My coworker belives in magic! :(

I accepted a FB friend request by a coworker. I don't normally do it, but I went ahead. Every post this person makes is about selling some magic weight loss supplement. I'm pretty sure I was only friended to be marketed to. This person also brought in samples of a product into the office yesterday. I obviously declined. I have unfollowed them so I don't see the annoying posts, but now they are constantly wanting to talk about these "amazing" weight loss products. I am going to go off sooner or later. I have made it clear that I am not interested at all in these products. How do you deal with the pushy people in your life who try to sell you crap?????

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    If they are not taking no for an answer then I would talk to my supervisor or HR.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    I'm not being harassed, they are just being annoying...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Before you go off on them tell your supervisor they are distracting you from your work trying to sell you weight loss products (which is implying you need them and therefore implying you're overweight). It absolutely could turn into an HR issue if it continues.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    My co workers comment on my eating habits DAILY. No matter how much I shut them up. I try to mostly just let it slide off my back.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Before you go off on them tell your supervisor they are distracting you from your work trying to sell you weight loss products (which is implying you need them and therefore implying you're overweight). It absolutely could turn into an HR issue if it continues.

I would guess it is against company policy to sell stuff on company time.
  • qpmomma1
    Packerjohn wrote: »

We are a small company of less than 10 people. People sell girl scout cookies and fundraiser stuff. There is no policy on it. I may talk it over with the owner though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah, but people sell things like Girl Scout cookies, charity tickets, etc. without much grievance or objection too. It's likely more irritating though if it's something one doesn't like or believe in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Tell her you've got your health and weight perfectly under control and thanks for her offer, but you aren't in need of any help. If she continues, tell her to shove her crap where the sun don't shine.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm so sick of being harassed by acquaintances on Facebook and instagram about "magic" weightloss products too. I don't want to cause a fuss by un-friending people so I usually just un-follow but they keep sending me invites and messages etc. It's so annoying. I definitely agree that they only send friend requests so they can try and sell you their crap.

A few months ago I posted my before and after pics on instagram and immediately got a private message from a herbalife "friend" wanting to know if I was interested in taking part in a 30 weight loss challenge. Clearly she wanted to steal my results and make it look like her product did that.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    That and most companies don't allow soliciting which they are doing. Take it to your supervisor and HR, your coworker should get shutdown pretty fast.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    qpmomma1 wrote: »

Gee, an annoying co-worker. How so very odd. Whenever you see this person coming just tell him/her that you're not interested and get back to your work.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Had a similar thing happen when Juice+ thing was all the rage, I can understand your frustration. It used to drive me mad listening them talk to other who obviously had no idea about health and well being.
    My way of dealing with it was slightly harsh, I did a bit of research and basically made a note of the real facts regarding the "magical" qualities she claimed the product had. Every time from there onwards, when I'd hear them trying to sell the product with false info, I would intervene and give them both the correct fact/info.
    Soon the whole office knew it was all nonsense and eventually she gave up trying to sell around the office.

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Sometimes a simple: "Calorie deficit works fine for me" suffices...Thank you, but no Thank you.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    mine do too! mostly about jesus magic though.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    LOL my standard answer is "Oooh, I tried that and got the trots for days..."
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    If they don't have a policy about selling stuff at work, they may have a problem with how much time she's using trying to sell her own product while on their company time. If I were a manager I would. And if you have declined and she's still trying to sell to you that is harassment, even if she's nice about it. If none of that works and she keeps doing it, you could always tell her you don't have money to spend on things that don't work.
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    besaro wrote: »
    mine do too! mostly about jesus magic though.

Ha! Nice. That can also be an HR complaint.
  • qpmomma1
    pondee629 wrote: »

Gee, an annoying co-worker. How so very odd. Whenever you see this person coming just tell him/her that you're not interested and get back to your work.

I know, right?!? Seriously odd! ;) Trust me, I take your "advice" daily.
  • qpmomma1
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    LOL my standard answer is "Oooh, I tried that and got the trots for days..."

Hahaha! I may try it!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

I know, right?!? Seriously odd! ;) Trust me, I take your "advice" daily.

If you tell her daily that you aren't interested, she's harassing you.