Haven't Lost/ Look At My Diary

Options
Hello!
I have not lost any weight in a few weeks and I am wondering why. My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look and offer your opinion.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost?

I see a fair amount of quick adds, some "cheat day" entries, and it looks like you aren't weighing solid foods. If you aren't losing, it may be a good opportunity to tighten up your logging.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How long is "a few weeks?" Are we talking like 6 or 2?

That said - you need to start logging much more accurately. Lots of quick add calories; entries like "0.5 pizza", '1 large banana' and '2 bars' means you're merely guesstimating at true caloric intake.

Food scale and weighing all solid food portions will help greatly with this.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same as janejellyroll! you don't log your 'cheat days' and way too many 'cup' entries! also, as a side note, the amount of protein you are eating makes me sad - some days only 30-40 grams???
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I actually do weigh all of my food using measuring cups and scales so the portions are accurate.
    The pizza is a frozen pizza and I cut it directly in half so that is why it says 0.5 pizza, because that is exactly what it is.
    I agree I could eat more protein.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    And it has been three weeks since I have lost.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    The cheat days I do not log but I do make sure it is under 1500 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I actually do weigh all of my food using measuring cups and scales so the portions are accurate.
    The pizza is a frozen pizza and I cut it directly in half so that is why it says 0.5 pizza, because that is exactly what it is.

So the entries like "1 banana," "1 slice," "1 package," "1 bar" are weighed?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is the popular flow chart that is pretty much 100% fool proof if you just follow it...

THIS MENTIONS about those cheat days you are NOT logging.. Can't be so sure they are are 1500 calories and under... :)

2v36lwzg5biz.jpg
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options

Yes, things that go by weight are weighed. The portion for "1 banana" is 121g so I make sure my banana is that size by cutting or adding. 1 Slice, is just that - 1 slice of bread. Also "1 package" is just that - 1 package. "1 Bar" is 1 granola bar. I don't see how that is difficult to understand.
    Ex. If I have a slice of HEB Honey Wheat Bread, I will log 1 Slice of HEB Honey Wheat Bread - making sure the caloric info on the package and on MFP are correct. I do not have to weigh the slice of bread as the nutritional data does not go by weight, but by slice. Same for a package that contains 2 granola bars. They do not need to be weighed. I eat one, so I log one.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks like you might not be logging everything. Did you really go to Texas roadhouse and only eat a 6oz sirloin, 1 skewer of grilled shrimp, and a cup of green beans? No rolls? Did you really get queso at Taco Cabana and not have any chips?

It also looks like you're not really eating many vegetables. Are you eating them and just not logging?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You can't weigh food with measuring cups. Those are for volume, and liquid only. So.. weigh everything and only use cups for liquids.

You eat a lot of packaged food. Not a huge deal, but labels can be inaccurate by 30%, and the food is often heavier than what the package says as well.

And without knowing what your cheat day was, you could have easily wiped out a week or two of deficit.

Otherwise, see the chart above.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yes, things that go by weight are weighed. The portion for "1 banana" is 121g so I make sure my banana is that size by cutting or adding. 1 Slice, is just that - 1 slice of bread. Also "1 package" is just that - 1 package. "1 Bar" is 1 granola bar. I don't see how that is difficult to understand.

Because you said you weighed everything, and your log doesn't reflect that.
    Ex. If I have a slice of HEB Honey Wheat Bread, I will log 1 Slice of HEB Honey Wheat Bread - making sure the caloric info on the package and on MFP are correct. I do not have to weigh the slice of bread as the nutritional data does not go by weight, but by slice. Same for a package that contains 2 granola bars. They do not need to be weighed. I eat one, so I log one.

No...that's exactly the point. You DO have to weigh them (if your goal is to be accurate)

Not every slice of bread weighs the same. Every 'package' or 'bar' doesn't weigh the same.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Your diary looks like you might not be logging everything. Did you really go to Texas roadhouse and only eat a 6oz sirloin, 1 skewer of grilled shrimp, and a cup of green beans? No rolls? Did you really get queso at Taco Cabana and not have any chips?

It also looks like you're not really eating many vegetables. Are you eating them and just not logging?

