Newly diagnosed and CONFUSED diabetic!

Options
I am having the hardest time figuring out the carbs thing. I have read dozens of books on the diabetes diets and carb situation and find it all confusing. One book says 45 grams per day another says 45% of your daily calorie intake can be carbs. One says count net carbs, while another says count full carbs and sugars separately. One says boost protein, one says protein doesn't outweigh carbs. UGGGG! I am new to the whole diabetes thing and can't make heads or tails of any of the information I am finding. I would really like an "eat this/not that" book specifically for diabetics.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Didn't your doctor refer to you a registered dietitian or diabetes education class? I would suggest attending such a class. Here is a locator: http://professional2.diabetes.org/erp_zip_search.aspx?utm_source=Offline&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=program-finder&utm_campaign=PRO
  • traceyg3362
    traceyg3362 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist wants to see at least 2 weeks of meal tracking in order to come up with a plan. Which I just started. In the meantime, they said to read up...so I did....and I had 20 books spread across the table at Barnes and Noble and couldn't find any one of them in agreement with another.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Agree ^^ Get with a dietician. TEST. Find out what causes your spikes, etc. I spent a week testing ALL DAY LONG and learned SO much about how my body reacts to certain foods...
  • traceyg3362
    Options
    Yeah, I have been testing and my numbers are all over the charts and even when i repeated a meal, they were different.
  • dotti1121
    Options
    Yeah :( Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it!
  • dotti1121
    Options
    Friend me so I can see your diary?
  • traceyg3362
    Options
    My diary is on paper. I haven't started recording online. Only because I tend to be more meticulous on paper. I might be able to get it all in by the weekend though.
  • traceyg3362
    Options
    How do I friend you dotti?
  • BeastForm
    BeastForm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was in this situation too. Simply put you have to make yourself as healthy and strong as possible. The first thing I did was google "how to be healthy". Not even joking. Now I've lost 47% of my body weight and I can deadlift 150kg. I spent all my free time the first 2 weeks researching. There is a lot of misinformation about health and fitness so use your common sense. Keep it simple. There are no fancy solutions. Just wholesome food and hard work. Once you get into it you will love it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist wants to see at least 2 weeks of meal tracking in order to come up with a plan. Which I just started. In the meantime, they said to read up...so I did....and I had 20 books spread across the table at Barnes and Noble and couldn't find any one of them in agreement with another.

I have several relatives with T2 and the same foods don't affect each in the same manner. It may take a few weeks of eating and measuring your blood sugar to see what foods you need to eliminate/limit and what are fine for you.
  • BeastForm
    Options

I have several relatives with T2 and the same foods don't affect each in the same manner. It may take a few weeks of eating and measuring your blood sugar to see what foods you need to eliminate/limit and what are fine for you.

This is good basic advice but you can move beyond this. I went on a diabetes course run by the NHS. They just recommend the same eating habits as a healthy person. I would suggest to have the mindset of always making improvements. This week the cakes go. Next week it's no sugar in my drinks etc. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but you have a potentially very serious condition. Use it as an unlimited well of motivation. Time to smash it out of the park.
  • traceyg3362
    Options
    The cakes have left the building 2 weeks ago, along with the white breads (all breads basically), sugar and rice. Let me tell you it isn't easy living in house with a chef and being a baker! The big issue is that I may not actually have type 2, but a latent type 1. Hence the wait 3 months to see what happens. Can't treat it properly without knowing which one I have. The doctor basically said it isn't a matter of "if" i need meds, it's more what kind of meds. That being said, I also have a super slow metabolism. 1st week lost 4 pounds...yay right....this week I gained 1.5. Seriously weird.
  • BeastForm
    Options
    The cakes have left the building 2 weeks ago, along with the white breads (all breads basically), sugar and rice. Let me tell you it isn't easy living in house with a chef and being a baker! The big issue is that I may not actually have type 2, but a latent type 1. Hence the wait 3 months to see what happens. Can't treat it properly without knowing which one I have. The doctor basically said it isn't a matter of "if" i need meds, it's more what kind of meds. That being said, I also have a super slow metabolism. 1st week lost 4 pounds...yay right....this week I gained 1.5. Seriously weird. [/
  • BeastForm
    Options
    I see well I am only type 2 but they said to me when I was diagnosed that I had already progressed to a state where I need to be on medication. I missed the warning signs and it got worse. Have background retinopathy in one eye. The meds made me dizzy but I kept on with the exercise. Eventually I got to a state where they had to take me off the meds due to the high risk of hypoglycemia. Now my blood sugar is always slap bang in the middle of the healthy range. You can make a big difference with proper diet and exercise. It's just the doctors don't expect you to be capable of it. Most people who get diabetes are fat and lazy and never change. Obviously bad things happen to these people. Weight loss will fluctuate. It's normal. Look at the overall trend and give it a while to see if you really need to lower your calories.
  • dotti1121
    Options
    BeastForm wrote: »
    I see well I am only type 2 but they said to me when I was diagnosed that I had already progressed to a state where I need to be on medication. I missed the warning signs and it got worse. Have background retinopathy in one eye. The meds made me dizzy but I kept on with the exercise. Eventually I got to a state where they had to take me off the meds due to the high risk of hypoglycemia. Now my blood sugar is always slap bang in the middle of the healthy range. You can make a big difference with proper diet and exercise. It's just the doctors don't expect you to be capable of it. Most people who get diabetes are fat and lazy and never change. Obviously bad things happen to these people. Weight loss will fluctuate. It's normal. Look at the overall trend and give it a while to see if you really need to lower your calories.

