Hi! Low carb'ers out there

Options
I'm new to the community idea do I'm not sure how this works, but it's a new year and I am dedicated to trying new things! I am insulin resistance so I try to follow a low carb diet, although I've been pretty bad at it lately. Feeling sluggish and not happy with myself so I am jumping back into tracking what I eat to hold myself accountable. Hoping for motivation. Anyone else our there low carbing it? Would love to find and give support!

Replies

• jenate69
    jenate69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I too am insulin resistant and am suppose to be doing a low carb diet! I just started last week to try to actually follow it again!
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Low carb checking in. I try and stay under 25g of carbs per day and do a good job of it. I enjoy finding new and creative ways to avoid carbs. Eggs and toast? naaa eggs and bacon. cheeseburger on a bun? naa double cheeseburger hold the bun.
  • paulavande
    paulavande Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm trying low carb also, for first time!! It's tough but I am feeling better!
  • hustled77
    hustled77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Options
    I'm a low-carber :) always like more friends!
  • alishaturq
    alishaturq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for a few weeks, still pretty new at it. try to stick to 15 carbs a day, but def under 30 net. Friends are good! Add me!
  • niic0la
    niic0la Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also low carbing! I'd love to know any recipes you have or your favourite meal on this eating plan?
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto/LCHF! Anyone feel free to add me, my diary is open as well.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm low car too... go ahead and add me!! I'm always looking to add more low carb friends on here!! I'm not diabetic... yet, but it runs in my family and my numbers are creeping up. Trying to avoid it and drop a couple pounds as well!!
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i went low carb a few weeks ago when exercise and normal food was getting me no where. i did eat carbs a 2 days in a row last week (while still staying in my cals) and felt horrible afterwards.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    You should check out the Low Carber Daily Forum group. It's a great, supportive and extremely helpful group that really helped me when I decided to go keto 3 months ago.
  • serrano2886
    serrano2886 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm low carbing also, currently at 20g. I love meat eggs and leafy greens, so far not that bad. I did Atkins years ago and lost 60 lbs in 6 months!! I'm hoping to maintain my focus I had then.
  • heertu
    heertu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Low carbing is a fantastic way to get rid of that terrible sluggish feeling that I used to carry everyday before my weight loss journey. Might I suggest starting your day with a green (kale, spinach, etc ...) smoothie with no added sugar. Juice Generation, a shop here in NY, has a great recipe that I use called the "Supa Dupa Juice" which is like a nutrient blast to your system. Your body doesnt really crave anything for quite a few hours since it got hit with everything it needed early. Helped me fight those bagel cravings!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You should check out the Low Carber Daily Forum group. It's a great, supportive and extremely helpful group that really helped me when I decided to go keto 3 months ago.

Yep this ^^^^^. This is where most of us Ketoifles hang out. Here's a link to the group for any interested:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • wibadgerfan1478
    wibadgerfan1478 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really need to lose some weight so I am doing the low carb thing too. Need some support with this, and lots of easy ideas as I work 60 hours a week and don't like to cook much. Feel free to add me! Thanks!! :)
  • wellis1
    wellis1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Grateful to hear from everyone! Question - how do you determine what your daily carb limit should be? Some are saying 80, some 50, and some as low as 30? How do you know where to be?
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    You have to find a carb amount that you can sustain long term. There's no point in trying to eat under 30 carbs a day if you are going to fall off every few days, be sluggish, depressed, crabby, etc... In my opinion, it's better to eat higher carbs and be satisfied then lower carbs and miserable. I try to stick between 100-150 carbs. That is no where near "low carb" but for me it's lower carb, I have consistent weight loss and can still enjoy food and my life.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    When my husband went to our doctor to get information about the medical weight loss program they offer, he was told to eat a MAXIMUM of 100g total carbs/day. So that's where we started (I joined in the venture because it's easier when we're on the same page). Since then I've bounced around a lot trying to find my sweet spot, which turns out to be about 50g total carbs, with net carbs goal of 35. It's a personal preference more than anything unless you're specifically trying to become fat adapted or follow a ketogenic diet. I really gave Keto a solid try (kept it to 25g total carbs/day for more than 2 months) but it just wasn't right for me. I'm happier and more energetic with a bit more carbs than that. I guess my point is, there isn't a one right answer, there is just pick a number, stick with it for a couple of months, assess, change if needed.
  • pizzagirl007
    pizzagirl007 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic insulin resistance so I am trying to keep my carbs low also. Need to lose 100+ pounds.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    wellis1 wrote: »
    Grateful to hear from everyone! Question - how do you determine what your daily carb limit should be? Some are saying 80, some 50, and some as low as 30? How do you know where to be?

Its often recommended to start low and go higher if your body tolerates it. I do 20.

I use this website to figure out my macros : http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I am currently at

1357 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbs (6%, 80 kcal)
    93 g Protein (27%, 372 kcal)
    101 g Fat (67%, 905 kcal)

This means, aim to hit your protein goal, stay under your carbs, and eat as much fat as you need to feel full - up to 101 grams. Fat makes you feel full so you often do not hit that number. Which means less calories :)