Most stupid exercise thing you ever did

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Lighthearted, and maybe a warning to others. Alternatively something to laugh about. I have a few of those. Best two:

Was on a visit in the Middle East recently and went running in the evening, making use of the lovely weather. Now, crossing roads at roundabouts is somewhat adventurous as car drivers don't really take care of non-drivers. Thus I had the choice between waiting for a huge gap or going full speed. I chose the second, crossed the road, crossed a bit of lawn full speed to get back on the sidewalk. Or tried as there was a random piece of rebar steep sticking out of the ground, invisible in the dark. Yep, hit it full speed, went for a dive, damaged my trousers and got nice bruises on knee and hurting wrists.

Seriously stupid: used to running at 42 degrees celsius after sunset. Not used to running at slightly higher temperatures at day time in the sun (no idea how warm it was outside the shadow). Had the ridiculous idea to run to a park some 2.5km away. Got there, found out the park was closed, got hit by the heat, found out I forgot the water... and no taxis to get back home. Fastest 2% bodyweight (water) loss ever. At least I made it back home walking slowly, trying not to faint... barely. Seriously stupid.

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    When I started doing resistance training, I looked up some videos online that demonstrated how to do a squat. They recommended doing 10. I am pretty flexible and really well-balanced, so I did 100. And couldn't walk the next day....stupid.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I forgot my headphones ;)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Continued through pain to finish my last two sets of stiff leg deadlifts and sidelined myself for 6 weeks.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Spending over 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get in the hip abductor seat without pulling a muscle, ended up almost doing a full split mid air while getting situated.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A mud run without shoes. They got sucked off my fit in a pit of mud and were lost. Finished dead last.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    A mud run without shoes. They got sucked off my fit in a pit of mud and were lost. Finished dead last.

Sorry, but this really made me smile! Almost happened to me once on a tiny Nordic island on a mountain in the rain. I stepped into a hole full of mud and sheep poo hidden by dense moss. Just about got my boot back.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    In college my roomie and I did one of those "Build huge biceps!" workouts utterly destroying our arms.

About died the next morning getting out of my loft since I couldn't move my arm and in my still sleepy state didn't realize it until I was hitting the floor.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Trained for a half marathon all on a treadmill. Realllllllly jacked up my knee.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
    I tripped and fell while running 3 weeks ago, straining both hands. I stressed out, thinking "How am I going to do any lifting?" That's not the stupid part though...
    The next day, I figured "At least I can still run and do lower body weights" and went running, throwing in a few sets of walking lunges. I had been doing those anyway in my workouts. The next morning I woke up with shooting pains in my left hip. It got better for a while but it's gotten worse in the last few days (like any time I lean over to put on my shoes).
    Two days after the fall, I tried to get into a plank (forearms on the floor) without resting my hands on the floor. I ended up straining my right rotator cuff. I aggravated that last week when I had to pick something up in a hurry.

So now here I am with a sore arm, hip and left hand (the right hand's nearly healed). That's what I get for trying to do too much.

At least I'm starting physical therapy on Friday and will go twice a week for the next month to 6 weeks.

F--- a duck, I'm outta luck, got hit by a truck, I'm buggered up again...
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stupidest exercise thing I ever did? This:
    https://youtu.be/UqZ7grNqlk8

It was my mom's video. Early 90s? Late 80s? Gawd.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The stupidest exercise my husband did was to go for a barefoot run on the beach. He could barely limp back to the hotel when he'd finished. The blisters were gross.

As for me, it's got to be my first outdoor long run when training for my first half marathon. I didn't think to take any water with me because up to then I'd never needed it. Temperatures in the 80s and I made it worse by taking a detour to where I thought there was a water fountain. There wasn't and I only succeeded in adding an extra mile onto my run.

And when I was actually running the darn thing, I accepted one of the Gu gels that were being given out at the six mile mark. I'd never used these before and I was stunned at how fast it came back up after I'd swallowed it. Luckily I didn't hit anyone.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used too much weight bench pressing and messed up my left rotator. It took a long time to be able just to lift the bar without it immediately tipping to the left.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Heavy barbell military press behind the neck. The pop sound my shoulder made still haunts me as does the bummed shoulder 25 years later. :o
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The Thighmaster.

Yes, I am ashamed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Decided to do a sponsored two hour indoor row on a Concept2 for the Comic Relief charity which was fairly ambitious as I had only done 10k before but then compounded it by stupidly revealing my distance goal.
    So my "friend" sponsored me for £10 if I hit my goal or £30 if I hit the unreasonable goal he set.

Being competitive I went for it - the pain in my glutes really set in badly after 50 minutes and only got worse. Inserting a cactus might have been more slightly more comfortable.
    Exceeded my goal but missed his. He did pay up £30 though, when he finally stopped laughing.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Danced a ballet exam two days after having my knee stepped on by a horse.

I've smartened up a little bit since then.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Decided to try to power through my heavy deadlift session after spending all day doing heavy labor out in the summer sun, even though a little voice in the back of my head kept telling me it was a bad idea.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1. I received an email suggestion for an exercise using a piece of equipment I own. It wasn't the kind of exercise I'd normally do, but I tried it, decided I needed to go faster and suffered the worst sports-related injury I've ever had. Five years later and I still haven't recovered. It has affected my ability to exercise.

2. Stayed on a recumbent bike I was using because I've had back surgery even though I felt odd. I ended up having the worst pain in my life, even worse than the original back pain or the surgery. It took a few weeks to subside. A regular bike is better for me.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Nobody will admit to buying a Shake Weight?? I didn't, but I did buy one of those exercise trampolines. It was fun, but not much in the way of exercise and nearly a broken ankle more than once.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Biked over a ditch, which I had done multiple times before but construction workers had emptied the ditch and well, I flipped head over heels over my handlebars and dislocated my shoulder.