p90x

Options
amandajeanAKAaj
amandajeanAKAaj Posts: 84 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I was thinking of maybe trying this. With my work schedule, husbands schedule, and my baby girl I just cant fit in gym time...At least not until summer break ( I work in a school). So, I must find things to do at home without much equipment.
I was hoping to get some input. Has anyone used this? Any thoughts and opinions on it?
Thank you!

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There are a few different versions of p90x out there, I've never fully completed any of them but I've at least tried all of them and if you have the time imo the original p90x is the most grueling and intense, after I bulk up a little more I plan on following thru with finally completing it. If I remember correctly there is a comparison online of the different versions
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    There are a few different versions of p90x out there, I've never fully completed any of them but I've at least tried all of them and if you have the time imo the original p90x is the most grueling and intense, after I bulk up a little more I plan on following thru with finally completing it. If I remember correctly there is a comparison online of the different versions
    Thank you very much for the input!

• rsisca
    rsisca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great program. If you commit to both the program and the nutrition you can get fantastic results. I lost 38 lbs in my first round and continue to use it now a few years later. I would be happy to answer any questions you have but can I ask what your goals are?
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    rsisca wrote: »
    P90X is a great program. If you commit to both the program and the nutrition you can get fantastic results. I lost 38 lbs in my first round and continue to use it now a few years later. I would be happy to answer any questions you have but can I ask what your goals are?

:)
  • melissavangulck287
    Options
    I was thinking of maybe trying this. With my work schedule, husbands schedule, and my baby girl I just cant fit in gym time...At least not until summer break ( I work in a school). So, I must find things to do at home without much equipment.
    I was hoping to get some input. Has anyone used this? Any thoughts and opinions on it?
    Thank you!

I started P90X in January and loved it! HOWEVER, I found it almost stressful to find time to fit the workouts in and still have time for my husband and children when I was done work. The workouts are awesome, but range from 60-90 minutes in length. After 2 weeks, I switched to P90X3. If find I get the same intensity, but the workouts are only 30 minutes, which fit much better into my schedule. I plan on returning to P90X in the summer when my kids aren't in school and I have a bit more free time.
  • nut4crew
    nut4crew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy P90X. The above poster is correct that the workout range of 60-90 minutes can detract from your goal of fitting in workout time. I went along with the videos until I had good form, and then for the strength days I just followed the book. Cuts time to about 25 minutes. Cardio days I had to stick with the videos, hit next, or do a shorter alternate (Insanity, T25, etc.) As for the yoga, I split that into two 45 minute sessions. I went all the way through the first time, and found a mid-point, essentially. (Moving poses vs. balance) I would alternate every other week. Tony also has a 30 minute yoga video out, and a 23 minute video on Youtube.
    As for equipment, the chin up bar was a must. I prefer weights to bands, but that's up to you. Found spending the money on a thick yoga mat to be worth it, as well as a yoga block.
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    Thank you!

I started P90X in January and loved it! HOWEVER, I found it almost stressful to find time to fit the workouts in and still have time for my husband and children when I was done work. The workouts are awesome, but range from 60-90 minutes in length. After 2 weeks, I switched to P90X3. If find I get the same intensity, but the workouts are only 30 minutes, which fit much better into my schedule. I plan on returning to P90X in the summer when my kids aren't in school and I have a bit more free time.
    That is awesome input right there and exactly what im looking for....maybe I should try the p90x3 for the same reason. Working in a school I akways have a lot more free time in the summer! I refuse to give up to much time with my family so that may be better for me! Thank you so much!
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    nut4crew wrote: »
    I really enjoy P90X. The above poster is correct that the workout range of 60-90 minutes can detract from your goal of fitting in workout time. I went along with the videos until I had good form, and then for the strength days I just followed the book. Cuts time to about 25 minutes. Cardio days I had to stick with the videos, hit next, or do a shorter alternate (Insanity, T25, etc.) As for the yoga, I split that into two 45 minute sessions. I went all the way through the first time, and found a mid-point, essentially. (Moving poses vs. balance) I would alternate every other week. Tony also has a 30 minute yoga video out, and a 23 minute video on Youtube.
    As for equipment, the chin up bar was a must. I prefer weights to bands, but that's up to you. Found spending the money on a thick yoga mat to be worth it, as well as a yoga block.

