Only working out on the weekends, is that enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I work 7-3:30 and hammer my workout out before work. Get up, get it done, easiest way to do it.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    What everyone else is saying - workout right after work. If it's important to you, you'll fit it in. Then, eat your dinner and relax!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Come back when exercise is a big enough priority for you. If you can't find the time during a normal 40 hr work week, you are just making invalid excuses.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I work 0600-4PM everyday. I workout right after work. I've had to make some changes to make working out fit. For example, I eat breakfast a bit later, have a snack at noon (normal lunch time), then have lunch around 2PM. That is late enough that I am not starving by the time I get off work, but early enough that I can workout right after I get off work. (I'm usually home and working out in my garage by 4:45, dinner ready to eat by 6 unless my husband cooks while I'm working out.)

When I went to a gym, I would take my gym bag with me and workout before I got home.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30-4:30 with an hour commute each way- I have 3 kids and I work out every other evening lifting in my garage and walk my entire lunch hour right here at work or the parking garage. I dont care where I walk as long as Im moving. When it finally became priority for me I made it happen.

Calorie deficit for weight loss. Walk for health. Lift for strength.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to pile on. I work full time+ with a 45-minute commute each way, have 4 kids at home, and I'm an active volunteer with the scouts. I usually work out an hour or more each day. Lunchtime is my go-to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Sedentary behavior begets sedentary behavior. Energetic behavior begets energetic behavior. You don't have to exercise but if your excuse is that you don't have the energy for it, solve that by training in order to feel more energetic.

Exactly. I have more energy after work when I walk during lunch time.

@jainafaith - I'd prefer to exercise in the AM as well. But since it currently doesn't work with my schedule, during the week I walk at lunch and if I have to force myself to strength train at night, I force myself.
  • tbirk
    tbirk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also struggle getting to the gym after work, but it's worth it. Starting the habit is the hardest part. I often feel too tired to go, but I never regret going! I bet you'll feel the same. I like to go to classes like spin/cycling to motivate me to commit to a certain time. I find exercise helps accelerate weightloss. 3-5 days a week is a good goal. 2 is not usually enough to see fitness (cardio, strength) improvements, if that's something you're interested in.

Best of luck with your weightloss journey!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30 am to 5 pm 5 days a week.
    I totally get your being too tired to work out after work.
    I know after work I'm not about that life at all eff the gym and the evening gym goers too. eff them for real, all socializing and stuff.

I am not a morning person at all BUT I have goals dagnamit!!!
    3 solid years 5 days a week I rise at 3:45am ease into my morning with 2 cups of espresso make breakfast for my sleeping child and husband pack my lunch pull on my trainers and head to the gym and am training no later than 5:30.
    After work I come home by 6-630pm and make dinner for my family. I'm in the bed or close to it by 9:30pm.

I have goals.
    I was 220lbs I will never be that weight again.
    You say you can't go after work bc you are too lazy. Stop being LAZY.
    You say you can't get up early bc you need your rest. Go to bed earlier.

Prioritize and stop making excuses. We are not here for that.

No, weekend workouts aren't gonna get it done.
    If you can't work out then just eat at a deficit and be happy with those results.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jainafaith wrote: »
    When I didn't have a job I would workout 6 days a week every morning because I have the most energy in the morning. Now that I have a full time job I'm having a hard time to workout after work. I work from 8-4:30pm on the weekdays and have weekends off. I get home around 5:30pm and eat a light dinner. After an hour of eating I don't feel motivated to go to the gym because I'm so lazy and tired from work. I think working out before work is too early for me. That means I would have to wake up at 4:30am or 5am and I need my full 8 hours of sleep so I don't want to do that. I'm already in pretty good shape at a pretty normal weight and body fat percentage. I do want to lose about 5-8 more lbs. should I just focus on eating right and just working out on weekends or is that not enough exercise? What should I do?

We all have jobs, kids, school (responsibilities) so no sympathy here. If you want to go you will, if you don't you will find an excuse.

ETA: No - working out on the weekends isn't enough. Maybe for your goals, but certainly not for mine.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Even if you only made it to the gym 2 nights a week you would do wonders for yourself.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Honestly, suck it up and make the time. You're only going to get busier with more responsibility the older you get. 8-4:30 is almost a laughably easy work day. There are over FIFTEEN HOURS left in your day after work.
  • gimmieonemore
    gimmieonemore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's not enough exercise for basic health and fitness. Alternately, you can lose weight without being healthy or fit.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    3 solid years 5 days a week I rise at 3:45am ease into my morning with 2 cups of espresso make breakfast for my sleeping child and husband pack my lunch pull on my trainers and head to the gym and am training no later than 5:30.

Go on with your bad self! Thats awesome! I want to punch my 4:30am alarm in the face!

• mariafrausto1210
    Options
    I have full time job and part time job.and if you really want it bad you find a way around it to make the time.I work wkends also and I still make the time to fit in my workouts before I go to work.And even if im tired i get my butt in there and workout.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    I work 7-3:30 and hammer my workout out before work. Get up, get it done, easiest way to do it.

Theres always time for everything i used to work 7am-6 and sometimes 6am-6pm at a factory where it was none atop walking for the whole shift i only got 2 10 min breaks and 30min lunch and i always went to the gym after picking up my toddler from daycare and if i didnt get to the gym i exercised for an hour at home so try to get a schedule and workout or just watch ur calories