Psoriasis and Diet

Hey team,
So lucky me got 'diagnosed' with guttate psoriasis yesterday - typically triggered by a virus despite being sick. Doc says use a cream and watch it for up to 6 weeks. I am celiac and practice Gluten Free eating and also eat lactose free.

Has anyone had any luck with psoriasis healing/relief using diet adjustments. The goog tells me to cut back/out alcohol so that's step one for me and step two is asking MFP for some support/suggestions.

TIA

Replies

• wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Nope.. I've had it all my life. For me alcohol can make it really itchy. I have steroid creams and use a prescription vitamin d cream as well as light therapy to treat it. I see my dermatologist twice a year for new therapies that might be available.
  • wearmi1
    What is guttate psoriasis as opposed to regular psoriasis?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    My mother has improved hers using coconut oil. She uses the oil in cooking and on her skin, and found it improved within a couple of weeks. It's the first thing that has worked for her.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Husband is not seeing his psoriasis this year.
    We quit alcohol to once a week and now measure the shots.
    He takes a daily multivitamin.
    We try to eat a plant based diet low in saturated fats and high in fiber and good carbs.
    Fish oil daily. Along with eating wild caught fish once a week.
    He quit smoking.
    Stopped fast food.
    He uses my pink dove soap.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I found that Bag Balm works as well or better than any prescription cream I have tried.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51xcNUCLSBL.jpg&f=1

I have had the most success by making sure I have adequate sun exposure. When I have a winter outbreak I go to a local tanning salon. I don't go often enough to really tan, just a couple times a week for the psoriasis.

I've never noticed any particular reaction to dietary changes.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Thanks for all the help so far folks.
    wearmi1 wrote: »
    What is guttate psoriasis as opposed to regular psoriasis?

As far as I know there's not "regular" psoriasis, just different strains. Like plaque, guttate, and a couple others. Guttate tends to come after strep throat from what I've read...
  • suzanne1611
    suzanne1611 Posts: 1 Member
    I've had guttate since I was 15 and I'm 34 now, the only times I've been naturally free from it (without cream/steriod) is when I was pregnant and also now on a very low carb diet, so no sugar at all, no alcohol and no caffeine/bread etc. It's cleared up completely. Apart from that without a diet change in the past sun beds and sunshine cleared it up, hope it goes fast I know how horrible it is to have it xxx
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I found that Bag Balm works as well or better than any prescription cream I have tried.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51xcNUCLSBL.jpg&f=1

I have had the most success by making sure I have adequate sun exposure. When I have a winter outbreak I go to a local tanning salon. I don't go often enough to really tan, just a couple times a week for the psoriasis.

I've never noticed any particular reaction to dietary changes.

We always kept this in the pharmacy when I worked there. Lactating mothers loved it...
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    My psoriasis was absolutely terrible when I was on a low carb, high fat diet. For the last year and a half I've been on a low fat diet and my skin is clear. Whenever I add a lot of fat to my diet it flares up again.
  • Hiya, I also have guttate psoriasis and have tried steroid creams, light treatment and coal tar baths. All work for a while then it seems my skin gets used to the treatment and comes back. When I eat mainly lean chicken, fish and veg my skin clears. Alcohol aggravates it too. It was impossible for me to never have fats/sugars/alcohol again so it came back. 3 years ago I started methetrexate injections and I've been clear ever since. It took me almost 20 years of being with my dermatologist and working my way up the potency levels to be allowed this treatment tho and had to have my family first before they would even consider it as it can cause infertility. It really has been amazing for me though. I really hope you can clear yours with heathy eating and creams though as that is enough for most people xx
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    There's a supplement called Pycnogenol that has been show to improve psoriasis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24637472

My biggest trigger is stress so I try to combat that any way I can including diet which correlates with mood. Since oxidative stress plays a role in psoriasis formation, increase antioxidant rich foods. Also make sure you're getting sunlight on most of your body (or supplement with Vit D) and stay hydrated.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I would recommend trying everything else before using those sun beds. . You don't want to swap psoriasis for skin cancer..
    They've been completely banned where I'm from.
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    My son suffered with psoriasis all through high school. 2 years ago his dermatologist put him on Humira injections 2x month. His skin is clear and perfect for the 1st time in years since he started the injections.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I would recommend trying everything else before using those sun beds. . You don't want to swap psoriasis for skin cancer..
    They've been completely banned where I'm from.

It is a matter of moderation. The danger is for the idiots that go 5 times a week for 1/2 hour each time. The risk if using one for 10 minutes twice per week is less than being outside on a cloudy day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    The light from a medical sunbed is completely different from a standard tanning salon - it's narrowband UVB

The restrictions of use are clear and marked

A standard sunbed will do nothing for psoriasis

We own a medical grade sunbed for DH - his use is clearly controlled
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    You guys are all a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. Most of it is seeming to clear up a bit (prescription cream and diet) but some stubborn spots linger. Time will tell and hopefully get better.
    Thanks again.
  • wearmi1
    I recently got steroid injections in the worst most visible spots I have because I'm getting married in 2 weeks. The shots have made a huge difference.
  • marinagraber
    marinagraber Posts: 49 Member
    I will second the use of bag balm. I have used it twice a day for several years and it keeps the itching, redness, and scales under control.
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    *following*
  • krepanie
    krepanie Posts: 41 Member
    My mother, two of my sister, and I all have psoriasis. My father has severe eczema, and has since birth, and uses heavy duty steroid creams. I've seen the long-term affects on his skin, and have not used any for that reason. My mom uses them some, but her psoriasis is pretty bad. The only thing that seems to help mine I figured out on accident. A friend included a bottle of Melaluca lotion (I think it is for dry skin) in a gift she gave me. I used it because I had it on my arms and legs. My psoriasis is almost completely gone (only have plaque on my knees, gone on one side, almost gone on the other).