Awesome! How long was it until you got off your meds?
  • scmajm22
    scmajm22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time figuring out the carbs thing. I have read dozens of books on the diabetes diets and carb situation and find it all confusing. One book says 45 grams per day another says 45% of your daily calorie intake can be carbs. One says count net carbs, while another says count full carbs and sugars separately. One says boost protein, one says protein doesn't outweigh carbs. UGGGG! I am new to the whole diabetes thing and can't make heads or tails of any of the information I am finding. I would really like an "eat this/not that" book specifically for diabetics.

It is all about how your body processes sugar and since carbs breakdown into sugar you have to watch. My body does not do well with breaking down sugar in the mornings so I don't have carbs for breakfast. Learn your body and then create an eating plan around it.
  • BeastForm
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »
    BeastForm wrote: »

Awesome! How long was it until you got off your meds?

About 6 months if I remember correctly. It's worth mentioning that you should avoid the mentality of trying to do as much exercise as possible. Rest and recovery is just as important as exercise. Constantly doing loads of exercise will harm you eventually. If you want to start out walking for example, a good starting goal is to aim for 150 mins a week (NHS recommendation). So that allows plenty of time for rest. Also you should be aiming to get yourself out of breath to strengthen your heart and lungs. Even if its just a bit at first. Little steps add up. Keep looking toward that next goal.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Didn't your doctor refer to you a registered dietitian or diabetes education class? I would suggest attending such a class. Here is a locator: http://professional2.diabetes.org/erp_zip_search.aspx?utm_source=Offline&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=program-finder&utm_campaign=PRO

My reaction when I read the inevitable "didn't your doctor": ROFL (where's that smiley when I need it)

That reaction is both to the suggestion that a doctor might suggest it, and at the thought it might actually be useful. My experience with loved ones who went to such classes is that they are useless unless you are have an extremely elementary understanding of what a carb is (e.g., "How many carbs does a slab of steak have?"). It might teach you that (although it failed with my spouse). And, if the class succeeds in teaching you what a carb is, the advice about how many to eat is geared toward achieving (at best) diabetic-normal blood sugar levels. (I also have relatives who are in the nutritional counseling end of the industry, so I have had more exposure than the average beastie.)

I am grateful that my doctor did not recommend a class to me (or require me to go) - as it would have been a complete waste of time.

My advice: There is no magic. Only your meter, careful tracking, and elimination of foods that raise your blood sugar above the level you are comfortable. Track everything you eat - specifically tracking the carbs and fiber. Test your blood sugar before the first bite of anything new, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and (if hour 2 is higher than hour 1) again at 3 hours.

If your blood sugar, at any point - not just 2 hours - is higher than where you are comfortable, test the food again another day. If you confirm the results, either eliminate or consume smaller portions. Early in the testing stage, I tested up to 10 times a day - by now, since I know how my body will react to most foods - I am averaging around 3. Fasting, and a couple of checks if I am eating something that pushes the limit.

