Gym - kind of frustrated

I go to a small gym close to my house early in the a.m. to do weights. I get up at 4am. Woman comes in a 5 usually..no big deal. Lately she has been coming at the same time as me and hogs the squat rack and smith machine plus all the heavy dumbbells. So, I said ok, if you're coming at 4, I'll get up at 3. Guess what...she's on to me and comes earlier too. Therefore, I end up stuck using the machines because I can't use the free weights that I want.
Today she saw me heading to the weight room and was on a slow run behind me to grab her weights to put them on both racks. Feels like high school immaturity all over again.

Today, she brings a friend and she too, takes all the dumbbells. Had them in a pile on a weight bench. She's like a squirrel hoarding nuts. I went over and asked if I could use some and got an ugly look and snarky "ok". I enjoy lifting weights but these women make it hard. I suppose the machines aren't so bad but still. Thinking about getting those Select-tech dumbbells for home so I don't have to deal with the frustration.

What a pain!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Go back to 4am, otherwise tell her that she is going to have to share the equipment and the dumbbells and that you can work in together. If you are not inclined to discuss with her ask a staff member to discuss gym etiquette with her.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Go back to 4am, otherwise tell her that she is going to have to share the equipment and the dumbbells and that you can work in together. If you are not inclined to discuss with her ask a staff member to discuss gym etiquette with her.

This. If all else fails complain to gym management.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    She sounds like she doesn't have much going on in her life. If she isn't responsive to your requests to share the equipment, complain to management.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Ask if you can work in. From the post it appears when you asked to share she said okay. Who cares if it was snarky? If she refuses, talk to the manager.
  • gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2016
    Human beings can be weird. Men can be *kitten* (especially the 'no-such-thing-as-leg-day' bull-necks at my work's gym), but I think there's also a type of woman who sees every other woman outside of her clique as an enemy that must be repelled or destroyed. Go figure.

Personally, I wouldn't be intimidated (though I understand at 4am, you just don't need all this crap!), but then again, I'm the hard-headed kind of person who will go out of my way to irritate a person like that - usually by showing them that their *kitten* is not affecting me going about my business. I also like to wink and smile at them or when they pull some crap, laugh and do something else. That generally, gets them royally pissed off.

And it usually goes one of two ways; they either escalate their juvenile shenanigans or they give up for a bit, though they often like to return to it, in a cycle.

So on reflection (looking at how that's worked out for me over the years); maybe you should change gym or buy some dumbbells! :D
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I wouldn't be phased by her snarkiness and would continue your approach of just asking to borrow what you need, let her be grumpy about it if she wants. I'm sure she knows she's not being reasonable and that's where the snark comes from.

Keep being all sweetness and light as that often irritates entitled people more. I'd let the gym staff know in case it causes any other issues.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Well clearly this

But I'm a little surprised you haven't said 'Hi' smiled and talked about how you're both going at the same time and how great it is to see other women in the free weights and can you work in together .. blah blah blah

catch more flies with honey
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    This is a non-staffed type gym. There are owners whom I could contact but there is nobody there. I have tried to be nice to this woman and she won't talk to me. I have said good morning and smiled and she just gives me a glare. I don't know what it is. I'll just continue on and see what happens. I've got a goal and I'm going to reach it one way or another :)
  • gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    More power to you, that's the spirit!

Just had one more thought, maybe she has "bitchy resting face" and her glares and dour demeanour are just the way she looks?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Who started coming first?

Not that it REALLY matters- but people get defensive and protective when they feel like their "safe space" is being encroached upon.

What I would do- because I'm a grade a B... go early at 3 AM- for like a week. And then start come in super later- like back to 4 PM. or push it back to 5 for a week- and start coming at 3.
    Sucky way to deal with it b/c it messes with your sleep cycle- but it would get you what you need probably.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Is this really newsworthy?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

Not that it REALLY matters- but people get defensive and protective when they feel like their "safe space" is being encroached upon.

What I would do- because I'm a grade a B... go early at 3 AM- for like a week. And then start come in super later- like back to 4 PM. or push it back to 5 for a week- and start coming at 3.
    Sucky way to deal with it b/c it messes with your sleep cycle- but it would get you what you need probably.

Asking to work in/use the equipment is much less of a hassle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Asking to work in/use the equipment is much less of a hassle.

it is- but I have no problem effing with people if they are blatantly going out of their way to get in my way or hog equipment.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I go to a small gym close to my house early in the a.m. to do weights. I get up at 4am. Woman comes in a 5 usually..no big deal. Lately she has been coming at the same time as me and hogs the squat rack and smith machine plus all the heavy dumbbells. So, I said ok, if you're coming at 4, I'll get up at 3. Guess what...she's on to me and comes earlier too. Therefore, I end up stuck using the machines because I can't use the free weights that I want.
    Today she saw me heading to the weight room and was on a slow run behind me to grab her weights to put them on both racks. Feels like high school immaturity all over again.

Today, she brings a friend and she too, takes all the dumbbells. Had them in a pile on a weight bench. She's like a squirrel hoarding nuts. I went over and asked if I could use some and got an ugly look and snarky "ok". I enjoy lifting weights but these women make it hard. I suppose the machines aren't so bad but still. Thinking about getting those Select-tech dumbbells for home so I don't have to deal with the frustration.

What a pain!

Hoarding equipment has got to be against gym policy. She should be using the weights and then returning them to where they belong, not piling them up in her area. It wouldn't hurt to contact the owners and ask them put a sign up or send an email out to all members reminding them of the policy.

Meanwhile, she was allowing you to use the stuff, so I would continue just asking her to share. Switching your entire workout routine around to accommodate this person doesn't seem fair to you or anybody else.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    One Smith machine, squat rack, and only one set of each dumbbell weight? This gym sounds horrible. I think that's the base issue for all of this. I'd switch to a different gym. You'll always find jerks but it helps if you have access to more resources.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    One Smith machine, squat rack, and only one set of each dumbbell weight? This gym sounds horrible. I think that's the base issue for all of this. I'd switch to a different gym. You'll always find jerks but it helps if you have access to more resources.

She said it's a small town gym. I also live in a small town and belong to the gym. We are lucky to have a gym. There's no way our gym owners could purchase multiples of everything and still make a profit. For me, switching gyms would mean driving 20 miles. That's a completely unreasonable choice in my busy life.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »

She said it's a small town gym. I also live in a small town and belong to the gym. We are lucky to have a gym. There's no way our gym owners could purchase multiples of everything and still make a profit. For me, switching gyms would mean driving 20 miles. That's a completely unreasonable choice in my busy life.

I guess I'd just find the path of least resistance then. There are only so many options so pick one that best fits your lifestyle.
    • Stop exercising
    • Change the time you workout again
    • Talk to the equipment hog
    • Ignore the equipment hog and use the equipment anyway
    • Switch to a different gym
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »

I guess I'd just find the path of least resistance then. There are only so many options so pick one that best fits your lifestyle.
    • Stop exercising
    • Change the time you workout again
    • Talk to the equipment hog
    • Ignore the equipment hog and use the equipment anyway
    • Switch to a different gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z33BNjRItRo
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 542 Member
    Tell her she gets the squat rack or the smith... Our gym doesn't allow you to circuit like that through equipment. I would personally politely talk to her about it an if that doesn't work id probably get management involved. Oh and if switch back to 4 o'clock.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Use your adult words first?

You know, before you burn down the world.