Absolutely. What goes into my mouth, goes into my log.I talked to my waiter and made sure he understood exactly what I wanted and my steak came out cut to portion and I gave the other piece to by husband.
    And as for Taco Cabana, yes, I did have queso with no chips because I used my queso to dip my flautas in.

I agree I should eat more vegetables.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Package weight can be off, up to 20%, according to FDA guidelines. You may want to try weighing things just to check. My bread is typically 10% heavy. Such as package may say 2 slices = 41 grams, but its really 46 grams.

If you do feel your logging is accurate, you may need to just be more patient. I'm not sure how much weight you have left to lose or what rate of loss you're aiming for. If its a small deficit (.5 pounds per week) then its really easy to make little errors that add up to 250 calories per day. On the CI or CO side. The CO is always a guestimate at best. So tighten up logging (CI), and add in an extra 20-30 minutes a day of movement when possible (CO).
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I do understand what you're saying and I'm sorry if my responses are upsetting you. Pre-packaged foods like granola bars or bread can have variations from what is shown on the package. The nutritional information for a slice of bread is based on the average slice of bread -- your specific piece may be different. If you look at the label, you should be able to see a weight given for the weight they are assuming and, when you weigh your piece, you can see if it is more or less. Someone recently posted an example of how not weighing bread led them to consume hundreds more calories they thought they were.

Despite what we've been led to believe, pre-packaged foods *do* need to be weighed. The nutritional data is based on the average and legally they can be more or less than that. While these differences may be small, when you're facing a stall it could be a potential cause -- you're eating more than you think.

You asked for input and I'm providing it. If you don't want advice, just let me know.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    This is the popular flow chart that is pretty much 100% fool proof if you just follow it...

THIS MENTIONS about those cheat days you are NOT logging.. Can't be so sure they are are 1500 calories and under... :)

2v36lwzg5biz.jpg

Very helpful, thank you. I do have a thyroid condition and take synthetic thyroid so it might be worth adjusting. However, I would like to think I am not eating/exercising properly before I run to adjust medication.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

Absolutely. What goes into my mouth, goes into my log.I talked to my waiter and made sure he understood exactly what I wanted and my steak came out cut to portion and I gave the other piece to by husband.
    And as for Taco Cabana, yes, I did have queso with no chips because I used my queso to dip my flautas in.

I agree I should eat more vegetables.

Texas Roadhouse green beans come smothered in butter. I don't see that logged.

I'm not trying to pick nits, but just trying to illustrate the point that your diary does NOT reflect any sort of accuracy. If you're not losing and you expect to be, upping accuracy is the first place to start.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Then how do you know they're under 1500 calories if you don't log them?

And I agree with all of the above. Weigh everything.
    For example, my bread is 43g for a serving. Sometimes it ends up being 46g. Or my yogurt is supposed to be 155g and it's 148g. All of these things count.

Weigh, in grams. Don't use generic "1 banana" entries. Use things like "Bananas, Raw" then enter the weight (out of 100g, if your banana weighs 141g, then put 1.41 servings, etc).
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options

I do understand what you're saying and I'm sorry if my responses are upsetting you. Pre-packaged foods like granola bars or bread can have variations from what is shown on the package. The nutritional information for a slice of bread is based on the average slice of bread -- your specific piece may be different. If you look at the label, you should be able to see a weight given for the weight they are assuming and, when you weigh your piece, you can see if it is more or less. Someone recently posted an example of how not weighing bread led them to consume hundreds more calories they thought they were.

Despite what we've been led to believe, pre-packaged foods *do* need to be weighed. The nutritional data is based on the average and legally they can be more or less than that. While these differences may be small, when you're facing a stall it could be a potential cause -- you're eating more than you think.

You asked for input and I'm providing it. If you don't want advice, just let me know.

That does make sense and thank you for enlightening me.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Then how do you know they're under 1500 calories if you don't log them?

And I agree with all of the above. Weigh everything.
    For example, my bread is 43g for a serving. Sometimes it ends up being 46g. Or my yogurt is supposed to be 155g and it's 148g. All of these things count.

Weigh, in grams. Don't use generic "1 banana" entries. Use things like "Bananas, Raw" then enter the weight (out of 100g, if your banana weighs 141g, then put 1.41 servings, etc).

I plan what I will eat in advance, I just do not log it. Looking back at it in the log causes problems for me. Makes sense.