My goals are to keep my blood sugar within normal ranges (not diabetic normal). I used the process I outlined above - combined with the basic knowledge I already have about food content to make smart choices in the first place. My blood sugar has been in the normal range (below 140, including spikes after eating) 97% of the time since Oct 5, 3 days after diagnosis. (I didn't test earlier, so I don't know what happened in the first 3 days). I have been above 160 twice, and above 180 once in ~380 tests.

I am very sensitive to carbs. If I eat more than 20 net carbs in a sitting (and sometimes the gross matters), my blood sugar moves out of the range I am comfortable with. So I keep net carbs under 20 in a 3 hour period, and under net 50 in a day.

Most medical personnel helping manage diabetes aim for under 180 by two hours after eating. Since the spike typically occurs between 1 & 2 hours, that means it was even higher before the 2 hour mark.

The most recent research (12/2015) indicates that even moderately elevated blood glucose (prediabetes range) causes kidney damage - largely undiagnosed because it has been presumed that prediabetes is a harmless precursor to diabetes. The research doesn't back that up - and I am not content to aim for ranges that significantly increase the likelihood of diabetic complications.
  • dotti1121
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

My reaction when I read the inevitable "didn't your doctor": ROFL (where's that smiley when I need it)

That reaction is both to the suggestion that a doctor might suggest it, and at the thought it might actually be useful. My experience with loved ones who went to such classes is that they are useless unless you are have an extremely elementary understanding of what a carb is (e.g., "How many carbs does a slab of steak have?"). It might teach you that (although it failed with my spouse). And, if the class succeeds in teaching you what a carb is, the advice about how many to eat is geared toward achieving (at best) diabetic-normal blood sugar levels. (I also have relatives who are in the nutritional counseling end of the industry, so I have had more exposure than the average beastie.)

I am grateful that my doctor did not recommend a class to me (or require me to go) - as it would have been a complete waste of time.

My advice: There is no magic. Only your meter, careful tracking, and elimination of foods that raise your blood sugar above the level you are comfortable. Track everything you eat - specifically tracking the carbs and fiber. Test your blood sugar before the first bite of anything new, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and (if hour 2 is higher than hour 1) again at 3 hours.

If your blood sugar, at any point - not just 2 hours - is higher than where you are comfortable, test the food again another day. If you confirm the results, either eliminate or consume smaller portions. Early in the testing stage, I tested up to 10 times a day - by now, since I know how my body will react to most foods - I am averaging around 3. Fasting, and a couple of checks if I am eating something that pushes the limit.

My goals are to keep my blood sugar within normal ranges (not diabetic normal). I used the process I outlined above - combined with the basic knowledge I already have about food content to make smart choices in the first place. My blood sugar has been in the normal range (below 140, including spikes after eating) 97% of the time since Oct 5, 3 days after diagnosis. (I didn't test earlier, so I don't know what happened in the first 3 days). I have been above 160 twice, and above 180 once in ~380 tests.

I am very sensitive to carbs. If I eat more than 20 net carbs in a sitting (and sometimes the gross matters), my blood sugar moves out of the range I am comfortable with. So I keep net carbs under 20 in a 3 hour period, and under net 50 in a day.

Most medical personnel helping manage diabetes aim for under 180 by two hours after eating. Since the spike typically occurs between 1 & 2 hours, that means it was even higher before the 2 hour mark.

The most recent research (12/2015) indicates that even moderately elevated blood glucose (prediabetes range) causes kidney damage - largely undiagnosed because it has been presumed that prediabetes is a harmless precursor to diabetes. The research doesn't back that up - and I am not content to aim for ranges that significantly increase the likelihood of diabetic complications.

Now THAT'S a good reply! :) Can you expand on your fasting? Intermittent fasting is something I'm looking into...
  • traceyg3362
    edited February 2016
    Options
    About 6 months if I remember correctly. It's worth mentioning that you should avoid the mentality of trying to do as much exercise as possible. Rest and recovery is just as important as exercise. Constantly doing loads of exercise will harm you eventually. If you want to start out walking for example, a good starting goal is to aim for 150 mins a week (NHS recommendation). So that allows plenty of time for rest. Also you should be aiming to get yourself out of breath to strengthen your heart and lungs. Even if its just a bit at first. Little steps add up. Keep looking toward that next goal.[/quote]

Loads of exercise is not really going to be a problem for me. I am always too tired to move after work.