Some more amazing input I will have to look into the equipment! Thank you so much!
  • melissavangulck287
    Options
    Thank you!

That is awesome input right there and exactly what im looking for....maybe I should try the p90x3 for the same reason. Working in a school I akways have a lot more free time in the summer! I refuse to give up to much time with my family so that may be better for me! Thank you so much!

You're very welcome! Any other questions, just ask!
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    Thank you!

You're very welcome! Any other questions, just ask!

I will remember that!
  • nmp6454
    nmp6454 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    P90x3 was more doable for me with working full time and having a family but I like the original nutrition plan better.
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    nmp6454 wrote: »
    P90x3 was more doable for me with working full time and having a family but I like the original nutrition plan better.

Thank you!
  • dougrcollins
    dougrcollins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Definitely P90X3...it's only 30 mins and is an amazing workout. You can do your own level of intensity following the routine. I am now on my 2nd round of 90-days doing the Doubles routine calendar. Half way through as of this week...it's 60 mins (2 workouts) but I wanted to increase the intensity as personal challenge for myself. Love this program. Good luck!
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    We've owned P90X for years, and although I've started it many times, I've never gone more than about halfway through. On occasion I will still pull out Cardio-X or Kenpo-X because I do enjoy both of those workouts. What others have said though is correct. They are longer workouts, although Cardio-X is the shortest at around 43 minutes I think, and covers moves from all the other workouts. Kenpo-X is around an hour, but I think is the funnest of them all.

There is equipment needed for many of them, even if it's something basic like a chair or stool. I've tried with both bands and free weights, and you'll get a much better workout with weights, but that's more expensive to buy if you don't have them already. A mat is a must because you will not be able to hold the Yoga moves while sliding on carpet or smooth flooring (learned from experience).

I'm at the point now where I've listened to them enough times that I actually can't stand to have the dialog on anymore. I just turn on music and cues, which is a nice option. Tony's jokes aren't nearly as funny after you've heard them more than a dozen times....and they weren't that funny the first time.

Basically it boils down to being an excellent workout (not the best for beginners), but a definite time sink and commitment to daily workouts. Every day. For 90 days. Although it does say you can rest or do X-stretch on Sundays. Possible for a summer break, but they don't even last that long anymore!
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    Options
    i did enjoy P90 I just think I need something a little more fresh and challenging. You are right though his jokes really arent that funny
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How heavy of weights do you need for P90x?
  • ronda112
    ronda112 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did P90x when it first came out and it was very difficult but I saw quick progress. I do believe it is one of the best home work outs out there.
  • melissavangulck287
    Options
    There's no set weights that you need. You start where you're good and move up from there. I've been using 5, 8, and 10s, but am going to have to increase soon. But there are some moves that it is recommended to use a very light weight so keep that in mind.
  • dougrcollins
    Options
    There's no set weights that you need. You start where you're good and move up from there. I've been using 5, 8, and 10s, but am going to have to increase soon. But there are some moves that it is recommended to use a very light weight so keep that in mind.

Yes, totally agree. I am doing X3 and all you need to start is a resistence band with door attachment and a light set of dumbells. As you go along you can add more weight as your fitness level increases. Keep it simple to start...most exercises are using body weight and gravity.
  • dougrcollins
    Options
    ronda112 wrote: »
    I did P90x when it first came out and it was very difficult but I saw quick progress. I do believe it is one of the best home work outs out there.

I always wanted to do P90X but never did...I purchased P90X3 last Fall as it was 30 mins. Cancelled ny gym membership and have not been back to the gym since. The results from X3 have been well worth the change for me. I am now on my 2nd round doing the doubles schedule this time. Loved it so much the first round I decided to start 2016 hard core. It is a great home workout program and I highly recommend.