lost is masked. It does make for a nice drop on the scale twice a month :smile:

Also, starting out on a much more intense workout regime can cause your body to hang onto water while your muscles are in repair. I have had that happen to me numerous times as well. Your best bet is to refer to the chart posted above, and keep doing what you're doing. Maybe sign up for a weight tracking website like Trendweight that will show you your trend over time. When I get bogged down and feel like I've been seeing the same number for weeks on end, I'll take a look at that downward trendline and feel a lot better.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    MikeAV8s wrote: »
    You're doing just fine! Keep pounding!

Are you, by chance, a Panthers fan? :lol: Either way, I like the sentiment, particularly with the upcoming game.
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I don't understand your point. Are you saying women can't gain muscle???