Creatine

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It will most likely make you gain weight (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you should know). Get pure powdered creatine monohydrate (if it's pure brand doesnt matter) and take a semi-heaping teaspoon (5g) every day, whenever.

Yup, the weight is water though. Nothing major, I am just a little softer.

I use the USN brand, and the consistency is nice enough to mix into any drink. I take 5g a day.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yep been on it for about 3 months now. Def gained 4-5 pounds but then it leveled off. But my PR's have been consistently rising in all my major power lifts. I'm not sure how much of it is mental or how much is actually the creatine but I'll take the progress. Creatine is cheap enough and I haven't about any proven harmful side effects so even if by some chance it's snake oil it's not harming me. But reading all the studies posted above seems like some hard factual scientific evidence that it's quite beneficial.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    5g/day - I love that it is cheap and it works!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yep been on it for about 3 months now. Def gained 4-5 pounds but then it leveled off. But my PR's have been consistently rising in all my major power lifts. I'm not sure how much of it is mental or how much is actually the creatine but I'll take the progress. Creatine is cheap enough and I haven't about any proven harmful side effects so even if by some chance it's snake oil it's not harming me. But reading all the studies posted above seems like some hard factual scientific evidence that it's quite beneficial.

It's only harmful if you have serious kidney issues (like decreased function)
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Find a brand that uses creatine monohydrate, preferably from Creapure (Creapure is the brand of the "ingredient" creatine contained in whatever brand of creatine you choose).

There are other types of creatine that claim one benefit or another (faster uptake etc.) but they are typically more expensive and the good old creatine monohydrate has a fast enough uptake that any improvement wouldn't have any real benefit.

Also, getting a version that is micronized is a plus because it dissolves better (creatine doesn't really dissolve well unless it's in something thick like a protein shake).

To narrow it down, I use Optimum Nutrition creatine because it's:
    1) cheap
    2) micronized creatine monohydrate (by Creapure)
    3) cheap

ETA: as for dosage, recommendations do vary, with some people doing a loading phase and others not.

This is because creatine has the most benefit when you are saturated with as much as the body can hold (once you hit the threshold, any excess is excreted in your urine).
    A simple loading phase may look like 4 (5 gram) servings spread throughout the day over a week so that you hit saturation more quickly. After that, drop down to one serving per day.
    This is totally optional.
    You will still get saturated (albeit somewhat more slowly) and see benefits if you just start with one serving per day.

The micronized can be very important. I tried the creatine chews since I thought it would be easy to use at work. Little did I know I would be visiting the bathroom every 20 minutes. My digestive system apparently is not a fan of non-micronized.

Switched back to the powder and no problems since.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    A calorie surplus combined with progressive overload will increase lean mass. Creatine serves to increase muscular ATP levels, an energy source for your muscles, resulting in increases strength and post set recovery. Which can result in greater muscular gains. It also had a tendency to increase water retention resulting in a bloated look in some people. Allmax creatine MH is the brand I've come across the most and had the most luck with. It isn't a magic powder. Just a "supplement" you still have to push yourself.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ok, I got some creatine and started loading yesterday (15mg a day). I'm lifting every other day, whole body over three workouts. How long should I expect it to take before I notice a difference? What specifically should I be looking for?
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    15g I mean! Here's what I got:
    CREATINE POWDER 600g (OPTIMUM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DYIZEO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_VH1SwbR8YQ15K
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to do a loading period. It doesn't hurt anything, but its not necessary.

That said, it takes roughly a week before your body starts to have it built up enough that it can start making a difference.

I don't know if you can exactly "look for" anything. I was able to do more sets & reps, especially of my accessory work later in my workout without feeling as fatigued. Whether or not this was due to the creatine itself or the mental boost of thinking it was the creatine I don't know. But either way I did notice I could do a more with less rest in between.

I wouldn't get too focused on looking for anything honestly. Just take it, keep doing your workouts and if it feels like you have room to push yourself some more, do it. I think you'll eventually notice you're able to do more volume with less fatigue. The amount is going to vary from person to person.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I skimmed through and not sure if it was mentioned, but drinking lots of water is recommended.

I was taking creatine for a few years and then had a few bad blood tests showing high signs of kidney failure so I had to stop but I think it helps the more serious lifters out there. The people who are fairly new, probably won't notice much difference in rep gains.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I skimmed through and not sure if it was mentioned, but drinking lots of water is recommended.

I was taking creatine for a few years and then had a few bad blood tests showing high signs of kidney failure so I had to stop but I think it helps the more serious lifters out there. The people who are fairly new, probably won't notice much difference in rep gains.

Did you have any renal issues prior? There are literally dozens of studies that indicate Creatine is safe for people with healthy renal function. There are always outlyers, but in-general it's one of the safest supplements there are when taken properly.